Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 String order on 12-string for slack key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  2:17:27 PM  Show Profile
Just picked up a '75 Takamine 12-string. Excellent condition, action and tone, but it needs a little fret work. Before I restring it I'd like some dialogue on the "best" string order on the base strings to play slack key. The recommendation is to place the higher octave string first, then the lower. I know that Rickenbacker does it differently and it would appear that I'd like to have the bigger base string on top for finger style playing. This was Don Narup's 12-string and the strings were reversed when I got it. Don also played this with only the larger G string present (11 strings) . I think the nut will work either way, but I'm goimg to have it checked when I get the frets reworked. I'll be using Elixir nanoweb lights (10 - 47). Any thoughts about the order; also can I get away with putting mediums (12 - 53) on this rig?

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  2:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
terry, do you know tom lunneberg? he's a local slack key player i've been trying for awhile to come to the kaisen open mike - he lives in carlsbad. dennis lake is building a 12 string for him. they're talking about experimenting a bit to have the strings of the pairs be at slightly different heights to help with picking ^_^ anyway, he's been thinking a lot about 12 strings, and so might be a good source of information...

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  08:05:52 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if any makers other than Rickenbacher use the low string on top arrangement, I've never seen any others that did. But remember that the strings should not be overly loose in the nut slots. The narrow slots can be widened, but the wide ones can't be narrowed. To change what you have will require a new nut. Not an overly expensive item, even if you don't do it yourself. The other thing to consider is you will be striking some strings with up strokes and some with down strokes. You'll notice the difference on the bass strings, but as the two highest pairs are tuned in unisons, the difference on the finger strings is noticable only on the third pair. I'm not convinced the difference would be worth the effort. I tried using an .008 high third string as a high second string, and tuning a couple frets lower than normal several times. That sounded good, but the .008 never lasted more than a few days, and I gave that up a long time ago.The idea still intrigues me,but it never was practical. I don't break a string very often, but when it happens, it's always the high G.(Are we back to high/low G again?)
On another note, It's good to know at least one of Don's guitars is still in the o'hana. He was just plain good people. One of the first examples of aloha Wanda & I were greeted with when Hawaiian music rang our bell.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  10:19:05 AM  Show Profile
thanks Paul. Linda's gradually selling Don's stuff. Slkho (Rick Nieves)bought one of Don's electric guitars. The Goodall didn't go to our group but found a good home, nonetheless.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
521 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  6:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
I usually do a custom set-up on my 12 strings. For fingerpicking purposes, the third pair (G strings) almost always have my fingers on an up stroke, so I never seem to hit the octave of the pair. It spound sa little weird to have that one string not have a paired sound. I typically have a new nut made that puts the octave G toward the floor, reverse from normal. All the rest stay as-is. Save the original nut in case you want to convert it back.

For the bass (6th) string, I prefer to have the octave string on top. My thumb strokes can hit both on the down swing. I sometimes have lowered the higher pitched of the pair in the nut just a bit so that the attack is more even with a normal thumb stroke.

On my Taylor 12 string, I usually tune it down one whole step (D to D in "standard" tuning) or in taro patch, but the bass of the sixth pair can get a little floppy. I have used a string one size heavier than normal for this one particular position.

When I asked Taylor, they said that medium gauge strings were OK if you tuned down a whole step, but the overall tension was a bit higher than desired when tuned up to standard pitch. You would definitiely need a truss rod adjustment to overcome the extra pull.

Taro patch sort of splits the difference between standard tuning down a whole step and regular tuning. The G string is the tighest one on the guitar, and it stays at regular pitch even in taro patch. Using mediums might add a bit too much stress on the neck over the long run.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  12:16:21 AM  Show Profile
I always buy Paul D'Addario extra light strings for his 12 string guitar.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  07:57:00 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the input. I decided to get a new nut cut and reverse the string order. I also had them cut it for mediums. I usually play Taro Patch F or Open D down one step and the my tech guys said the mediums would work. I was told that some of the older Takamines copied Martin bracing (they were apparently sued).
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  08:05:18 AM  Show Profile
Keith,
How ca we get a hold of Tom L? Boy, Fred and Andy Powers played "the socks off" of some Djano jazz stuff. Andy makes about six guitars a year, all special orders, one ukulele, mostly archtops. Sweet!
Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  7:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
Let me know how you like the set up. I have two guitars with tradional set ups. I never saw the reversed strings before. I have wondered about set-up too but never thought to reversed the octave strings. I just got used to not always hitting them when I play.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  07:42:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
I was told that some of the older Takamines copied Martin bracing (they were apparently sued).
Go to Top of Page

I guess that's why older Taks sounded so good.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000