Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 When /how often to change strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  04:04:42 AM  Show Profile
How frequently do you change strings? Is there a "rule" on when, i.e., number of playing hours? Does it matter if you play ever so gently or if you play like Richie Havens? Is it more a mtter of economics or availablity? Do you always change strings before an important gig? Not just guitar, but `ukulele, too. Seems to me with slack key, might get work hardening of the strings and make then wear out quickly. Do you try to stretch the amount of time before you have to buy a new set or do you keep a ready supply? Do you always buy the same kind or do you experiment?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  06:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I think it's primarily a factor of how much you play, your body chemistry, how bright you like your strings to sound, and what type of strings you use. I don't play that much, have body chemistry that gets along with strings, can put up with not-so-bright strings, and use coated strings. As a result I change strings maybe two or three times a year. Your mileage will probably vary considerably!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  07:41:11 AM  Show Profile
I pretty much echo the sentiments expressed in Craig's post above and probably change my strings about as often. The use of coated strings, IMHO, significantly increase the amount of time between string changes. Also, to my ears, the strings sound best sound the best after the strings have been on about a week. So if I am going to be playing somewhere and want to sound my best, then I'll change them a week before then.

By the way, congratulations Craig, you just made 2000 posts!

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 10/23/2008 07:42:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  07:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I think we have had this discussion before, but it is always good to refresh one's brain cells.

The bottom line is you should change strings when they need changing... which is often far more often than most people think. As Craig says, many factors affect the wear on the strings.

If you start having trouble tuning, either by ear or with a tuner, it is time to change strings (or the batteries in the tuner, but that's another topic...). Why? Because worn strings lose the ability to produce all of the harmonics evenly, which in turn makes it harder to hear if you are in tune. (Tuners work by "hearing" harmonics.)

If you break a string while tuning down, it is time to change the whole set.

If you are going to be recording for any reason, slap on a fresh set. Mics like nice jangly strings.

If you start hearing odd little buzzes on some notes, it may be the strings. Change 'em. (I had this situation at the Eugene Ukulele Festival-- my uke strings died during one of my classes. I could not change them before the performance that night because, hey, they are uke strings and they take about three days to settle in. So I borrowed a uke.. which was fine until I got in the middle of a difficult tune, looked at the fingerboard and freaked out because it had clear monofiliment strings on it. Yikes!)

If you can see grunge on the wound strings--- change 'em. If you see rust, ummm, what were you using? Anyone out there remember Black Diamonds, the streetsinger's pal?

If you take off a string and it just lies there like a dead noodle instead of sproinging around, your set is many weeks past due for changing.

OK, so how often? Depends. When I was a road dog, I changed strings at least every two or three shows. Certainly every couple of weeks. On every instrument. Yes, I bought strings in bulk. Still do, mostly.

These days, I use Elixers on the guitars (various gauges depending on the guitar) and they last a heckuva lot longer. So I don't change them until I can hear that I have to.

On ukes I mostly use Guadalupe Custom Strings, which also last quite a while. But when they go, they go fast. Aquilas with wound strings wear very unevenly-- the wound strings die long before the "gut" ones.

Bass strings last forever, though I'm looking forward to slipping a set of Road Toad Pahoehoe's on my Ashbory. So yes, I experiment.

Steel guitar?? Same as electric guitar, change 'em when they sound bad.

I picked up some DR Zebra's for my archtop-- they are wound of brass & nickel. Great acoustic tone, and the nickel works with the pickup. If you use a magnetic pickup, check 'em out.

I have no financial connection or endorsement deal with any string maker. More's the pity.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  09:41:37 AM  Show Profile
It's hard to know on steel, especially the electric variey, because it doesn't show up as obviously as on a regular guitar or uke. I am essentially slothful, and I often wait too long out of laziness. On my banjo or the uke, it's usually "why did I ver but this piece of @ # @ #$%#%?" Then I realize that I haven't changed strings for way too long. Fresh strings solve the problem. I totally agree with Mark about overtone sequences. Down in Eugene, I said that my tuner wasn't very accurate. After Mark's post, I changed my strings, and - tada - the tuner works much better!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  10:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Wanda

I would echo what several of others have already said, but if you are taking a poll/collecting stats, I change strings (Elixer, coated strings) on my primary guitar about every 6 weeks to 2 months.

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  10:36:56 AM  Show Profile
Good tip on the tuner. I always wondered why it sometimes doesn't work well. Never put two and two together. Thanks Mark,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  10:52:04 AM  Show Profile
Change what? Oh you mean like underwear? YELLOW IN FRONT AND BROWN IN DA BACK?
E Jeff get strings where you live?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 10/23/2008 10:53:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  12:02:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
If you take off a string and it just lies there like a dead noodle instead of sproinging around, your set is many weeks past due for changing.

That's a new one, mahalo Mark.

Allow me to add if you play nylon, D'Addario Pro-Arte Composites are a good investment for longevity.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  12:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Changing strings is PART OF THE INSTRUMENT. One attends to one's appendages, clipping mails, hangnails, attending to cuts and bruises. Strings--same deal. If you comb your hair (eh, no jokes about the follicularly challenged!), you change your strings. 'Azz it.
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  12:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

E Jeff get strings where you live?

Aloha e, Al

Yeah, not so easily. Thank goodness for internet shopping. Otherwise gotta go over the hump to Redding to nearest guitar store. Wouldn't be torture or anything, but I don't get there very often...

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  03:16:50 AM  Show Profile

Someone told me that If I boiled my guitar strings, it'd give them a new lease of life. Well it took me ages to find a pan big enough, but I gave it a go. The strings might have got a new lease of life, but my poor guitar's never been the same since!

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  06:04:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

If you comb your hair (eh, no jokes about the follicularly challenged!), you change your strings. 'Azz it.

So guitarists with dreadlocks have been playing with the same strings for years?

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 10/24/2008 06:05:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  06:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by javeiro

By the way, congratulations Craig, you just made 2000 posts!

Mahalo...not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  07:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
I was thinking about what Mark (and others) mentioned regarding time for a change when you start having trouble tuning or staying in tune, and I thought of something else that affects me pretty strongly and it's a timely topic: during just such times of year as this right here, I can start having troubles with tuning/staying in tune that are related to humidity changes. My area has pretty consistently low humidity and I keep a humidifier in my guitar/case at all times. I can tell when the humidifier needs more water when the strings seem to start behaving badly. And it gets touchier with seasonal changes.

Something else to consider before you pull the strings off and boil them...

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  08:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Oh! You gotsta pull off da strings before you boilem?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000