Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Nylon Strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  11:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi all,

given my recent experience with Cleartone, i'm eager to find out what experience you've had with nylon strings rather than forging out on my own. i'm currently using Hannabach high tensions, and i like them (although i get some fuzzy buzzing noise on the fourth string (listen to http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/uanoho.mov - the first five notes). i've also played with LaBella 2001 medium tension, which i liked (the buzziness was still there). i've also been eyeballing galli genio medium and high tension strings.

what's your experiences?

aloha,
keith

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  11:07:29 AM  Show Profile
I get the buzzing with Hannabach. Last few years I've been using Luthier high tension (blue) which were recommended by the luthier who made my guitar. I've also switched my other guitar to them. Nice warm sound for slack key, good clear highs and chimes. Before that I used Hense and really liked them, but they started to have production problems, like the strings unnrravvelliinng. I've heard that those problems are cleared up, but I keep with the recommended strings since they do sound great on my instruments.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  1:24:46 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Keith,

I’ve used Savarez and Hannabach, but settled on D’Addario Pro Arte’ Composite, Extra Hard Tension strings. They have minimal squeak, respond well to moving between C and F tunings, and last a long time. The composite third provides a nice balance between the treble and bass. I think they sound great on the Halia.

They are expensive, but as you no doubt know there are many places, like musicians friend.com, where you can save a lot.

Larry

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  6:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
raymond, i've never heard of luthier, but i'll pick up a set. and larry, i've read that different instruments play better with different strings, and since you and i both have hali`a, i'll try d'addario pro arte; composites.

what have you noticed are the differences with the harder tensions?

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  1:13:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
what have you noticed are the differences with the harder tensions?

You get a stronger, cleaner note, especially when the string is tuned down to C. Or, as someone who plays a lot in F Wahine has observed, "they don't flop around as much."

Also, maybe it's just my ear, but I think the half-steps farther up the neck are more in tune with harder tension strings.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  4:58:27 PM  Show Profile
Fpr me it is more of a question of floppy strings, but for taro patch, which is mostly what I play, most High Tension strings are fine. On my really good guitar, when I get strings which are too high a tension, the sound looses some softness and some of its beauty.

I didn't know of Luthier brand until the luthier who made my guitar said he thinks they are the berst for his models. Work fine on my cheapie, too, so I use them for both because that way I get some discount for buying more at once.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  07:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
A report on a new string - I did try a set of the Genio Titanio medium tension on my hali`a. I just had to try strings that were named "genius" in Italian!

I prefer them to the Hannabach on my guitar. They aren't very noisy at all, they don't have the fuzz problem on the fourth string. They sound a bit softer on the higher strings, and sound great on the lower strings.

Raymond, have you tried other Luthier strings? How did you settle on blue as compared to, say, #45 (concert dark silver)?

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  09:45:34 AM  Show Profile
Recommendation of the luthier who made my guitar.
I did try dark silver, but preferred the tone of the "blue" - my guitar has a very strong bass response, the blues helped bring out more bell like trebles.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000