Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hula/ukulele a perspective by Sonny Watson
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Falsetto2002
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  3:39:57 PM  Show Profile
I did a Google search for Hula Town sing. The results came back with this site: www.streetswing.com/histmain/z3hula1.htm first on the list.

So, I decided to read the information provided by Sonny Watson. Now remember, Sonny Watson is not from Hawaii. What I found I would cinsider out of synch, especially the part of the ukulele.

As a Kama'aina and potogee, I stood back and said, "I wonder if the mainlanders would believe this about the ukulele. Ok, I said something else ....hahahaha

In one of the paragraphs it shows - and I quote - "The Hawaiians invented (some say the Portuguese) the ukulele from the Portuguese guitar in 1879 with the Kings (Kalakaua) help, this instrument became a Hawaiian tradition."

So, I wrote him to provide feed back regarding the development of the portuguese instrument to what we now know as the hawaiian "kamaka" ukulele.

In 1879, the Portuguese master craftsman and instrument maker Manuel Nunes arrived in the Hawaiian Islands with Joao Fernandes and Augustine Dias. They were immigrants who came to work in the sugar cane fields. Together they invented and developed the ukulele taking basic designs of instruments from their native home. Hawaiians were not only impressed with the beautiful sounds these instruments could make, but also with the speed these musicians' fingers flew on the fingerboard. It is said, they in turn began calling this instrument the Ukulele, which roughly translates as "Jumping Fleas".

In conclusion , I feel that we owe Sonny [WCSonny @ aol.com] some emails to inform him about hula/ukulele/guitar history. If he is going to talk about a part of us (locals/hawaiians) then the information he is providing to the mainlanders should be correct...right

Leo Ki'eki'e
Kalei

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  4:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
His facts are basically correct, but condensing decades of musical change to such a short sentence cut out some factual connections. You could say the Hawaiians "adopted" the uke from Portuguese braghina and the Portuguese artisans who produced the early instruments, and later the King did foster the instrument's popularity through the use of the royal seal.
After looking more at the website, it has little to do with Hawaii and more about the Hawaiian influence on pre-war swing music. It's probably not worth trying to correct all the tackiness on that website.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 09/06/2008 6:24:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  02:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

His facts are basically correct, but condensing decades of musical change to such a short sentence cut out some factual connections. You could say the Hawaiians "adopted" the uke from Portuguese braghina and the Portuguese artisans who produced the early instruments, and later the King did foster the instrument's popularity through the use of the royal seal.
After looking more at the website, it has little to do with Hawaii and more about the Hawaiian influence on pre-war swing music. It's probably not worth trying to correct all the tackiness on that website.
Jesse Tinsley

Pololei 'oe. And besides, we don't know Mr. Watson, at least I don't, and so I don't know how he would feel if we corrected him. As long as we know what the right information is, it doesn't really matter.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  09:10:04 AM  Show Profile
Here is a video that Kawika put together with Duke and Jay and Darryl playing music and a tour of the Kamaka factory. Manuel Nunes' great grandson is talking story a bit. Thanks, Kawika and Jay & Duke & Darryl. Man, Kawiks is going to be the knowledge repository. When we want know something, Kawiks gonna tell us.

Yikes - I screwed up the link. See below what Kawika says.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 09/07/2008 10:20:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  09:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Here is a video that Kawika put together with Duke and Jay and Darryl playing music and a tour of the Kamaka factory. Manuel Nunes' great grandson is talking story a bit. Thanks, Kawika and Jay & Duke & Darryl. Man, Kawiks is going to be the knowledge repository. When we want know something, Kawiks gonna tell us.

=======================
Here is the video Wanda was referring to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcZkeIKHzsM

"knowledge repository"??? No...more like videotape packrat.

"I have no recollection of that"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000