Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 When /how often to change strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  11:19:10 AM  Show Profile
I usta change my strings every Christmas when Wanda bought me new ones. Couldn't spare the cash for strings, though I managed to buy some when I broke one. After I started playing out, I started changing before gigs, but not before open mikes or jams. So it got to be every few months, instead of once a year. They definately get harder to tune when they're too old. If you change 'em and the instrument sounds really great, you waited too too long. Seems like the idea is to maintain the sound quality, not to restore it. The time has to vary with each player's style and other factors. Playing half an hour per day, they probably need replacement after 6-8 weeks. If your hands are prone to sweating a lot, they may need it more often- the salt content is hard on strings. I suspect the coated strings would resist the sweat problem pretty well, but the high cost makes me shy away,as I can change cheaper strings more often. I used those old Black Diamonds for a number of years, as they were what was cheap and readily available back then. I haven't seen them in a long time. Seems like they were pretty heavy gauges, too. Not so good for my hands nowadays. Music stores seem to carry a lot more makes and gauges than they did around 1966-1970.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  2:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
quote:Originally posted by thumbstruck

If you comb your hair (eh, no jokes about the follicularly challenged!), you change your strings. 'Azz it.

So guitarists with dreadlocks have been playing with the same strings for years?

Judging from the sound of that poor old Martin on "Redemption Song," yeah.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  2:49:37 PM  Show Profile
I don't like changing strings because it messes up my fingernails and it takes too long. I do it anyway. But, I think if they made them modular people would change them more often.
Here's my plan: Six strings, two spools...snap,snap, done. Now that would be a beautiful thing! :)

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  4:55:02 PM  Show Profile
Anyone use one of those devices that do all the winding and tuning automatically? On sale at musician's friend?

Personally I use an electric screwdriver with a string changing atachment - helps a bit.

Since I play on nylon strings, I have to plan ahead to change strings a few days before a performance so they have time to "set." If I'm playing a major gig, I will change them anyway - otherwise, I change them when it starts feeling like I'm working too hard.
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  07:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage
Aloha,

Timi changes strings whenever he feels the need, it comes to usually about once a week for the 12 string guitars. He prefers Martin SP or Fender strings for these instruments.

For the 6 string guitars we found these really neat strings called DR Extra Life. He'll use either the Red Devils or the neat looking green ones. The last set of Red Devils lasted a couple weeks which is EXCELLENT longevity in our house. They're a handmade coated string, but unlike Elixers, every string is coated, even the non wound strings. Timi very much likes the sound quality from those strings as well. For the classical guitar he uses Martin strings. The electric guitar gets Fender strings.

The ukuleles get changed about once a month, depending on how they sound. Kamaka Ukulele strings were a favorite, but now they use Hilo or GHS. We try to change the uke strings at least 3 days before a gig so they can stretch. Timi also hand stretches the strings while he's changing them.

We just got the banjo, so Timi's still trying different strings. That instrument gets new strings about once a month too.

The electric bass gets changed every couple months as the kids don't use it that much. The bass uke hasn't been changed yet because we just recently acquired it. The pakini bass has new string and a full set washers handy, but we only change that string when the wear is visible.

Oh Lord, I hope we never have to change the auto harp strings, they're like $100 a set!

As far as how you play, it seems in our home it's more a matter of how often you change tunings. We've managed to acquire a couple guitars and ukes for Timi. He keeps certain guitars in certain tunings, that really cuts down on the wear and tear of the strings. Also, remembering to wipe down your strings after you play really helps too.

Because Timi's ears are so sensitive, he can't stand buzzing strings or an instrument that is out of tune. Anytime there is something "off" on an instrument, the first thing Timi does is change the strings. I remember one time he put on some Martin Marquis strings, he played half a song and took them all back off and replaced them with the Martin SP strings. "They're buzzing," he said. That's just how it is in our house. I think of it like this: You can either use a rock to put a nail into the wall or a hammer. The right tool makes all the difference.

Aloha, Lanet ~ mom of the Abrigo Ohana

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000