Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 going nude (thumb)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  2:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
thanks, raymond! but... I still have a long ways to go - at least now I'm not stopping every five minutes and staring at my thumb.

in a few days i'll record myself doing Ua Noho Au A Kupa since I have a recent recording of me doing this with a thumb pick and open myself up for critique. (way too much string squeak)

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  8:51:09 PM  Show Profile
I hope no one tells that master Ledward about the naked thing...kidding aside, I'm a fan of Ledward's style as well as Jeff Peterson, who doesn't use picks and gets fantastic dynamics as well. Although I have seen Jeff pick up a flat pick when jamming & the other players were overpowering him.

I go both ways, depending on the song. I started using the thumbpicks when I took up the steel guitar.

Nahenahe

Edited by - jmk on 08/12/2008 12:21:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  7:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
For what its worth, I've taken to alaska piks and bare thumb with grown out outside edge of nail. I like being able to do the brushes with the alaska piks and yet get a clear tone with the nail (backed by the alaska pick). The alaska piks tend to even out the volume and tone between fingers, and matches them well to the thumb. Anyway, I like the combo lots now. Might be worth a try if you feel like it. - Doug

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  2:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
doug, do you trim the alaska picks? i think that doing that, you can reduce the pick noise and still be able to use them like fingernails for strumming...

i use alaska picks when i lose a fingernail. they work well.

aloha,
keiht

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  08:45:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

doug, do you trim the alaska picks? i think that doing that, you can reduce the pick noise and still be able to use them like fingernails for strumming...

i use alaska picks when i lose a fingernail. they work well.

aloha,
keiht

How do you hold them on? Do you tape them?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  1:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
How do you hold them on? Do you tape them?
no need! i almost always have a little nail left, and even if i don't, i usually have enough within a week to keep it from flying off. i do use tight alaska picks, though.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  2:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

here's a summer style posting:

i started fingerpicking my guitar about 12 years ago. i used to use alaska finger picks, but now only use them when my fingernails are too short. and, i've been using a zookie thumb pick ever since i started finger picking. i still use the thumb pick, but i'm trying to wean myself off of it.

i'm trying to work out the best way to hit the string with my thumb. what do you do? do you use just the fleshy part of your thumb, or do you use the nail? if so, which part? or do you use both? what angle do you hold your thumb? do you change it around for different sounds? do you use a resting stroke on occasion similar to what one does with the (non-thumb) fingers?

thanks,
keith

Picks make me nuts. I sweat under them, so they slide and twist around, and they leave rings of blisters where the edges were, and little water blisters in the rest of the skin they touched.

I glue on fake nails, and then cut the tip off another fake nail and glue it on under the 1st one. Then I file to the desired shape.

Malama pono,
Leilehua

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  8:42:04 PM  Show Profile
One of the issues with glue on nails is that the glue makes your natural nails even weaker.

If I crack a nail just before a gig, I'll use a glue on, but as soon as I get home I take it off to minimize damage to the nail.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  06:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
raymond, do you use any of the products available to harden nails?

(at least we're not discussing bike racing; we'd be swapping techniques for shaving our legs).

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  4:03:18 PM  Show Profile
Keith,
I tried a bunch, including the horse hoof stuff - my cousin's a vet. I don't think they did much, so after a couple of weeks I stopped using the stuff.

I have fairly soft nails, so for me the trick is careful grooming. Right hand nails rarely get longer than 1/4" over the finger pad. Just enough to get some bite in. Shaped on a slope. I stay pretty close to the system in "Pumping Nylon." Thumb, of course, is longer, but I seldom have problems with cracked thumb nail.
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  4:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Keith, as with Raymond I've tried a lot of panaceas but pretty much to no avail. I too stick with "Pumping Nylon" for shaping although I've never had any problem with my thumb nail. Maybe it's genetic but it grows fast and strong. One of the Vietnamese ladies who cuts my hair gave me some Orly "Bonder" when I asked her about nail hardeners. It is "Rubberized" or so it says on the bottle and it works pretty well. I've also tried Sally Hansen's "Hard As Nails." OK but not great.

Now what do you use on your legs?

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  04:58:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
I go to the nail salon and get the two part epoxy that they use over fake nails applied to my own nails (P, I, M, A only). It reinforces the natural nail and is rock hard -- takes a long time to get 'em filed into shape. I also use the Pumping Nylon / Michael Chapdelaine shaping method -- it took a while to learn to hit the strings with a little flesh first, right before the nail comes into contact.

The other method that a lot of players use now is no nails at all -- Laurence Juber plays this way and produces spectacular tone. He showed me his hands after a performance -- the calluses on his right fingertips are as hard as the ones on his left. I'm sticking with the nails but a few fingerstyle players I know are working on switching to this.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000