Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Rex Lancer Guitars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  4:19:25 PM  Show Profile
A friend inherited a guitar labeled "Rex Lancer". From his description, it sounds like an archtop. I can't find anything definitive on google; perhaps sold by Gretsch or made by Kay. It's probably decades old; my friend got it from his 85 year old father in-law. Anyone know anything about this rig? I may end up with it because my friend doesn't play.

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  08:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Post a picture & I'll see what I can figure out.

My first guess, without any real evidence, is that it is one of the many private labels, so to speak, made by Regal or Harmony or Kay for various stores in the Midwest. I used to own a Marwin, same deal.

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 09/29/2008 08:34:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  08:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
http://gretschpages.com/forum/vintage-gretsch-guitars/tell-me-about-rex-lancer-guitar/8868/page1/

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  08:59:34 AM  Show Profile
thanks guys. I'm going to look at it this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  08:25:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
From the discussion board & pix (thanx, Craig!), it's a Kay-- sold by Gretsch.

Kay's can be cool-- nice low end archtops. Usually plywood w/ pressed (ie not carved) top & back, though some are solid wood. Funky in a good way.

The better ones had nice De Armond pickups. Can't tell from the photo, but I'd bet this one does, too.

I learned to play guitar when I was 12 on a Kay archtop w/ DeArmond, so I have a soft spot for 'em.

If you or your friend decides to let it go, I'd be interested.

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  1:00:46 PM  Show Profile
thanks Mark, I'll let you know what I find out. He offered to give it to me for some guitar lessons. He doesn't want to play slack key, so I guess I'll have to try to remember how to do something else.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  08:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
He doesn't want to play slack key, so I guess I'll have to try to remember how to do something else.

Well, this might be a good time to tell ya about the new series of online video swing guitar lessons I just completed for Jam Play.

Seriously.. I'll post a note when the classes go live.

Archtops are huge fun. I love playing all kinds of music on them: swing, oldtime fiddle backup, early country, hapa haole, even fingerpicking blues.

Remember, Mother Maybelle played a big L5.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  10:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I love my old beater archtop, probably a no-name Kay or Harmony. It's loud, beat-up and heavy. I use it for gigs at the local cowboy supper show and it doesn't need the mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg5_83o7fmk

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  06:26:17 AM  Show Profile
Mark,
I went through most of your JamPlay Slack Key series yesterday on a 7-day free trial I got in Acoustic Guitar mag. This is a great set; I don't remember what a regular membership costs, but I'm going to look into it. For Slacker beginners, this is a great starting point. I hope it does well. Let us know when you get more stuff up there. I got busy and didn't look at everything.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000