Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Where to get appraisals?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  10:49:57 AM  Show Profile
I want to get appraisals on my guitars to find out replacement values for insurance purposes. Does anyone know of places (preferably in So. Cal) that does guitar appraisals?

For most of them I can get values form the web & ebay but I have a couple that are out of the ordinary and need to be appraised.

Thanks in advance

Dusty

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  12:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Dusty -

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV... but all you need for insurance purposes is some way to document the replacement cost. For a relatively new instrument, that could mean something as simple as a price list or a pdf of a webpage showing the make and model, along with your original bill of sale.

It is a little different when you need to get the value of a vintage instrument that has appreciated in value. In that case you'd need a letter from someone who would be recognized as knowledgeable by an impartial judge. That could be someone at yer local music store, like Buffalo Brothers. McCabes in West LA has been dealing vintage guitars longer than anybody, so I'd give them a call, too.

I'd also suggest speaking with your insurance agent first to see what is, and what isn't, covered. F'rinstance-- some of my instruments are insured under a rider to my homeowner's policy as part of my "collection," but since I use others for work, I have to get a completely different policy for them.

As I said, a simple letter from my local vintage instrument dealer was all I needed. The guy was happy to do it gratis, since I've been keeping him in caviar and corndogs for many years now...

BTW: Getting a certified appraisal, such as you would use for an auction, etc, is another matter. The guys who do that, like Dave Gruhn in Nashville, charge a pretty penny for the service.

And then there's the guy on "Antiques Roadshow" who apparently "appraised" a garden-variety Weissenborn for $14,000. Gawd, I hope that is an urban legend!!

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  2:44:18 PM  Show Profile
Try this link. You will notice "Appraisals" on a side menu button.
http://www.gruhnguitar.com/

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  5:57:25 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Dusty! Try calling Stan Werbin, president of Elderly Instruments, (888) 473-5810 or elderly @ elderly.com. He helped me source-out here in Washington on my 1937 Martin D-18, factory built for slack key, koa back and sides with spruce top.

Herb
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  05:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Dusty,
Stan Jay at Mandolin Bros. in Statten Island N.Y. also would be a good source. He gave an appraisal of my 1846 Schmidt & Maul parlor guitar after i sent some pictures to him.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  09:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I would think of McCabe's, Buffalo Bros, Shade Tree, Luthiers Collection, or Fine Guitar Consultants.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  11:08:56 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Hey Dusty -

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV... but all you need for insurance purposes is some way to document the replacement cost. For a relatively new instrument, that could mean something as simple as a price list or a pdf of a webpage showing the make and model, along with your original bill of sale.

It is a little different when you need to get the value of a vintage instrument that has appreciated in value. In that case you'd need a letter from someone who would be recognized as knowledgeable by an impartial judge. That could be someone at yer local music store, like Buffalo Brothers. McCabes in West LA has been dealing vintage guitars longer than anybody, so I'd give them a call, too.

I'd also suggest speaking with your insurance agent first to see what is, and what isn't, covered. F'rinstance-- some of my instruments are insured under a rider to my homeowner's policy as part of my "collection," but since I use others for work, I have to get a completely different policy for them.

As I said, a simple letter from my local vintage instrument dealer was all I needed. The guy was happy to do it gratis, since I've been keeping him in caviar and corndogs for many years now...

BTW: Getting a certified appraisal, such as you would use for an auction, etc, is another matter. The guys who do that, like Dave Gruhn in Nashville, charge a pretty penny for the service.

And then there's the guy on "Antiques Roadshow" who apparently "appraised" a garden-variety Weissenborn for $14,000. Gawd, I hope that is an urban legend!!

Hey, Mark! I have a bunch of stuff to be appraised up here in Seattle. Do you know of anyone here who is reputable? Wilth all my foibles, I'm rewriting my will (the old one, of course, gave everythng to my ex), and I'm trying to get all of my instruments appraised. Ex: a bass like my 68 p-bass, which I got for $250 in 1972 recently went for $6K or so on e-bay - yikes! I figured it was worth a thou or so. btw, I saw the AR with the Weisenborn. It was above the standard - had the exotic purfling that the better ones have, but in no way was it worth THAT much! They go for around $9-14K on ebay, tho, if they are old enough.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  11:45:03 AM  Show Profile
Hawzit, Keaka! Actually, you can use eBay for insurance valuation. I do for my USAA coverage on Kamaka concert, Po Mahina baritone (receipted), Po Mahina guitar (receipted), and Takamine guitar (receipted). Course, the coverage depends on the premium you'd agree to pay FOR A REPLACEMENT-equivalent. Whatever you do, stay away from Charles "Chick" Edwards on Hansville, WA. There are three liens on his house because he does not pay his bills. I have a court order against him for my 1937 Martin D18 (see above) which Stan Werbin appraised at $24,000. I can tell you this WITHOUT libel or slander because I've a court order to prove it.

Albeit, when in Seattle do mention his name and deal with caution with that source.
Aloha, Herb
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  12:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Jack -

quote:
Do you know of anyone here who is reputable?

I'd start with a call to Joe Vinikow. http://www.archtop.com/

If he isn't the right guy, he'll know who is.
quote:
Ex: a bass like my 68 p-bass, which I got for $250 in 1972 recently went for $6K or so on e-bay - yikes!

Yeah, and all I got is this 67 Framus....

Hope yer feeling better.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000