Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Add-on Words or Phrases in Hawaiian Songs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  04:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Just wondering, does anyone know of any commonly used add-on words or phrases that occur at the end of a line in a Hawaiian song? The two that I automatically think of are "la" and "'ea." Any others that I'm forgetting or don't know, maybe? I'm asking just in case I decide to compose more mele.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  08:56:23 AM  Show Profile
'Alika, I really wouldn't characterize them as "add-on" or "filler" kind of words. Sometimes they do function in that capacity, but I believe more often than not they also add a particular feel to the meaning, a sometimes untranslatable sense that is easily overlooked in translation.

I wouldn't worry about building a collection of these until you actually get to the point where you need something. If you write a line and sense a gap within or at the end of the phrase, sometimes it simply needs rephrasing or other words which do carry meaning within the phrase. As far as choosing whether to use things like lā, ʻeā, ahahana, ehehene, ē and such, the phrase itself will dictate which would be the appropriate one to use. I rarely, if ever anymore, see those kinds of words in songs and just think "tra-la-la" or that they are filler.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  2:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by keoladonaghy

'Alika, I really wouldn't characterize them as "add-on" or "filler" kind of words. Sometimes they do function in that capacity, but I believe more often than not they also add a particular feel to the meaning, a sometimes untranslatable sense that is easily overlooked in translation.

I wouldn't worry about building a collection of these until you actually get to the point where you need something. If you write a line and sense a gap within or at the end of the phrase, sometimes it simply needs rephrasing or other words which do carry meaning within the phrase. As far as choosing whether to use things like lā, ʻeā, ahahana, ehehene, ē and such, the phrase itself will dictate which would be the appropriate one to use. I rarely, if ever anymore, see those kinds of words in songs and just think "tra-la-la" or that they are filler.

Mahalo nui loa e Keola. It is a true pleasure to have you here in this 'ohana. You are so helpful to those who have language and composition questions. Mahalo once again.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000