Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The Hawaiian wedding song by Hal Kinnaman
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Derek
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  11:02:02 PM  Show Profile
Please does anyone have the tab for Hal Kinnaman's classical piece the Hawaiian Wedding song? It's impossible to find.

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  12:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Give Hal a call (seriously).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  01:41:11 AM  Show Profile
Theres 2 Hawaiian Wedding Song.
One is the the real one. The other was for the Movies. Lei aloha lei makamae is the real Hawaiian. And the other one everyone knows it from Blue Hawaii.

Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Tim
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  10:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Uncle Tim an AOL message
I might have in my archives, but I'll have to dig around. Where are you located and what might you want it for?
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  11:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here's an aside about Israel Kamakawiwo`ole and the Hawaiian Wedding Song...
quote:
Excerpted from Iz Voice of A Nation, The Biography of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole by Rick Carroll

One night at The Ranch House, for I returned as often as the Makaha Sons did, I observed firsthand the most astonishing event. A middle-aged, slightly inebriated tourist from Texas in a gaudy aloha shirt practically demanded Iz sing the over-requested "The Hawaiian Wedding Song " made famous by crooner Andy Williams.

Iz, whose last name translates to "the fearless eye...the bold face," became bold and fearless that night and stood his ground. He refused to sing that song and sang instead, in Hawaiian, "Lei Aloha Lei Makamae," which Hawaiians consider to be the true wedding song, a song composed by Honolulu-born composer Charles E. King, who once said prophetically, "Let's have enough pride in our own music to keep it pure." Pride and purity were each in evidence that night at The Ranch House. The disgruntled Texan never knew why his request wasn't honored.

The small act of rebellion by the big, Hawaiian singer made me glad for I knew how weary Hawaiian entertainers were of singing what is probably the only song every tourist knows after Don Ho's "Tiny Bubbles" and "Pearly Shells."

The night Iz denied the request, I felt a paradigm shift in the Aloha spirit of the Islands which until that moment stood for giving tourists whatever they wanted. At that moment in Hawaii history, the host culture began redefining its role. These were new and heady days in Hawaii, and Kamakawiwo'ole, the fearless eye, the bold face, was in tune with the times. He sang of peace and freedom for his people.

For the full article, read here.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  12:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Both "Hawaiian Wedding Songs", "Lei Aloha, Lei Makamae" and "Ke Kali Nei Au", are by Charles King, the famous Hawaiian composer, who was only 1/4 Hawaiian. Andy Williams' hit, with the hokey lyrics "this is the moment of sweet Aloha" and "blue skies of Hawaii smile", are an mainland adaptation. But both are beautiful Hawaiian lyrics and melodies.
Maybe 20 years from now singers at island resorts will put their foot down and refuse to sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World".
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  02:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Ha! Post of the day award goes to hapakid.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  04:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Both "Hawaiian Wedding Songs", "Lei Aloha, Lei Makamae" and "Ke Kali Nei Au", are by Charles King, the famous Hawaiian composer, who was only 1/4 Hawaiian. Andy Williams' hit, with the hokey lyrics "this is the moment of sweet Aloha" and "blue skies of Hawaii smile", are an mainland adaptation. But both are beautiful Hawaiian lyrics and melodies.

not only that, but charles E. king's godmother was queen emma and he learned his music from lili'u, according to the hawaiian music hall of fame induction statement (http://www.hawaiimusicmuseum.org/honorees/king.html).

but, iz was right, the hawaiian wedding song had turned into a tired cliche. and, hapakid is right, iz's medley is turning into a cliche (but, if it becomes as famous as the hawaiian wedding song, that's saying something!)

me, i'm hoping that kekuhi kanahele gets famous enough for some of her songs to become cliches...

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  11:05:57 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Derek,

Ha, you get a choice and they are both acceptable! As for tab, if you don't have it yet, start searching here, http://www.hawaii-music.com/sheetmusic.shtml using both the mainland and Hawaiian names.

Good luck,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  10:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Maybe 20 years from now singers at island resorts will put their foot down and refuse to sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World".
From the Honolulu Advertiser:

Iz tune on TV again

There's still a pot of gold at the end of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's signature rendition of "Over the Rainbow." Having shown up in advertisements, TV shows and films, it's being featured in two new productions: WB's "Charmed" TV series and Lifetime cable's movie "Tempted."

The "Charmed" episode airs at 8 p.m. Sunday on KFVE-5. The Spelling Television production is the WB's most-watched series, reaching an estimated 12 million viewers weekly; it is about three sisters drawn together to fulfill an ancient witchcraft prophecy.

The Lifetime movie, which premiered March 10, will be broadcast periodically in the weeks ahead. It stars Virginia Madsen, Lainie Kazan and Hawai'i's Jason Momoa in an Island storyline: Back in Hawai'i to lay her hanai mother to rest, a woman uncovers a dark secret and falls in love.

Go to Top of Page

Barry Steelman
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  6:40:57 PM  Show Profile
Here is the White washed version
But at least you'll have the chords

http://216.12.208.221:8080/cgi-bin/tabcgi.pl?site=http://www.thetabworld.com/Andy_Williams__guitar_chords_1/tab.jsp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000