Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ray Kane tuning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marty
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  5:40:39 PM  Show Profile
On the CD Hawaiian Sunset Music,,Ray Kane plays a great song,"Ke Kaula 'Ili. Would anyone here know what tuning he is using???
Aloha,
Marty

Surf all morning, slack key all afternoon

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  04:45:21 AM  Show Profile
I don't have that CD, but I know that Uncle Ray played mostly in taropatch, G wahine, and dropped C.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  08:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Taropatch G from listening to the clip on http://www.mele.com (and a tip of the hat to Auntie Marie for her marvelous site).

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

marty
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  4:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Aloha thumbstruck and Fran....Thanks for the info.
Maybe I'll be able to figure it out now.
Thumbstruck,,,The CD is Hawaiian Sunset Music...it's remastered and it sounds great...features "the Ray Kane Band". I believe that the band is Ray and his Son in Law. Got it from Mele.
Aloha and Mahalo,
Marty

Surf all morning, slack key all afternoon
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  04:34:59 AM  Show Profile
There was a guy named Larry Awana I knew that lived up the road from me who used to be Ray Kane's bass player. He moved back to the islands. If he was still around, I could ask him.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  07:48:49 AM  Show Profile
Bobby Moderow might know, if anyone has contact info for him. He is a member here, puakala but there's no contact information in his profile.

I just dug out my copy of this CD (and my guitar) and listened. I go with Fran here and say Taropatch G.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 10/27/2008 08:19:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  08:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
The "Hawaiian Sunset Music" album is Ray and his student Mike Lowe, who is (unless there's been a recent change) not related by marriage. I concur with Fran that the key is concert G (not slacked down, as Ray sometimes did to match his voice) and the tuning sounds like taropatch to me.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  09:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I really like "Hawaiian Sunset Music" but I mentioned that to Auntie Elodia once and she said Uncle Ray wasn't happy with it...it was either something to do with the arrangements or something to do with the backup band but I don't remember.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  2:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Can ask Ray Sowders or Doug Fitch, both members here. They were haumana of Uncle.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  12:51:58 PM  Show Profile
Kimo in the O.C. would know, he too was a live-in student of Uncle Ray.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2008 :  02:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
Hi Marty! Great question. I'm now listening to the recording of it. I agree with Fran that its taro. Part of the reason I think so are the signature licks he does. Michael Lowe who was the other guitarist on this album so he would really know. Another great source of info would be Bobby Moderow. Please know that though I was very fortunate to be able to study with Raymond, it was in his latter years. Bobby and Michael were able to spend more significant amounts of time with him in Raymond's younger years. I continue to meet with Bobby who straightens me out on all-things-Kane. Bobby is great. One of the great legacies of Ray's is that his students, including for example Ray Sowders, are just some of the coolest, most generous people you could ever hope to meet. Elodia and Ray's kindness and generosity continue on through this cadre of musicians. By the way, Elodia is doing well and I see her every month and play music there. Elodia remains an amazing singer and great entertainer. Once Raymond's brother was present and it was a touching moment for all needless to say. Anyhow, malama kou piko!-Doug

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000