Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Etiquette of Singing Hawaiian Songs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  4:43:00 PM  Show Profile
This probably sounds like a dumb question, but you guys probably expect that of me, so I am going to ask anyways.

With traditional Hawaiian songs, many times each verse is sung twice. Is it the proper thing for the musician/singer to sing each verse the first time alone and then other folks can jump in the second time the verse is sung? I've noticed that on a fair amount of live performances. Also I wonder if maybe that got started before folks had music books like He Mele Aloha? Perhaps first time through the musician would sing so the other folks could hear the words first? Or was it done that way some reason for hula?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  05:19:29 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Wanda,

This goes way back. I don't know the origins, but it certainly precedes any books. I've also heard singers sing twice without anyone joining in at all. And I've heard of in hula, one rep going left, and the other going right. As for the first verse sung to reveal the words, for so many songs people already knew the words, so it probably wasn't strictly necessary.

I've also learned that with modern audiences who don't understand the lyrics, this tradition is often dropped because it "bores" the audience. Auē!

Maybe someone like Peter or Keola can add more helpful historical information.
mahalo,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  06:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
In performance, we vary based on circumstances and how we read the audience; these are all things I picked up from performing with my kumu hula. With most songs, IF we have dancers, we do each verse twice. If it's a long song with many verses, we might just do the first and last verses twice, and all the others just once, whether we have dancers or not. If we have good singers, we might do unison on the first time through a verse, with harmonies on the second time. At some shows, with or without dancers, we might sing the verse once as is, then on the second singing, someone might recite what the lyrics mean in English.
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  06:49:22 AM  Show Profile
I learned from Ka Lake and Ma Aiu and............ Ne'wa mind. Just praaysssss, aka "Press" (like Led sed). And, I do mean "pray" for the just-right spellbound, drop-chin, effect. NOBODY care if 1, 2, or 3 times! Haw you randa da rendition is da rule of da roll wen in da role. Hawd, no, tink too much!?!

K'den
Herb
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  08:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Baritone

NOBODY care if 1, 2, or 3 times!
Well...nobody but da hula dansahs! But dass why we get kahea.

Question is - whose kahea takes priority, the dancer or the singer, if they are in conflict? As with this thread's initial question - it depends.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  08:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Kealoha Kalama always sings the verse, then talks over the music the second time through, translating the words. It's a variation that probably came from her many years as an entertainer in the modern era.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  09:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
One of my favorite performance memories was at the Kalama Days 2006. It was the first time I had a set where I sang lead vocals, so I was more than a bit nervous. Bill Tapia was one of our musical guests that year, and he arrived on the grounds of the park (where the stage was) with singer Mihana Souza, who was touring with him. As they settled into some chairs, I asked Mihana if she would join us to sing and tell the story of "Pua Mana," as it is her family home (she is the daughter of Aunty Irmgard Farden `Aluli). She so graciously told the story of the song and the home, translating each verse as it was repeated.

I think this falls into the same tradition that Jesse speaks of, regarding Kealoha Kalama - something born of their entertainment experience. I know many audience members say they enjoy the songs and hula better, if they know a little more of the story. Among our TP `ohana, I know no`eau and Falsetto2002 are very good at giving a little background to the audience before singing a song.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  10:47:36 AM  Show Profile
I see what you are saying, Gregg. Try watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6tCmy2jnmE

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  2:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
one style like this i love is by buddy and sammi fo. buddy sings the first time while sammi dances, and then for the second time through he sings soflty while she dances and translates. having her say the words while doing the dance is so beautiful.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

kealiiblaisdell
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  3:10:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit kealiiblaisdell's Homepage  Click to see kealiiblaisdell's MSN Messenger address
the reason for why some of us repeat it twice is because of tradition...according to what my kumu(s) (Namomilaniokai Ka'ohelauli'i and Judy Keamoa'i) has taught me, the old style is that the first verse is sung out to Akua, thanking him and giving him the glory and praise in your song writings/compositions, the second repeat verse is for the people or maka`ainana...this is according to the old traditions of mele as is the same in hula. Now, in todays world alot of those traditions have been dropped and only one verse is sung straight thru...I do both...hope this helped.
K:)
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  12:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I just thought I'd mention also that sometimes when I listen to songs with singers singing the melody alone both times a verse is repeated, I harmonize the second time through by singing in thirds or fourths above for those who know what I mean.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Falsetto2002
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  9:03:25 PM  Show Profile
In my CD, I repeat the verses twice because this is what I was taught for hula. Even my tutu sang the verses twice. I guess in long hula's, the first and last vereses are repeated; everything else in the middle are sung once. But alternating verses are harmonized...is dat one word?...lol.

In making music, me and Aunty Manu take the lead of alternating verses. Then, when we repeat the verse, the other sings in octive (higher or lower) to the leader. NAHENAHE :-)

Taje Uncle george Naope Wai li'ili'i Hupekole. He leads each verse, the second time around, the wahine's come in.

So, as perviousl said, it could date to a tradition of long ago. The Kahuna calls to akua and the maka'ainana repeat the verses. Thus, the louder the raised voices, the better the Gods/Goddesses could hear them in Hawaiki (the floating islands of the gods/goddesses).

Aloha

Leo Ki'eki'e
Kalei
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000