Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Tommy Emmanuel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  11:35:21 PM  Show Profile
Duke, baby, you MORE than good in all ways. You are so right, you do have a good heart. You play so nice, it touches so many people all across the WORLD, Brah! If Jay & Ozzie had not convinced you to put some videos on You Tube, we never would have met. Now I cannot even imagine a world without you and Jay and your families. And since you came to Taro Patch and since you have been putting your videos on You Tube, think of how many people who have seen your videos and been touched by them. you sharing your music has had such a prfound impact on many people.

That is more than good. That is aloha.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  03:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage
wow, after watching that guy play all I can say is, "Damn my slow stubby fingers!"

"I have no recollection of that"
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  04:01:05 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine was a student of Tommy's at Jorma's ranch. Tommy told him that he (Tommy) did not consider himself a guitarist, he thought of himself as an "entertainer". The guitar is a vehicle. That's a key reason that his CDs are so underwhelming - his entertainment is multidimensional and immediate and can't be put on a disc. He also described his unbelievably intense practice methods that he has been doing since a kid - he will spend days on a very short stretch of music (or guitar scratching) until he gets it where he wants it and can do it in his sleep. He really doesn't have much of a life beyond performance.

If you ever go to see and hear him live, here is a hint: he will only play a venue that has a PA system of more than 3000 watts. Do not sit in the direct line of the speaker stack if you value your hearing.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  10:52:05 AM  Show Profile
Howzit zack,on you tube punch in al di meola,then you'll have to choose al di meola and paco de lucia from there pick and enjoy.They have footage of performances after that night in san fran,they still blow away the audience.Try catch da ones wit all three playing.K-den braddah jay
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  4:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hey Zack,

Let me know if you're interested in any Tommy material. I can probably recommend things to take a look at. Andy and I got pretty obsessed with him for a couple years. I think Ozzie got the dvd from Andy. Tommy is a very good study for expanding right and left hand techniques. By the way, I've heard wonderful things about your playing. Keep it up!

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

slackkey808
Akahai

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  10:43:10 PM  Show Profile
Hey Uncle,

Nah probably couldn't do any of Tommy's stuff anyway as I only use two fingers (in slack) and my arpeggios in standard tuning (using all fingers except my pinkie) aren't what I'd call expert level playing. I gotta practice more, right now I just enjoy watching Tommy play. If I want to later on I'll let you know. Mahalo by the way for the complement.

Zack

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  02:14:30 AM  Show Profile
I had the privilege to attend a guitar class that Mr Emmanuel did, on the day of his concert. He is a very open, honest character, very down to earth and it goes without saying an excellent musician.

In his show, yes some of it was very fast and furious, some of it was slow and contemplative. Some of it was his own material, some of it covers. He can really play anything at all. The difference with him is that at the gig were some 'normal' people - even some women.

At most instrumental guitar gigs, the place is full of middle aged guys wearing glasses staring at the performer's left hand and queuing up to ask him guitar questions at the end.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  6:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

I play some guitar.I do not consider
myself a musician. I do not consider myself good but........I am good fun.I play
good music.I have a good heart.I make good friends. & I make people feel good!!!
Good enough for me

That's a perspective I am taking to heart, Duke. You've just adjusted my attitude on my own playing, and I thank you.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  6:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Jus' press. Or, if on steel (Reid this is for you), keep it slipry (or Jack says "slimey")!
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  12:40:52 PM  Show Profile
Tommy's book and dvd are nice learning tools...
I wish they'd tab out "Classical Gas" ...
He adds fire to it way beyond the original....with respect to Mason...
it was a career maker...
Mason Williams was writer for the Smother's Brothers...it must have been a wild time in LA in those days.
Of course, it's much calmer now.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  3:27:02 PM  Show Profile
The Smothers' Bros. show was the best show ever has been on TV. Think of the folks who were on there as guests, not normally on network TV. And the people who worked on the show.

Speaking of which, where is Pat Paulsen when we need him? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SXKYk1bMpI&feature=related

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000