Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 New Recorder Reviews
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  1:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Just when you though you'd figured out which recorder to buy....

I recently took revamped versions of the M-Audio Microtrack II and the Edirol R09HR flash recorders through their paces. They are both big improvements over the originals, and each is aimed at a different working style.

Check out the review here: http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/08/04/r-09-hr-microtrack-2-review.html

Audio clips are mostly from the 2008 Aloha Music Camp and include Robyn Kneubuhl & KonaBob, Kevin Brown, yers truly, and a mind-blowing jam with Sonny Lim & Ikaika Marzo.

cheers,

Mark

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  07:28:38 AM  Show Profile
Recorder? I just want to hear all those clips!
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  08:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Recorder? I just want to hear all those clips!

I'm hip, Paul. But I could not find a way to post pointer to the clips; the only way is to browse thru the review and click on the links.

B'sides, don't ya want to read my sterling prose?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  10:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Here you go Mark (and Paul):

MicroTrack II: Blue Hawaiian Moonlight
MicroTrack II + Neumann KM184
MicroTrack II: Slack Jam

R-09HR: Kihoalu Birds
R-09HR: Vocal and Steel
R-09HR: Ukulele Waves

(Mark, if you really do want people to read through the article to get to the clips just let me know and I'll delete this.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/14/2008 09:23:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  1:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
(Mark, if you really do want people to read through the article to get to the clips just let me know and I'll delete this.)

Nah, but I do want to know how you did it.

Of course, it might be useful for folks to read the story to get the context and the credits of who is playing, but I think you did a service to those who just want the music.

That being said, maybe a better place for the audio clips only approach is on the thread: Chicken Skin Moments under Camps, Workshops etc.

But please eliminate the Limiter Test clip regardless. After all, it's just me talking....

Edited by - Mark on 08/12/2008 1:20:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  2:52:44 PM  Show Profile
E Mark,
If you want for comparison, I have a lot of clips from Open Mike night, including the Mark and Dennis show. I have only been sharing them with the performers (their own performances). They were done on an Edirol R-09 sitting on my knee in the audience. Still amazing audio quality.
Aloha
Allen
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  09:31:15 AM  Show Profile
I skimmed the article, but mainly listened to the clips. I'm not good enough or ambitious enough to need more than my Zoom H-2 for the next several years. Between that and my analog toys, I don't need to look at recorders. But the writing is concise and informative for those in the market. Recording my playing doesn't qualify as a record for posterity,more as evidence for the prosecution.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  09:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Thanks, Mark. These reviews have been particularly helpful to us at my work, as we invest in a number of new recorders for our news reporters - so I've been sharing your links with our Operations Director.

I can also tell you that, for our purposes, he's pretty much in favor of the M-Audio.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  07:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Mark's lucid and praxis-oriented reviews were the biggest factor (well, after the internal budget consultation) in my decision to pick up an Olympus LS-10. I've had just over a week to try it in different settings (including sitting it on a table in the middle of an informal weekly gig), and it does a remarkable job. There are a couple features that Minidisc offers that I miss, particularly automatic track-setting and on-the-fly track-marking (useful in interview situations) and in-device track-renaming, but as a straight-ahead, self-contained recorder it's as good as I've seen, especially at its price point. Between the internal memory and an 8-gig SD card, I can save something like 70 hours of 320K MP3 recordings. Amazing. I'm not abandoning Minidisc, but this thing simplifies any number of situations where I need a quick-and-easy recorder--like Cyril's Napa workshop next month.

Edited by - Russell Letson on 08/23/2008 07:39:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  12:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Ah, shucks, guys... I'm just a guy tryin' ta do his job.

Speaking of which, I just received the Yamaha Pocketrak 2G. Here we go again...

Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  4:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Get thee behind me--I have more recording tech than a non-engineer needs already.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  11:17:38 AM  Show Profile
my ears funny kine.I like the sound of the H2 mo better than the Oly. The highs too high and when I record with Uke I no like how sound. It is a good recorder though for other applications like recrding a live concert. But personal recording of voice and uke the choice was the recording on the H2. I sent someone samples from both and that person selected the H2. No names were used prior to the choice made. So anyway Mark just keep on reviewing we do need that.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000