Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Airlines and guitars?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  02:53:05 AM  Show Profile
Aloha folks who just traveled -- what were your experiences with the airlines and bringing your guitars?
Mahalo nui
Raymond
San Jose

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  03:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Raymond,
I took my Larrivée Parlor in a soft case and had NO trouble whatsoever bringing it into the cabin and stowing in the overhead. Of course it was my only carry-on item besides my HUGE fannypack. I didn't have to remove the strings either!
This was on United and Hawai`ian Air.

Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 07/06/2003 03:03:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  12:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Go to the following link and print out a copy to keep in your guitar case! The American Federation of Musicians has negotiated with the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) the right for musicians to carry on their instruments on airline flights. Please download and print the document here and be prepared to show this to security personnel should there be a problem. http://www.local1000.com/pdf/carryon.pdf

-Aloha,
Konabob
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  4:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I was flying with my beater in a gig bag from O`ahu to Maui, Maui to Molokai, Molokai to O`ahu. Flew Island Air so it was a smaller plane.

I was advised by the ticket counter to check my instrument and was told the airline had more liability if I checked it. There were no conveyor belts or anything. They treated my instrument with care. No damage was done.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  5:58:02 PM  Show Profile
We flew UAL JFK-LAX-OGG and Rtn. Two guitars in Caltons and checked them. They wouldn't let us lock them, but at JFK, the guy wrapped the cases with official blue and white UAL packing tape, so they could be slit if anybody wanted to check inside (or steal them, I guess - but those locks can be picked with a bobby pin anyway). Tape was still intact when we got them in OGG. On the way back, they hand-searched them on steel tables at OGG. One of the two was a lady who kept undoing the packing around the headstock that I put there and she wouldn't repack it correctly. I kept reaching in to do it properly and she kept yelling at me that I couldn't touch it after she examined it. I kept it up until she repacked it properly. The guy on the other side of the table did his repacking well. Even though I honked the lady off, both people did a *very* good job of resealing the cases with the official tape in about 5 places. Guitars and cases came out at JFK with no damage or change, just as on the outbound flights.

Never was there any mention of an oversize charge either way.

I count the whole experience a success.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  10:07:19 PM  Show Profile
I took my Rainsong to Kauai on 6/3 and returned to San Diego on 6/17. I put it in a Calton case which I pack , with lots of padding, into the box the case was originally shipped in. I check it with the rest of our luggage. After 3 trips the box is getting very worn. I'll have to scout out a replacement. Sheila took her old Martin soprano ukulele as a carry-on. No problems or extra charges. We flew Hawaiian to Honolulu and from there to Lihue. My Calton was locked inside of the box.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  01:50:09 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I checked our Baby Taylor and Art Lutherie parlor, in hard cases. We do this so we can take advantage of United's "Odd-sized baggage" counter at SF. That counter is always very short compared to the other huge lines, and we're chronically late... So far we've had no problem with damage except a few nicks to the cases. I do ask for them to be top-loaded. But I would never take my father's Martin, much too precious. These travel guitars are easily replaced. We did take our ukes in hard cases on board. The only time I ever had a problem with my uke was with a security lady at Seattle's Alaska air boarding gate. I do now carry a copy of that letter, just in case.

We did tape our cases shut with that Blue Painter's masking tape, which worked wonderfully. No glue residue! (I may even try that on my watercolor paper when I paint.) And we didn't lock the cases, so they could check them if they wished. Now as for the trip in August, we hope our luck holds out. Aloha, Julie.

Edited by - Julie H on 07/07/2003 01:54:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  03:03:55 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I did not go to Hawaii this last month, however with all of the discussion the last year about this subject...

This has to be one of the most informative threads I've seen yet on Taropatch.

I am gonna print this one out. Different airlines, cases, guitars, etc...all evidently successful. Lots of information here. When the question comes up again, as we know it will....someone needs to refer to this thread for practical advice.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  1:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
I tried that blue tape stuff on Arches watercolor paper -- just once -- right off the roll. It left a "Jagged" edge that I didn't like, so I went back to regular masking tape and painstainging peel-off. If you try it, let me know how it worked.
Thanks,
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  9:02:05 PM  Show Profile
I Have always had my best luck checking my guitar at the gate. Last item on, first off. If there are delays it stays with me. Seemed the safest way.

Toni
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  9:05:42 PM  Show Profile
Toni/Doc,

In megalopolis or HNL, even, you can't get a full size guitar to the gate through security. Tell us the secret.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  12:02:40 AM  Show Profile
Last trips to HLN and back (Maui) haven't been a problem. Usually fly Aolha. I haven't taken to the mainland since 9/11. Maybe they would give me humbug.

Doc
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  11:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
I took my koa Taylor to the George Kahumoku workshop in June in unlocked Calton case. Flew Aloha and gate checked the guitar both ways with no difficulty. Guitar was last on and first off. Waiting for me when I got off. Crew was very sopportive. Sulle'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000