Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Dennis Kamakahi is Recovering
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  6:13:01 PM  Show Profile
I thought that it would be a good idea to copy Dennis' post about his health condition here, as opposed to being under the "Aloha Music Camp 2008" thread.

Andy may delete this and move Dennis' thread as he sees fit!

...Lawrence

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Aloha Everybody,

Since my recent 3 day hospitalization at Maui Memorial Hospital directly after my performance at the Maui Slack Key Festival on June 22nd, I've been doing pretty well.

It was a mind jolting experience for me to be admitted to the Emergency Rm and find out that I was in a near diabetic coma condition especially when I didn't even know I had diabetes. Thank God my wife Robin was on the trip with me or I wouldn't be alive today to write this post.

Many thanks to all my friends who have written to me to check up on how I'm doing especially to Wanda, BWOP, Kevin and Jolene Brown and their 'Ohana who took care of my wife while I was hospitalized in Maui, to my fellow Slack Key Buddy Ledward Ka'apana who came to the hospital and jammed with me and Ikaika Brown for an hour turning the whole 5th Floor Ward quiet hour after lunch into a private concert w/standing ovations and multiple hana hous especially from the doctors, nurses, and patients......LOL....To Mike Kaawa who checked up on me everyday via phone from Honolulu, to my mentor Eddie Kamae who called while on a mainland trip to see if everything was alright, to George and Nancy Kahumoku who kept in touch while I was in the hospital, and of course the nurses and hospital staff who answered the many questions I had as far diet and medication. I don't think I could have been in a better hospital to recover than Maui Memorial.

Presently I'm living a whole new lifestyle. Strict carbo counting, watching my glucose level everyday, walking 1.5 mi every morning, and more conscience on what and when I eat. I use to just eat one meal a day but now have 3 meals of 60 carbos max per meal and a snack at midmorning or midafternoon if my glucose level is low.

One of the good things about my hospital stay was that I could tap into the endless dietary information while in the hospital which included local foods too. I now have my charts that tell me how much carbs I can have and still have my local foods and not feel too restrictive as to my choice of food to eat. I think the most important thing I've learned is that 60 carbs per meal is the magic number. I've stuck to it for a month and I feel better and have more energy. I'm also more aware of low blood sugar and its effects. So I make sure now when I go anywhere, I make sure I have my fruit and glucose bars with me at all times.

However, my eyesight is still blurred from the high glucose but improving each day. I have to wait for a month before I can get a new prescription for my glasses until the glucose level gets back to normal.

As far as my mainland performances, I have cancelled all concerts for the rest of 2008 and will perform concerts only in Hawai'i until Dec. of 2008. I will be doing some Slack Key Workshops in Hawai'i coming up in December so that will be therapy for me. I should have my new eyeglass prescription by then so I'll actually see clearly who I'm talking to.

It's been quite an experience for me this past month, and I look forward to the future and the release of my new CD in 2009.

Again to all my friends and 'ohana here on Taropatch.net, I will definitely see all of you in 2009 if not sooner.

Aloha,
Dennis Kamakahi ( DA REV )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - naukilo on 07/21/2008 3:33:19 PM

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/21/2008 6:13:35 PM

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  7:53:04 PM  Show Profile
Rev. Dennis, you will have mine and my wife's prayers, and we'll have our congregation offer a prayer for you this coming weekend. Glad to hear it isn't more "serious," i.e. something about which very little can be done. We'll miss you, but have memories of lessons in Patrick's garage and your cd's.
Malama pono
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  01:44:53 AM  Show Profile
Dennis - you know our aloha for you is strong and genuine. I'll bet there is not a person here who has not been touched some way by your aloha, either in person or through your wonderful music.

Type 2 diabetes is a scourge. It appears almost epidemic nowadays. There is a great genetic tendency for diabetes, so if you have a family member with diabetes, please make sure your doctor checks you at least annually with a routine blood sugar test. Ladies who have large babies -- 9 lbs. or over frequently go on to develop type 2 diabetes. Ladies who develop gestational diabetes later on tend to develop type 2 diabetes. Body weight has a lot to do with it as well. In type 2 diabetes, your body frequently does not make sufficient quantities of insulin. Common sense tells you that if it does not make enough for a 200 lb. body, that the 200 lbs. reduced by 25 lbs. gives more insulin for the body to use. Every pound you drop, gives more available insulin. Activity, exercise just walking, makes the body more efficient at using the insulin it does produce. Many times, exercise, diet and losing weight are all that you need to do to be able to get away from the oral medications. The oral meds have long term bad effects. Moreover, diabetes have plenty of bad long term effects -- vision problems. kidney problems, peripheral nerve and circulation problems, and worse yet, heart problems. Sound like anyone you know? Yep, me. My doc tells me no way of preventing the inevitable problems that come with long term diabetes. These problems, however, can be postponed, the longer the better, IF you tightly control your blood sugar and keep active. Matter of fact, the way you are supposed to eat and live with diabetes, frankly make good sense. The diet is a good one. But, you cannot look at it as a diet, you must look at it as your new lifestyle, a new way of living.

And ui-ha, living is the whole idea, yeah?

Auntie Wanda is pau lecturing and way happy Dennis is still here with us and that Robin has someone to snuggle up to on those cold winter nights. Oh, wait, no cold winter nights? Sorry, Dennis.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  06:11:37 AM  Show Profile
Uncle Dennis - Get well soon. Like Raymond, I have great memories of my lessons with you in Patrick's garage too. I look forward to seeing you sometime next year and hope to get more opportunities to learn from you. Please take care.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  06:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
It's wonderful to learn that you are recovering and getting this condition quickly under control. Someone close to you and your family had told me a few weeks ago what was going on, so we've been worried and anxious to hear news of your health.
Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  06:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
Aloha once again,

Hey thanks everybody for the great support, well wishes, and of course I look at this whole event that I've been through as a rebirth. I'm glad I'm still able to do what I truly love and that is to write, perform, and play music.

I will be on tour again in 2009 with George Kahumoku and Uncle Richard Ho'opi'i on a Grammy tour in mid March. Looking forward to that for sure. In the meantime, I'm making sure I'm 200% well and fit for the tour.

I'm also doing more research on some songs I've done with the Sons of Hawai'i many years ago to add and include in my show presentation. It seems 2009 is going to be a great year and I'm surely ready to get back ON THE ROAD AGAIN.

Aloha,
Dennis
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  2:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Glad to hear you are on the path to good health. It was a scare for us all. Hope that tour gets somewhere I can get close to. Love to hear those Sons songs again.

quote:
ON THE ROAD AGAIN

And speaking of country music, I believe you and I still have an unspecified date to play some honky tonk songs somewhere down the line. I do have a tele ukulele, dontcha know.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  3:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Uncle Dennis,

You are in my prayers this evening and will be over the course of your recovery. May God bless you with a speedy and full recovery.

--Mark
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  3:49:25 PM  Show Profile
Dennis,

Mahalo for posting. I was very worried about you and am happy to hear you're on the road to recovery.

We missed you a lot at the workshop and I'm happy to hear you'll be at the Dec. workshop.

Warmest aloha,
Your haumana

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  6:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Rev, prayers for a speedy recovery.

Aloha,
Lee

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  05:08:25 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Dennis,

Mahalo for the update, Dennis. It sounds like you could not have gotten better care for body *and spirit* while recovering!
We're very happy, and relieved, to know you are doing better and can make plans to get back to your music.

you are in our thoughts,
me ke aloha,
Sarah and Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  05:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Uncle Dennis,

It was quite a shock to read your post. You're in our prayers for a speedy recovery. Get well soon.

Lawrence, thanks for moving this post over here.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  06:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
dennis,

we're all happy to hear you're recovering. it was too close a call.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  1:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
So Dennis,
Welcome to da club, not da babooze club, but da diabetes club. Always remember to stay on top of this because diabetes kills more Hawaiians than any other disease and it isn't your time yet. But if you like got plany room in da babooze club too, can join if you like.
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  7:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Aloha e Rev. Dennis -

Just sending best aloha to you. Glad you are making a new life. You have been daily in my thoughts these past two months while I have been getting down Hilo Rag. Mahalo nui for your many musical gifts to all of us. May your recovery go as easily as possible.

Mark E
Go to Top of Page

vscotth
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  8:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit vscotth's Homepage
Aloha Uncle Rev Dennis,

So glad to hear that you are on the road to better health. The time you shared with me at George's workshop in 2007 was a very special experience for me, and we all missed your presence there this year.

I still hear a great banjo part for "By and By Ho 'i Mai 'Oe" (Na 'Oiwi - the Sequel), so maybe I'll play it for you when next we meet.

A hui hou,
Scott
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000