Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Primo Beeyah
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  02:23:41 AM  Show Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fyTxWnrWK4
Eh, chrai lissen Duke, Jay & Darryl and watch Kawika's film of the Primo Brewery. Duke is playing the lead slack key and repeating all of it on another channel track. Jay is playing rhythm guitar & Darryl is playing the bass. They are playing Ku`uipo Onaona. Film is from circa 1979. Eh, tanks Dukie, Jay, Kawiks (and Darryl). By the way folks, if you are wondering who the mysterious Darryl is, he is the one who led Duke to slack key and taught him before Ozzie was Duke's kumu.

And since it is coming to be Oktoberfest time and Kory will be quite busy mit Musik und Bier und Gemutlichkeit, I figured it is time to talk beeyah, beeah, bier, or however you say it.

I think girls like wine or umbrella drinks mo bettah den beeyah. Or even tea or soda. A true observation?

I'd like to hear your "beeyah" stories. Like for instance, one of my observations is that more men like beer than women. Wait, I don't mean that men don't like women more than beer, I mean that more men like beer than women like beer. Or maybe more men like their beer more than their women? Ahdunno.

Does your kiho`alu sound better with beer or do you only THINK it sounds better?

Do you go for quality or quantity with your beer?

Is cheap beer as good as expensive "microbrewery" beers?

Did you ever drink Strohs or Wiedeman or POC or Iron City? What were the cheap beers you had in the old days when you had no money but wanted beer?

Were you an underage drinker? Do you have stories on how you tried to get beer when you were to young to buy it? Did you have 3.2 beer at age 18 ir did you have to wait until 21?

Did you ever make your own beer?

Do you recall beers from years ago that went away? Beers you enjoyed befo time now nomo kine.

Primo is once again available in the islands and is brewed on Kaua`i. If anyone has had any since the new beer is available, does it taste like what you remember? I have heard it is very expensive and very hard to obtain. Is that true or is it just Primo hype? Do you like nice, sweet, smooth beers or do you like all dem bitter hops? Do you like your beers room temp like in England or do you like them cold? Do you like lagers or ales or pilsners or what?

And be careful if you ever go Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch & Crab. He has a brewery there and they offer samplers of all his beer. Careful of the sampler. You get probably 6 oz. glasses of each of his beers, maybe 6 or 7 of them. Paul maybe was feeling, hmmm, well, perhaps I should just say that it was good we took the Hilo Hattie trolley and he did not have to drive. I know when we wen holoholo to Wolf Trap, some folks were quite excited that we were able to find Kona Longboard. (

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  05:23:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage
geez Wanda you so podagee...
My earliest recollection of Primo was when I was a child in the 60's. The guys at the Wailuku Tennis Club on Maui would play tennis on hot sunny Sunday afternoons and drink Primo from the short stubby bottles from a washtub filled with ice. The smell of empty beer bottles still comes back to me.
If I was an underaged drinker back in the 70's, I would have bought the cheapest beer that Long's Drugs sold. That was "Buckhorn" beer. That was pretty much the worst beer I ever had. So now when I buy cheap beer, I think to myself, "It's better than Buckhorn", then I'm grateful to have whatever I got.

"I have no recollection of that"
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  05:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Eh Kawiks - I one honorary Potagee. Peter Medeiros said so. He "annointed" me.

And this thought occurred to me regarding cheap beer vs. "microbrews". It is all the same thing. Brew the grain; add the hops, ferment da buggah. Then pau. Why the differences? Nobody uses wild yeasts anymore. Only cultured yeasts. What about the beers with chocolate or raspberry or coriander. What da heck?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  06:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
The more the audience drinks, the better my music sounds. Garans.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  07:10:21 AM  Show Profile
Retro, honey, your music sounds pretty darn swell, and I no even drink! I remember at the Folklife thing, you singing that nice song for Momi (shhh, no make noise). Nice to have you tube, I can hear you sing and call you bulaia because your music is good.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  07:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
AWW who you talking about Wanda. No fair you go tell tales on me. But anyway the Kona brew is LONG gone but I grew up PA Dutch area no drinking allowed but Papa he made beer for medicine you know it was a tonic (haha) anyway I rememeber as a kid we cousins all snuck out to the barn and were climbing up on the bottles tring to get one from the back were he would not see and we must have done somethig or else there was a bad batch and the tops blew off a whole bunch of bottles BOY Were we in TROUBLE. But anyway I grew up drinking homemade so I have a taste for the Dark Beers. Never understood drinking light beer just as soon have a club soda.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

Edited by - NANI on 09/10/2008 07:17:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

wegian
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  08:09:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Did you ever drink Strohs or Wiedeman or POC or Iron City? (

I had both Strohs and Iron City - and Stoney's. The Stoney's brewery is about 1/2 hour from my house.

I once repaired a friend's car and he thanked me with a case of Blatz (he didn't drink beer and had no idea what brand to buy). I remember thinking "Blatz - what a strange name for a beer. It sounds more like the noise made the morning after downing a few."
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  09:15:33 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kawika96797

My earliest recollection of Primo was when I was a child in the 60's. The guys at the Wailuku Tennis Club on Maui would play tennis on hot sunny Sunday afternoons and drink Primo from the short stubby bottles from a washtub filled with ice. The smell of empty beer bottles still comes back to me.
If I was an underaged drinker back in the 70's, I would have bought the cheapest beer that Long's Drugs sold. That was "Buckhorn" beer. That was pretty much the worst beer I ever had. So now when I buy cheap beer, I think to myself, "It's better than Buckhorn", then I'm grateful to have whatever I got.

Buckhorn was a product of the Maier Brewing Co in Los Angeles. They sold the same beer under myriad labels in grocery stores all over the west. Thier LA product was "Brew 102". It was CHEAP and pretty bad, but it was all I could afford when I was a surfer/skier/student/folkie back in the Sixties. There motto was "after 101 brews, the perfet brew". We used to muse about how bad brew 42, or 6 or whatever, must have tasted.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  09:16:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto
I know when we wen holoholo to Wolf Trap, some folks were quite excited that we were able to find Kona Longboard.

That is because some of us are forced to live in states where sweet, sweet Longboards are not and cannot be sold. Those of us forced to cross state lines to enjoy our favorite brew, forced to try to find some other beer half as refreshing and delicious as the dear Longboards that accompanied us to all those delightful AMC kanikapila... Sob! Think kindly upon your tʻpatch sister here in Indiana, parched and longing for just a drop bottle case or two of the nectar of the islands.....
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  07:35:46 AM  Show Profile
There are different grades of the ingredients, and water from different locations tastes different. No amount of barley, hops and yeast can disguise the water from where Wanda's sister lives. But even when there's no natural gas in the water, it doesn't all taste the same. Iron City and Rolling Rock have a large amount of iron in them, and taste of it. Some yeasts ferment from the top, floating on the surface of the wort, and produce the characteristic tastes of english ales, Lager yeast tends to work from the bottom of the wort, and likes a cooler temperatur4e. And works slower. The bitterness is mainly from the hops, and different varieties of hops have their own taste. Are concord grapes the same as Thompson Seedless? Add to this the fact that most large American breweries use some other form of starch to reduce the cost of barley malt, most commonly rice and corn, and different tastes are inevitable. American and many Canadian beers use less hops than their English and German counterparts. And following the example of Coor many years ago, a lot of American brewers have gone lighter and lighter. Mostly by reducing the barley malt, and increasing the rice and/or corn. The carbs keeps the alcohol level up, but there is less taste to the final product.Some even add sugar to undercut the cost of corn or rice. And have even less flavor. We all have our preferences in foodsbeverages are no exception. I like certain Geman/ Continental beers best. Some of the Sam Choy beers Wanda mentioned were high on the list, too. And some Mexican beers also. Certain English beers and many of the small, American beers are really fine. My favorite? I haven't seen it in 20 tears, but Euler, from Germany tops the list. Heineken, Great Lakes,(Cleveland) Dos Equis, Kona Longboard and St. Pauly Girl are real high up with me,too.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  08:23:58 AM  Show Profile
My first sip (gulp) of beer was done completely by accident when I was around 11. There was an apple-juice-shaped bottle in the 'fridge that actually contained leftover beer from somebody's picnic. It was a rude awakening.

The only beer I really like is Guinness. Oddly enough (maybe not) this is the one beer my dad doesn't like. Retro had me try Shaftsbury (sp?) Cream Ale in Vancouver, which I also liked.

Re foofy beers - I tried a friend's homebrew that contained basil, which I found surprisingly good.

Re foofy drinks - the foofier, the better. Chances are if it contains rum and coconut milk, I'll like it.
Go to Top of Page

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  09:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

quote:

Buckhorn was a product of the Maier Brewing Co in Los Angeles. They sold the same beer under myriad labels in grocery stores all over the west. Thier LA product was "Brew 102". It was CHEAP and pretty bad, .

=====================
"Maier Brewing" or "Mire Brewing"??
BTW, all this talk of beer made me go down to Longs and pick up a 6 pack of PRIMO beer. It has a nice flavor. Slight malty after taste with a morose attitude, which I love, not too heavy, not too light but juuss right...so go, go checkum now, go checkum,go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws70oI3yMBc
kawika

"I have no recollection of that"

Edited by - Kawika96797 on 09/11/2008 09:43:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  11:54:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

quote:

Buckhorn was a product of the Maier Brewing Co in Los Angeles. They sold the same beer under myriad labels in grocery stores all over the west. Thier LA product was "Brew 102". It was CHEAP and pretty bad, .

=====================
"Maier Brewing" or "Mire Brewing"??
BTW, all this talk of beer made me go down to Longs and pick up a 6 pack of PRIMO beer. It has a nice flavor. Slight malty after taste with a morose attitude, which I love, not too heavy, not too light but juuss right...so go, go checkum now, go checkum,go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws70oI3yMBc
kawika

The Maier Brewery was on the Los Angeles River, that concrete marvel (see Repo Man, eg). We always suspected they were taking water from the river for their beer -UGH!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  12:32:08 PM  Show Profile
That Auntie Marialani's Cooking Show chicken reminded me of Braddah Ed's chicken he has up deah. I like dem ingreedament she go use.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000