Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Stage Sound
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  05:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The notch filter is designed to remedy feedback rather than quack. As such, the filter has settings that correspond to musical notes, so you set it to the note that's feeding back on your guitar, then crank down the notch.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  06:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Leonard, the Para DI also has another adjustable EQ that where you can assign frequencies. I'm not exactly sure what folks mean by "quack" but I would guess that it's between .9 to 1.2 on the Para DI. You set one knob to that frequency, and turn the gain down on the second knob (called "MID").

Also, the NOTCH feature that Fran is referring to is very useful for feedback on bass notes.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

Edited by - Darin on 09/26/2008 07:00:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  07:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
"Quack" is a characteristic of the sound from undersaddle piezo pickups for acoustic guitars. It's a dynamic effect rather than a pitch effect, so you can't notch it out. (PUTW does make a "Quack Buster" product that they claim works in conjunction with existing piezo pickups to reduce quack: http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/quackbuster.htm )

Supposedly you can also do it on the cheap with a clay shim: http://littlebrother.nlpd.com/Clay-UST/index.htm

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/26/2008 07:38:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  11:03:10 AM  Show Profile
quote:
It's a dynamic effect rather than a pitch effect, so you can't notch it out.
True enough, in fact there are also high-voltage preamps (using several 9V batteries or PWM voltage inverters) that also claim to reduce the quack effect. However, most of the quack energy is usually in the upper midrange, and so with the Baggs device pictured above, the quack can be reduced significantly using the "mid" control. When I generically mentioned "notch" in the previous post I was technically referring to a band-reject function which different devices refer to in differing terms. A "notch" is usually considered to be very narrow, but this is also loose terminology. This Baggs PADI "mid" band-reject is actually can be used to reduce quack. In my case I used it to reduce quackiness until I removed my undersaddle fishman and put in a Baggs I-Beam. You can get similar results with other devices that also have a "notch" or "band reject" function. This will not entirely get rid of the quack but it will reduce the over-emphasis on midrange that is associated with the quack, thus reducing the propensity to feedback in these midrange frequencies AND, at the same time, the most objectionable part of quackiness will be reduced. In your alcove situation, as you indicated, feedback is the main issue, not quack.

In addition, you may have other over-emphasized frequencies (not related to the quack) that need to be reduced. Some of these may be related to the Venue so you cannot adjust for them until you are at the location (such as room modes) and these are also reduced with band-reject or "notch" filters.

This "clay" option sounds very interesting, maybe I will put an under-saddle back in my Guitar with the clay and get a blender to mix it with the I-Beam and see what it sounds like. This seems to be a never-ending quest (to arrive at a very good acoustic sound with nothing but pickups).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/26/2008 1:02:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  01:21:04 AM  Show Profile
Eh, Lawrence - thanks for sharing that about Bose. Goes to show you why advertising hype can do to color one's perception. However, I have long been a believer in the fact that price does not equate to quality. Just because it costs the most doesn't mean it is the best quality.

However, the hardest thing is to define what quality is. Is it compliance with design criteria? Is it the design criteria AND the compliance thereto? Is it the working life of the product? Eh, who knows. Even the proffesional quality folks cannot come up with a true definition. It varies from case to case.

e.g., Leaving flux on a couple of solder joints is not as bad as an obstetrician dropping a couple of babies when birthing them.

You guys all have very good practical expertise to share. Thank you guys for making so even I can understand some of the sound stuff.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  10:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Thanks to all for the education, esp. for the picture. I will try the reducing the mid between .9 and 1.2 with my Woodie. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  05:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Leonard

Thanks to all for the education, esp. for the picture. I will try the reducing the mid between .9 and 1.2 with my Woodie. LRR

Leonard, are you referring to the Seymour Duncan soundhole pickup by that name?? If so, I should mention that the problem known as "quack" doesn't generally occur with magnetic pickups like yours.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  06:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Yes, the Seymour Duncan woodie. I haven't used it at all (except to check that it worked), but may be using it soon. I guess I won't have that waterfowl issue. Thanks, Fran. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  10:43:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
I guess I won't have that waterfowl issue.

"my 'ole gals a good 'ole pal
she looks like a waterfowl...

...cause I got them deep river blues"

(never understood that line - but that never stopped me from trying to play it just like Doc.)

sorry for the digression...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  2:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
Howdy, Looks like Darin and I share opinions on equipment: I use the AER also and use it in place of the supplied house sound system (and sound tech person). The ultimate bypass. I filled a double ball roon with 17 foot high ceilings (170,000 cubic feet) with this 13 pound wonder. I went to a machine shop and had a little tilting stand thing made for better monitoring. Also had them make me an adaptor so I could fly it on a speaker stand. It looks tiny up there but sounds great.
I also use the purple Analysis Plus Pro Studio cable. I just got the Fender Platinum acoustic guitar cable fo $60. More durable for lesser occasions. I sometimes use the LR Baggs PADI. A great invention.
My favorite part of the sound chain is my onboard amp: the Fishman Premium Blend. It has an internal mic that can be placed nearly anywhere in the guitar (its on a gooseneck) and the feedback can be dialed out via the notch filter. This much maligned piece of equipment can be really great for producing that airy, natural sound I seek. With practice, you can get to where you can get great sound almost anywhere with 30 seconds of farting around during the soundcheck.
I typically just use a decent cord and run it out into the pa and manipulate it all right from the guitar. I'm pretty much a minimalist and I favor natural sound versus effects.
My nomination for great soundguys goes to Custom Audio in Kaneohe, HI. Several times I've shown up, plugged in and instantly my guitar sounded like the voice of God. The monitors were perfectly in balance, the house sound was awesome and they were pleasant and professional. I agree strongly that being positive and collaborative with the sound engineer is always a good idea. Even if things should go wrong, its just the way to do things.
Hope that's useful info to someone. Thanks everyone the good info you've given! Doug

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  5:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
PS Here's something I posted elsewhere about using the Fishman blender pickup.
http://www.20-04.com/products/fishman-premium-blend-thin

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page