Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Tommy Emmanuel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slackkey808
Akahai

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  8:46:44 PM  Show Profile
Hey everybody, I know this has nothing to do with slack key, but Uncle Ozzie let me borrow a DVD of Tommy Emmanuel. I was blown away. I was wondering how many other people on here know about him and if they don't check this vid out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szd7r_Gib4c&feature=related and then decide. What do you guys think of his playing? Nuts right?

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  9:02:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slackkey808

What do you guys think of his playing? Nuts right?
NUTS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0eTp7SoNU

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  9:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Da buggah use more energy den Jay when Jay play `ukulele wit Duke.

Dis mo bettah fo broken down heart lady like me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZNJf-h7F8s&feature=related

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  9:49:30 PM  Show Profile
he's pretty mean..
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  12:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Howzit zack,yes tommy is awesome.Although he tends to go for broke I like his subtle style like lewis and clark.But I do agree he is awesome,remember sometimes less is bettah.But then again it's all in da individual listener,dat's jus my opinion.I only wish I could wear out a guitar like he does.I know you like da go fo broke style,alot of movement and technique,notting wrong wit dat,bombye da nahenahe grab you,more feelin in your music.Da ability to invoke emotion in people through your own unique style.Das how you give credit to your kumu's whoever they may be.You are definately in da right place to take it to the next level,I'm looking forward to watching you get only better and better,with the attitude you carry da skies da limit.Aloha braddah jay
Go to Top of Page

Daryl
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  02:07:41 AM  Show Profile
Yes, an amazing guitar player. Chet Atkins bestowed upon him C.G.P. (Certified Guitar Player). I saw him at the Birchmere here in Alexandria, VA a couple years ago. (Keola has played there too) I wouldn't do what he does to his guitar though - using it as a drum and washboard, but he has been an inspiration to me. I've work out his version of Classical Gas.

Daryl
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  05:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Tommy's been mentioned here before. He's probably the best acoustic guitarist alive, bar none. That doesn't mean he plays every genre, but he's fast, precise, but more importantly he's extremely musical. He stays inside the song even when he ventures into unknown territory. His rhythm is rock solid. The way he finds the right bass note, often with his thumb, is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5qakFIecBU
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  05:33:56 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Tommy's been mentioned here before.
This is the first I've heard or seen of this guy. Makes me wanna sell all my stuff and buy a shave ice machine instead.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  05:47:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
You should see him on a drum kit.

His theatricality puts some people off--he loves stunt playing--but I've always found his live work both entertaining and musical, if a bit frantic at times. Oddly enough, many of his albums leave me cool--a bit overproduced/overprocessed, at least the earlier ones. I suspect he really, really loves performing, which he's been doing since childhood.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  06:02:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
He and Jake Shimabukuro have played together, too. Jake was raving about him a few years back.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  06:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Tommy is one of the best and hardest working musicians out there. The guys plays something like 300 shows a year. I don't know how a person can have that much energy and intesity. Amazing.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  2:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
This one is as close as Tommy comes to Hawaiian music. He uses a familiar turnaround.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1FyPrlayM

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  2:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Darin

This one is as close as Tommy comes to Hawaiian music. He uses a familiar turnaround.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1FyPrlayM

I particularly liked this one, and I did hear that turnaround and instantly recognized it as one of the most popular ones in slack key songs.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  8:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Tommy is incredible, playing standard and open tunings. Apparently, he has been around for a long time.
I bootlegged he and Jake together in SF a couple years ago. I never heard of him until that night and was compelled to buy 3 of his CD's. The recordings are great but the live show was better. Facial expressions and body language at a live show makes the music more impressive. Recordings these days are doctored so much that it is not as believable. I think I listened to the CD's a couple times only. The songs he played that night had more passion and intensity than the CD versions.
It can be discouraging when comparing yourself to him. But inspires me to try harder, not only on guitar, but everything I do. I am about one tenth his virtuousity, and getting better every day.
Mozart was another incredible performer using theatrics. Jake used to be, until he grew up. Now he's suave. I used to love his antics. Now, I just love his music.

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 09/19/2008 8:27:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  10:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Zach,I get one fo you,friday night live in San Francisco,with Al Dimeola,John Maclaughlin,and Paco Delucia.Three acoustic guitarist goin fo broke,that night was special.They could never duplicate that night,they gave everything to eachother dat night.Guarantee you no like play aftah dat.Al Dimeola from return to forever band,John from mahaveshnu orchestra,and world reknown flaminco guitarist Paco Delucia.Awesome!Check em out zack.To me best first.Al den John den Paco,you tell me.Wen I turn duke on to dis he jus shook his head in disbelief.By the way I did get to see the band return to forever,with Chic Correa on keyboard,Stanley Clark on bass,Lenny White on drums,and Al Dimeola on guitar.This was the band in the 70's back by popular demand,so tight.all other music seems simple.Anyway check em out and enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

slackkey808
Akahai

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  10:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks braddah Jay, is this stuff on youtube? Ah I'll check it out. Also, Wow! I didn't really know how many other people would know about Tommy Emmanuel. I think I saw his name in a guitar book of mine but never thought twice about it. Then Uncle Ozzie let me borrow the video. Eh Uncle Duke I know how you feel. When I was in school our guitar teacher would bring in this college kid who graduated from Kam to show us some techniques. After he was done playing a song we all just looked at each other and said "I give up." But we never, music is just fun and you can't give it up just cuz there's some crazy skilled people out there. Anyway yeah, its nice to listen to other genres other than kihoalu (though it remains #1 on my list).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000