Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Bell's Palsy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  12:32:47 PM  Show Profile
My sinus headaches over the weekend turned out to be Bell's Palsy on my right side. It seems to be my year for malfunctions! I'm practicing to be a pirate with my eyepatch & slurred speech! Oh, well.....

keaka

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  1:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Ouch! Well, you certainly didn't play like you were suffering - you were your usual musically-wizardian self all three days.

You may want to re-visit this thread, however: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6199
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  1:58:41 PM  Show Profile
This is so weird. I have rarely heard of Bell's Palsy until this past year, now I know three people who have it. My hanai-brother-in-law, Rich, and our kind TP friend Julie, and now you, dear Jack. You have my prayers for a speedy recovery. You really have the maloch this year, but you are a tough guy. Take care, Jack, and let us know if you need anything or if there is anything we can do for you. The eye patch might be a bother for a while. If someone asks you where are your buccaneers, don't tell them under your buckin' hat. Tht would be rude, you know.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  06:03:29 AM  Show Profile
Well, the doc put me on prednisone and an antiviral. I'm a little bit better after 2 days on the stuff. I don't drool so much, and I can almost smile on my right side (10%). Fortunately, it didn't get into my hands, just the facial nerve. For Retro - I had some oxycodone left over from my fall, so taking at night helped me sleep, and I could play during the day. I had a ball!!! I'll have to watch Bill Nahalea's show tonight to see if we got on.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  06:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

I'll have to watch Bill Nahalea's show tonight to see if we got on.
I don't know if he filmed any of our multi-hours on the stage, or just the Saturday night concert. I'll be co-hosting tonight as well, talking about the Kalama weekend; I haven't been on the show for months.

Edited by - Retro on 08/28/2008 10:25:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  7:48:54 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Slipry1,

I came down with Bell's on Christmas Eve last year. Thought I was having a stroke because I was dropping Christmas dinner, but after 7 hours in the ER, all the tests came out negative for stroke. Thank God!

On the advice of a dear friend I did NOT take the prednisone nor the anti-viral meds, but started looking for an acupunturist. Of course, right there during the holidays I was unable to find a Chinese doctor for the Acu"torture" and so I waited too long to get help.

I was told by the neurologist at the ER that 80% of patients are rid of the symptoms within 2 months. I must be one of those special people in the 20% remainder. I kept waiting for this thing to end.

The worst part was scratching my cornea because I was unable to close it quickly enough while working out in the garden. Skiing was also iffy because the cold air hurt my dry, open eye. (Picture Cyclops on steroids!) I think I probably looked like Quasimodo!

And I didn't sleep well for weeks! Had to wrap my eye with Saran wrap and bandages.

I believe I now have permanent damage. It's been 8 months, I still have problems with my right side, and my lips don't work. Still can't whistle. Whatever you do, get as much help as possible as soon as possible. The Acu-torture did help, but it was too late.... (And I did not really enjoy all those little needles in my head and face and hands and legs.)

Good luck on your recovery. But do everything and take nothing for granted. I will send prayers your way.

Aloha nui, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 08/28/2008 7:52:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  11:13:30 AM  Show Profile
Good news! The prednisone & valtrex seem to be working - I'm back to about 60% functionality. I cna drink from a glass and not dribble. Thanks for your thoughts & prayers.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  12:01:29 PM  Show Profile
Good thing you can still play steel!
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  12:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Good thing you can still play steel!

Yeah, but he's always dribbled when he did that...

Jack, I second the acupuncture rec. I'm about as skeptical about woo-woo medicine as one can be. But I've been through the needle drill for a couple of things, and I'm a believer..

or a Monkees uncle.

BTW: My acupuncturist is named Nadine. She moves around like a wayward summer breeze...

Edited by - Mark on 08/29/2008 12:18:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  8:14:20 PM  Show Profile
Mark!

I like that "wayward summer breeze..." There ought to be a song in there somewhere.

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  05:38:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, all! It's about 80% gone new - I can live with that. The acupuncture is a good idea, Mark. Like you, it's hard to find where my acupunturist has gone. I also got some good advice from several pople about thyme and chamomile creams - aromatherapy.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  8:18:51 PM  Show Profile
No get da wrong idea. But when I saw Jack I prescribed laughter. So I went axe him how come he only smile with half his face. he only get half of da joke or wot? Of course he went smile and about half hour lata he said e I get 3/4 smile now.And I said see, if you laugh you broke you face so da smile come mo easy fo make.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  03:11:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

No get da wrong idea. But when I saw Jack I prescribed laughter. So I went axe him how come he only smile with half his face. he only get half of da joke or wot? Of course he went smile and about half hour lata he said e I get 3/4 smile now.And I said see, if you laugh you broke you face so da smile come mo easy fo make.

Hooray! 95% now, thanks to prednisone, lots of Hawaiian music & good grinz. Whew!!!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  06:30:33 AM  Show Profile
That's good news. Only banjo players are supposed to drool.
Q: How can you tell when the porch is level?
A: The banjo player drools out of BOTH sides of his mouth.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  09:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
I like that "wayward summer breeze..." There ought to be a song in there somewhere.

I'll take that up with Mr Berry.

"Moving thru the traffic like a mounted cavalier
Leanin' out the taxi window, tryin' to make her hear."

Edited by - Mark on 09/02/2008 09:19:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  10:19:54 AM  Show Profile
Lau makani hele?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000