Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 New Guitar Is Here!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  08:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I did something that I said I'd never do....I bought a guitar off e-bay. After having this anxiety build for a whole week while waiting for it to be delivered I finally recieved it. I kept telling myself...that was a stupid thing to do...then, nah it's fine, it'll be OK. As it turns out, it was a very good thing.

I'd been saving nickels and dimes for a new guitar for months. But with the economy as it is I just wasn't making much headway. A friend told me he got a great deal on a Martin HD-28 from e-bay, so I decided to try it.

After doing lots of homework and playing many guitars at many music stores I narrowed my choices down to a Taylor 414 or a Larrivee LV-03re. Lots of 414s came through ebay but bidding always went higher than what I was able to spend. Then this Larrivee came up for auction and I was able to grab it for just $630. It's everything that I hope it would be. I am so relieved!...and happy.

It has the neck width that I wanted - 1 3/4", the wood combo - solid Rosewood back and sides, Spruce top, ebony fretboard, and the L body - between a Dreadnought and an OM, is very balanced. This thing has unbelievable tone and sustain. Even new I think Larrivees are one of the best guitar values around and to get this one - 2 years old - in like new condition for such a good price made my week...maybe even my year.

Ok, gotta' go play my new guitar now...yeeha!

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  09:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Congrats on the new guitar and happy ending. I bought 2 guitars off of Ebay. One was great.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  10:02:27 AM  Show Profile
Kurt - congratulations on your new guitar! May you play it for a long time and may you play it with gusto! (In a nahenahe way, that is.) Mazel Tov.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  10:47:52 AM  Show Profile
See, you can find your soul mate on line.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  10:53:26 AM  Show Profile
Congrats! How about posting some pictures.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  4:30:23 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Congrats on your purchase and satisfaction with the deal. I have bought five guitars on ebay and all have had no regrets. Don't be afraid of ebay but do lots of research and know what you are buying and who you are dealing with. There are many great guitar deals out there. Happy shopping. Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  5:00:41 PM  Show Profile
That's great. I can feel your excitment. In the past my rule has been I would never buy a guitar that I had not played first but I have taken the same chance (bought something off ebay) and felt the same anxieties as you have. Luckily I had the same results... great gutar, great deal. Congratulations !!

Jim
www.ohanahulasupply.com

Edited by - JimC on 09/25/2008 5:01:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  06:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Congratulations from another Larrivee fan (I've owned two and still play a parlor). I've bought nine or ten guitars off eBay in the past six years and all but one have met or exceeded my expectations. (The exception was an electric that was a little worse for the wear than the photos had made it look.) I still have four of them (plus a uke).

Having said that, I should also point out that none of my purchases were made without carefully researching the seller, reading all their customer feedback, purchasing through Paypal only (which gives some recourse for a refund on the off chance that things go horribly wrong), only purchasing from the U.S., asking the seller questions, etc. Ebay is a great place for deals on items like guitars if you're willing to be careful (and patient) but it's also a great place for scammers (although mostly when selling).

Enjoy your new guitar!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  5:45:36 PM  Show Profile
I bought a guitar sight unseen. Back in Dec of '80 there was an ad in the Seattle PI for a D-18 for $650. I called the guy and told him that I had $500, he said "Come on down!". I did, it's the one I use all the time. Lots of guys have told me that it's one of the best D-18s they've heard. Once in a while you can luckout. Have a great life with your new "new appendage".
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  06:13:42 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your new guitar, Kurt, I know you've been looking for some time now! It sounds to me like you got a great deal. I've tried several Larrivee guitars in the past and liked them but somehow always ended up buying something else. I can only imagine what it must have been like for you waiting for your guitar to arrive! Like someone else before me said......let's see some pictures!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  07:03:52 AM  Show Profile
Craig,
The paypal recourse is much more limited that it seems. I bought an instrument and was shipped an entirely different model, a much cheaper one than advertised. Paypal wouldn't honor the dispute because their policy, as was explained to me, is that they only intervene if you don't receive your item. The fact that I received a different model put it outside their working frame. I wrote back asking them if they paid for a BMW and were delivered a Toyota Corona would they consider that delivery on the item, pointing out how the instrument I was delivered list price sells for $500 less than the one I received and which was advertised. Paypal just responded by quoting their policy. Ebay, at least, pulled the seller's ability to list.
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  07:28:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Craig,
The paypal recourse is much more limited that it seems. I bought an instrument and was shipped an entirely different model, a much cheaper one than advertised. Paypal wouldn't honor the dispute because their policy, as was explained to me, is that they only intervene if you don't receive your item. The fact that I received a different model put it outside their working frame. I wrote back asking them if they paid for a BMW and were delivered a Toyota Corona would they consider that delivery on the item, pointing out how the instrument I was delivered list price sells for $500 less than the one I received and which was advertised. Paypal just responded by quoting their policy. Ebay, at least, pulled the seller's ability to list.

Anybody that pays via Credit Card can dispute the charges with the Credit Card company. I know of several instances where the entire amount of the dispute was credited back to the card holder's account. If PayPal refuses to do the right thing and assist in making a fraud right, the Credit Card company has a mechanism for debiting PayPal in order for you to receive your money back. PayPal's response to you is bull...

Technically, RJS, you also have a fraudulent transaction, and because it (the transaction) was completed electronically, there are federal wire fraud statutes at play. You could/should (have) contact(ed) your local Postal Inspector or FBI Field Office. Not enough people who have been victims take the time to go after the thieves, thus there is no real reason for the thievery to stop.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  2:38:31 PM  Show Profile
I got my money back through my credit card bank.
I contacted the postal inspector, but because the point of origination was outside the US, he said that I could file a report, but it wouldn't lead to much.
Ebay banned them.
So, it all worked out ok -- except that Paypal were real jerks. They make a point of telling you how they will assist, but in practice all they do is set up a channel for you to exchange emails with the seller. No teeth. No money back.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  3:12:17 PM  Show Profile
RJS & Poi Dog: Mahalo for the information....that's helpful information for people who haven't done many PayPal or eBay purchases.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  09:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Thanks everyone. So here are a couple of pics. It's nothin' special to look at. Satin finish and just the basic rosette treatment. But it sure sounds nice.

Yes John I was a little anxious waiting for it to arrive. What made it even worse was the fact that it was being shipped from Pasadena Texas. The seller posted a message just before the auction ended stating that Hurricane Ike was heading in their direction and that he expected to be without power for a few days. As it turns out, his power did go out but he was prompt in shipping it as soon as conditions allowed.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  12:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Sweet!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000