Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Who's going to these workshops?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  2:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
The Aloha Music Camp is August 10 - 16, at Kalani Honua on the Puna Coast.

You can read all about it on our website: http://www.alohamusiccamp.com/

And yes, we still have a few openings.(You didn't think I'd pass up an opportunity to talk about the camp did you?)

If you do plan something after the camp, please let me know so I can spread the word to our campers.

So, Doc, you run into Heloise and her slack-key squeeze box yet? She tells me she's been jamming with KonaBob -- this I gotta hear!

Take care,

M

Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  12:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Mark,
I have indeed enjoyed playing both my Walkingstick Bass and steel guitar with Heloise. She is one great gal! My wife plays fiddle, and the 3 of us have fooled around with some amazing 'musette' style cafe music. We have also played Zydaco with her (and husband Chris on the washboards). Hot stuff! Now, of course, she has learned some Hawaiian, and Chris has gotten himself bitten by the 'ukulele bug'.

Hope to meet you in Kona one of these days. My daughter is getting married on the mainland in August, but I might make it to Puna on the evening of Aug 10.

-Aloha,
Konabob
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  01:20:16 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Konabob, it was really nice meeting you at George's workshop, my husband was eyeing your base, and wish he had time and patience to learn another instrument! Very sweet kanikapilas we all had, huh?
It looks as if we'll be staying just south of Kailua-Kona for just a couple of days after Aloha Music Camp, after spending a day or two with Dennis Lake. (Sheesh, everytime we go see Dennis we fall in love with another ukulele!) We would love to snorkel all day and play all night. Do you agree with the previous posts about snorkeling spots? If you manage to come to AMC, please look for us, we may be scattered all over the place. Hugs, Julie
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  1:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Julie Hendriks

my husband was eyeing your base
Ummm, his "base" would be his butt. Hopefully you meant his "bass"!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  8:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Yes indeed! I have already booked for next year and plan to stay for the whole event. I hear Dennis sold another great uke to some lucky person on Maui!
I am hoping to got to Puna for at least one evening. Can't stay longer, as I have a wedding to get to on the mainland.
Snorkeling on the Kona side is best at Honaunau (ask where '2 steps' is.) and at Kahalu'u Beach. But there are great little spots up and down the coast in case you can't get to these two.
-Aloha,
Konabob
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  9:23:09 PM  Show Profile
KonaBob, you slide player, you, (you killed us that Thursday night).

You are right on about 2-step.

The best snorkeling on the Big Island *is* 2-step. Especially if you are fish watchers as Sarah and I are. We plop in and we see the totally rare short nosed forceps butterfly in brown mode. Only seen there in the whole world. As you might guess, we are like bird watchers and have a "life list". Cool place.

Want to swim with spinners? Go one bay up to Ho'okena and look for a few jumping dolphins. Underneath you will be greeted by a guard (about 200 lbs and 6 feet long) and then you will see about 100 dolphins mating, giving birth, suckling babies and they won't even mind you. There is a local network that will tell you where they are at any given time. Talk to the locals, yeah? You gotta get by a few Haole love-children, but they are so luded out, it should be no problem. Sandy bottom for about 1/4 mile and a 2 foot shore break, but you can handle.

Wonderful places there.

Get the best Kona coffee in the world at Bwana Bob's - bogus name, but special people - Steve and Susan. On the web. You get to eat all the Mac nuts you want, too.

Wish we were with you.

Reid and Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  12:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Boy, there is nothin' more fun than playing steel guitar in Taro Patch tuning - unless it's playing steel guitar in Taro Patch tuning with a bunch of ukuleles and guitars holding the rhythym together

If any of you happen to be coming through Kona in the coming year, and you want to kanika pila, please get in touch with me.

I am hoping to be able to catch one night (Aug. 10) of jamming at Keola's camp this year.

-Aloha,
Konabob
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  02:09:05 AM  Show Profile
Yes, so guess who bought that lovely Dennis Lake uke? You just can't beat those beauties, and such personal service!

Sorry, KonaBob. I did mean your bass..... That'll teach me to post late at night! Didn't mean to scare you with the thought of my hubby eyeing your "base". Yikes!

We'll look for you at Kalani Honua. Larry and I will be there on the night of the 9th, so we'll probably be lounging by the pool when you come on the 10th. I just hope I won't fall for another of Dennis' creations! I have sooooo little self-control! Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  02:10:11 AM  Show Profile
2 Step gets my vote - been there 3 times and each time water was calm and great viewing. Tried the dolphins, but the water was too rough there for me -- I don't swim so gud.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  02:53:05 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Kakou,
responding to Kona Bob's & KonaVet's Kona kanikapila invitation. I'll be Kona side 18th through the 26th, would love to press a little. Snorkel too, hey, dat's bes'.
Let's start mentioning some dates, eh? Are we agreed on Two Step as a meeting place? Mahalo.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  03:49:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cathe, we'll be in Kona (I hope, better make my reservations soon!) for the 18th through 20th. Let's try to plan something for playing together. Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  11:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Oh my gosh! I won't be available from Aug 11 till Aug 26... my daughter is getting married on the mainland! But hope I will be able to see you in Puna on the night of the 11th. I am hoping to bring some friends of Mark over to the Workshop for an evening.
-Aloha,
Konabob
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  10:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Cathe and Julie,

If you do plan the Kona side kanikapila, I'd love to come. I live in Kailua-Kona so the schedule is fairly flexible (except for Wednesdays which are set aside for hula).

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000