Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 George Kuo - O Ke Aumoe
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  12:36:05 AM  Show Profile

http://www.mele.com/music/artist/george+kuo/o+ke+aumoe%3A+night+of+the+hawaiian+slack+key+guitar+%288-12-2008%29/

If you like your kiho`alu pure and unadorned, then this is the CD for you! Just George and his guitar. Nothing else. Nothing else is needed. His playing is so very sweet. His pure vocals grace the words with a voice of the ages. It is at once both old and new. This is a man who loves his music and loves sharing it.

Wai o Ke Aniani makes me think of Uncle Raymond, with whom George has played this mele. You can hear a bit of Uncle Raymond in there, but it is uniquely George's translation of this classic. His "Old Hi`ilawe" showcases his masterful slack key stylings. Hard to believe one man can make such beautiful music with only two hands. And when you are in the mood to dance a great hula, don't forget "Green Rose Hula", if you can keep up with him. Whew. Great cardio workout.

The CD itself is a work of art. The artwork of the cover itself; the notes; the whole way it is put together and packaged. But why made in Germany? I do not understand that at all.

Anyhow take a listen over there by Auntie Maria. Then buy it. Make it worthwhile for these guys to keep the music going, pure and simple.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  07:33:07 AM  Show Profile
George Kuo doesn't record very often and it's great to hear him do more vocals. Don't miss it
Go to Top of Page

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  08:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage
The music sounds great. But why does the album cover art remind me of Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery?

http://www.mele.com/music/artist/george+kuo/o+ke+aumoe%3A+night+of+the+hawaiian+slack+key+guitar+%288-12-2008%29/

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1988008960/tt0118655

"I have no recollection of that"
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  08:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
On our radio show last Saturday morning, George Kuo said that he, Martin Pahinui and Aaron Mahi have put together a live CD that they are selling at the gigs. Anyone got one yet? We'll see them here in Seattle tomorrow night.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  09:56:01 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, we got it. Bought it from dem guys when we were there in May. It is something like Back Porch Kanikapila or something lidat. Recorded live in Waimea on Big Is;land, I think. It is most excellent.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  5:47:08 PM  Show Profile
And speaking of George, Martin & Aaron, wanna remind everyone that they have just 3 mainland gigs remaining:

Tue 9/9 - Seattle WA - 7:30pm
Triple Door
206-838-4333

Fri 9/12 - Eugene OR - 7:30pm
The Shedd - Jacqua Concert Hall
541-434-7000

Sat 9/13 - Bend OR - 7pm
Old Stone Church (benefit show)
541-322-7273

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  07:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
This is kihoalu, as pure as you'll get in this present day format. I know George Kuo personally and have played with him one on one and with his band 'Kipapa Rush' back in the 1980's. He is a professional civil engineer by trade and a definite kihoalu technician at heart. This has got to be a model 'kihoalu' album for all ears, amateur guitarist as well as advanced students to listen, study and of course to enjoy! I am sure this will get a nod from the academy members like myself for the Grammys, Hoku Hanohano and Hawaii Music Awards. This is pure slack key the way of the old school. Good job George!...maika'i.
Kaulia no ho'i.

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  09:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Re: the George-Martin-Aaron live CD. If anyone can manage to pick one up, I'd love to get a copy--arrangements can be made, deals can be struck. I was out west two weeks after their visit there, and that's about as close as I'm getting to catching them for the foreseeable future. (Unless they get really crazy and come to the upper midwest.)
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  08:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

On our radio show last Saturday morning, George Kuo said that he, Martin Pahinui and Aaron Mahi have put together a live CD that they are selling at the gigs. Anyone got one yet? We'll see them here in Seattle tomorrow night.

They actually have two live CDs. The one Wanda mentioned is called "Back Porch Jammin'" and they call themselves the Waialea Hawaiian Band, which includes Danny Akaka. It is a 2 disc set.

The latest is called "Kiho'alu Sundays at the Waikiki Beach Marriott". Bobby Ingano sits in with them on this album recorded live at the, where else, Waikiki Beach Marriott.
Tracks: He'eia
No Ka Pueo
Aloha Ia No O Maui
Makee Ailana
Ku'u Pua Lehua
Manu Kapalulu
Kaulana Na Pua
Na Ali'i
Kiho'alu Ekahi
Pua Lilia
Nani Waialeale
Aloha Kaua'i
Maile Lau Li'ili'i

Both are great.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  09:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I spoke with George yesterday and he informed me that the O Ke Aumoe CD was recorded in France, and I think he said mixed in Germany. He was over there for a guitar festival and while there put down these tracks. He also said it's the first solo CD he's made using his double necked Yairi exclusively.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  2:13:45 PM  Show Profile
One of the things that makes this such a good album is from having seen George up close and personal at the Waikiki Marriott and seeing the twinkle in his eyes and the smile on his face when he is playing music. You can tell he loves making the music and I remember the smile in his eyes while I am listening to this recording, so far, far away.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  07:00:56 AM  Show Profile
The company which produced this CD, also did another -- "Hawai`i Under the Rainbow", released last year:
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/george+kuo/hawai%60i+under+the+rainbow/

Because these CDs were exclusively distributed by a mainland mainstream music company, both CDs were "under the radar" for fans of island music. No reviews by local newspapers; only available for purchase in Europe and from the mainland distributor's website.

Too bad -- especially considering the "Rainbow" CD includes George Kuo solo, and as part of a group which called themselves simply "The `Ohana". Group members? None other than George, Noelani Mahoe (!!), Lawrence Pau, Al Machida (!!), Harold Kahu`ole, and William T. Greig. Other musicians with tracks on the CD are Gordon Mark (!!), The Hawai`i Youth Opera Chorus, the Okami `ohana, and Ho`oheno, an Halau O Keanui.

Still haven't seen either of the CDs in stores here in the islands...sigh...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000