Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 How did I do?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  01:18:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm just starting to record some l'il peices I've written, and since you all know a lot more about slack key then I do, I wouldn't mind your opinions on these two. These are my first real attempts at writing.

I'm really thick skinned, so any critique is welcome. If you like them. If you hate it, let me know. More importantly, let me know what's 'missing' from them. I know they have lots of mistakes, I've just started getting used to the whole alternative bass thing :)

But besides that, I've played them at open mics, and folks like them, but I'd wouldn't mind some opinions from slack key afficienados (and I know y'all have some opinions )

I can't take lessons here, no one gives them. So I can only learn how to improve here. Are they approaching slack key? Are they any good? Is it a good start? (I'm jonsing for feedback, if you couldn't tell lol)

http://www.mindspring.com/~rd2ruin/song2.mp3
http://www.mindspring.com/~rd2ruin/song3.mp3

Thanks!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  2:00:37 PM  Show Profile
Remember Greg, this is De gustibus...

Also, the old saying that, "those who can't do, teach" should be modified to "those who can't do or teach, critique".

To my ears, song2 has all the ornamental elements and devices that one would hear in slack key and has its melody buried in them - it might be classified as a slack key technical excercise. Song3 has a strong, lovely, nahenahe melody and feel and very few of the "vocabulary" elements that the song2 has. I would listen to song3 a lot. Maybe you could meet somewhere in the middle? Most Hawaiian music has what song3 has. Sometimes an extraordinarily simple melody, like Kalena Kai or E Lili`u e, but lyrical, singable, danceable (hula-able? :-). Many times with large interval leaps.

"Are they approaching slack key? Are they any good? Is it a good start?"

Yes to all 3. Better than many, already. I wish I could do as well.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  3:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Ohmygosh! That's what I was going to say except it was far too sleepy out last night to write a review.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  6:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Greg, I like both songs but song3 is going on my iPod. Do you want to put it up on SoundClick in addition to or instead of song2?

Craig

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  03:15:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks y'all for your comments. I'll be looking forward to putting more MP3's out there in the near future, and any improvements I can make will be appreciated. I dont _truly_ understand slack key, as I'm jus' a city boi, so I dont want to be mis-representing the music. As I read in an earlier post, even Ozzie has stuff that's just nice songs written in the tuning, thought not necessarily slack key. I'm counting on all you to reign me in when I start off the beaten path, so to speak. :)

Yes, Craig, since Song3 has captured a couple ears, let's put that one out there instead of the one I originally sent (song2). I think it's a good song that shows that even simple melodies, played right, can be a nice melody. I agree with Reid. It's a deceptively simple song. I'm hoping that some of our other intermediate players such as myself will come and join the pa'ina and post too!

Anyway, here's the tab http://www.mindspring.com/~rd2ruin/music/seven_steps.txt paste it into your Notepad program. I always tab out my own songs when I get the time. Might as well share them!

Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  1:50:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the tab. I've saved it but not yet tried it.
Just curious, why did you trademark the song instead of copyrighting it?

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  2:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Probably a mistake...you can't trademark a song.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  01:25:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Pauline Leland

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the tab. I've saved it but not yet tried it.
Just curious, why did you trademark the song instead of copyrighting it?

Aloha,

Ahhh ... I did neither. I used to do fingerpicked songs of classic pop songs, with medley inside the chords for people who couldn't sing. I just started putting that on the tablatures so no one would 'borrow' them, out of habit I did it here too. You would be surprised how people would be glad to take your tab, and then say they wrote it.

In a couple weeks, I'll really begin my copyrighting efforts, but I'm too busy wrapped up in painting classes now. All you really need is an open mic, a tape recorder and some stamps to copyright a song.

Cheers!
- Greg

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000