Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 e ku'u morning dew
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  3:14:06 PM  Show Profile
Back in the 80s or early 90s,before I had ever heard of slack key, I used to pick out the melody to E ku'u morning dew and drive myself and my wife crazy trying to figure out where I heard the song. I doubt that I was exposed to the Sons of Hawaii or Eddie Kamae or Keola Beamer at that time. I have searched the Taropatch archive and on google and cannot find a reference to this song being used in a movie or something else that a haole in So Cal would have been exposed to.
Can anyone think of a case where this song was used in a popular movie or television show 20 or 30 years ago? If so I would appreciate the info so my poor brain can go back to playing music instead of thinking about it.
thanks

Dave

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  3:19:07 PM  Show Profile
I think it closely resembles part of Unchained Melody, the part that talks about "to the open arms of the sea" reminds me so very much of Morning Dew. The very first time I heard Morning Dew, I could have swore I heard the song before, but if I did, I woulda had no idea where and finally one day I heard Unchained Melody on the moldy oldies station on the car radio.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  08:57:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I think it closely resembles part of Unchained Melody, the part that talks about "to the open arms of the sea" reminds me so very much of Morning Dew. The very first time I heard Morning Dew, I could have swore I heard the song before, but if I did, I woulda had no idea where and finally one day I heard Unchained Melody on the moldy oldies station on the car radio.

Lonely rivers sigh,
Wait for me, wait for me / Alia mai, alia mai.

I thought about that for a while. That fits in.

You could also go:

E ku'u aloha,
E ku'uipo,
I've hungered for your touch...

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  5:38:30 PM  Show Profile
I listened to both of them very closely several times, and while there is a resemblance it is not close enough for what I did. I used the pick out the melody exactly..... not sort of, but exactly. I must have heard it in the original form on the radio somehow and it stuck with me for years. It is very haunting and beautiful. Just goes to show how much this beautiful music influences us even when we do not know it.
Thanks for thinking about this for me.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  06:36:29 AM  Show Profile
Dave,

Melveen Leed wrote a different set of English lyrics and named it Alone again once more.You may have heard someone do that version.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000