Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Dennis Kamakahi is Recovering
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Aloha Uncle

I have been away from da patch for the last month I guess. What a shock to hear of the close call with the diabetic coma. It is wonderful to read your posts since then and hear the positiveness in them. Although I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting you personally, your music, your songs, and your voice have all been strong influences on my own music. Mahalo nui for all of that.

Best regards
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  11:10:22 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Uncle Dennis,

What a shock to learn about this.

Please know that you are in my thoughts. I feel so fortunate to have met you and to have been able to spend a little time with you when you were in the Santa Cruz and San Jose area this past year. Even before that, I remember that I asked you to say a prayer for my wife when she was having surgery, and you emailed me your reply that you would. I did not intend for me to have to do the same for you. But know that I have.
My deepest wishes for your continued recovery.

Norman

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  11:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Rev Kamakahi,
Sorry for your pilikea. Hope to see you on your feet soon. But take it slow. You have been an inspiration to many of us and we all wish you good health and long life. Mahalo...

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  08:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Aloha uncle D. I know we communicated offline, but just wanted to post my well wishes here as well. Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery! You're in our mana'o!

Steven
Go to Top of Page

mele kane
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  3:57:05 PM  Show Profile
What is a mescal? I think that if you know what the babooze club is, you don't explain it to fellow taro patchers. Dennis, you and everybody that loves music and slack key, is always in my dreams and prayers, and the music itself. Listened to your music today. Think you got the right idea about a rebirth. What a great way to look at it. I have it two and was in denial for too long. But now it's my second or third or ... life. Thank you again for the aloha and the music. Stay away from the guava juice! Love you man, Bruce

On time, In tune, Aloha
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  10:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Mescal is not for me, just look what it did to those redworms!
Rev. Dennis, glad to hear you are still hanging in with us. Take good care, listen to the Dr., and stay around a long time to come.Stop and smell the pua's. Only smell the pua'a's when they're cooking.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  8:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
Aloha kakou apau,

Hey fellow taropatch 'ohana members. Thanks so much for the prayers and support. I'm doing so much better with each week that passes. I was just amazed at how many people, just like me, learn they have diabetes in similar episodes like mine. As for membership in the diabetes club, it was not a club that I intended to join by choice, but, nevertheless, I can see that I'm in good company with many other distinguished members of this taropatch 'ohana in this unique club and proud to be among their ranks.

I'm still keeping busy with music and just finished a studio session with my son David who is currently recording his next CD to be released next year. I'm finishing up my own CD for release in time for a March/April 2009 Grammy Artist Tour w/George Kahumoku and Richard Ho'opi'i. Seems like Carnegie Hall is on the horizon, Wolf Trap Barns, Old Town School in Chicago, Cedar Theater in Minneapolis, Great American Music Hall in SF, and other cities on the U.S. Mainland as well as British Columbia, Canada. The complete list of cities will be posted when the time gets closer and venues are confirmed.

This year makes 42 years in the professional music business and I think I do more traveling now than ever before. Hopefully, 2009 will be a year of even more concert tours. I'm still setting my sights on Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

Well time to get back to the music. Here's wishing all of you a very safe summer.

Aloha,
Dennis (Da Rev.)

Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  10:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
Hey Dennis ... get well. I'm in that awful club too and it's no fun. All the diet stuff can get old and boring but I'm counting carbs as well. Was wondering why you weren't on the Old Town School schedule. Hope to see you next year. I have my sights on Australia too ... you know why!!!

Miss chatting with you on IM. Hope you'll be on again soon.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

Pmahany
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  3:21:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh, take care Dennis. I was diagnosed Type II the day before the 2007 Kahumoku Music Camp. I lost forty pounds, and lost my office job. It (the diabetes) now under good control cause I'm a carpenter, (not for hire), again and ~10-40 carbs a meal and test 2-3 times a day. It work! Will see you again. Love your music. Wendy says take care too. Grandkids yet?

Honokowai Pete
Go to Top of Page

bolofusion
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  10:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit bolofusion's Homepage
been a while since been on here, a shock to hear!
lost my mom and a few relatives( runs in my ohana ) to diabetes.
speedy recovery, then you can keep filling everyones hearts with your beautiful music.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  04:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Dennis! Due to the arrival of our new granddaughter Melia on July 2nd, I have not visited the forum much recently and it was quite a shock to hear about your scare with diabetes. I want to add our prayers and good wishes for your speedy recovery. You and your music have been an inspiration for me since I started learning slack key years ago. We have been to all of your concerts here in Washington since we moved here from Hawaii in 2002 and we look forward to the release of your new CD and to seeing you in concert again here in the future.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  8:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
Auwe! I am so glad you're on the road to wellness. My kumu in Wai'anae participated in the Wai'anae diet program to help reduce her colesterol and her quality of life improved 100%. At that time, (1990?) Dr. Shintani was offering free screening and meals to all takers. She checked in in the morning for blood pressure and insulin level check, then she got her meals for the day at a local place in town. If I remember right, she told me it was for the first month that the food was provided as a way to get the volunteers used to the new diet and way of eating and thinking. Her favorite part of the program was when they said she could eat all the poi she wanted in between meals. I can still see her carrying around a bag of poi for snack on today.

A prayer for your health and safe travels in 2009.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  10:12:29 AM  Show Profile
Add one more, late prayer...and thankful you are healing.
Missed hearing all your great tunes and stories at camp this year.
And thanks to Lawrence for putting this up.
Keep healin' bruddah.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  12:48:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
And thanks to Lawrence for putting this up.
Keep healin' bruddah.
I did not quite "put it up", Dennis posted this in the AMC 2008 thread and I copied it into another thread, since Dennis was not at AMC 2008, and also since folks who were not at AMC 2008 (and therefore not looking at that thread) might not even notice it.

I am glad that copying it gave the message more exposure as I had hoped it would, but hopefully not more exposure than Dennis wanted!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000