Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 3rd finger from the Thumb, and guitar sizes...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  06:07:45 AM  Show Profile
It took three times to pass freshman English...I just couldn't narrow my topics!
So, while
PIMA on right hand is what I generally aim for...
The A finger on the right hand seems to provide some articulation challenges, and it's position and shape when working a song...

So I am 6'4", but my guitar is smaller than a Dreadnought...
and my right hand bends to accomodate hand location...bending at first knuckle--closest to the hand/palm area (so it's a more arched where the fingers start than (as I understand it) , is the classical ideal...where guitar fingerstyle bends mostly from the middle knuckle of the fingers. (???)

I like my Goodall...and people love their even smaller parlour size guitars, but it's been pointed out that I might benefit from going back to a larger guitar...
The forearm would set in a point farther back from the sound-hole, and hopefully I could flatten out the arch in my right hand...

For some reason, I find this "A" finger tends to be a little rebellious in articulating, execution and may be "hooking" too deep/over the top and into the string...(nail length factor?) ...it does tend to have more flesh than nail contact...

When I start to do a Sonny C or Ray Kane, it actually helps to limit my right hand to PIM...
and not get hung up on 4 finger technique...
Perhaps I'll break down and call the local classical folks...as long as they can deal with what I'm trying to accomplish, and my nail busting steel string Goodall!

One classical teacher pointed out that most of the classical and flamenco greats of old were about the size I was in 8th (or 6th) grade.
Anybody else aware of size differential (body type to guitar) and r.hand articulation considerations?

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 10/28/2008 06:20:53 AM

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  08:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Not sure if this helps, but I feel that the size of the guitar does have an impact, although not so much as string spacing. I am 6'3" and have a 00 size guitar, a dreadnought, and an L body Larrivee which is slightly smaller than a dread. For me, the size of the guitar has little effect on finger picking. However, each guitar has different string spacing and that definitely has an impact.

I find that wider spacing at the saddle - the Larrivee is 1 1/4" - eliminates a lot of issues such as accidentally plucking the wrong string. It also allows my fingers to spread out a little instead of being cramped close together as is necessary for the narrow string spacing. I use both 3 finger/thumb, and finger/thumb styles. That being said, your guitar may have the wider spacing which makes all this meaningless to you.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  10:59:24 AM  Show Profile
I have to agree with Kurt. I am also 6'3 and play both a Taylor 614, which is I believe approximately OM sized, and a similarly sized Alvarez Yairi Classical. I have tried Dreadnoughts and don't particularly like the large size for sit-down fingerstyle. String spacing is the thing. A Taylor Dan Crary signature model, though the same size, is a lousy fingerstyle guitar for me. Perhaps if I had little tiny hands it might actually be good. Crary is a flat picker and the guitar is set up for that style. I don't know the measurements, but it just feels wrong. I can't comment on the ring finger issues, cuz I don't have one, courtesy of an accident in my youth. I kinda stuck with a three finger style-PIM.
Aloha
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  12:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

So, while
PIMA on right hand is what I generally aim for...
The A finger on the right hand seems to provide some articulation challenges, and it's position and shape when working a song...

So I am 6'4", but my guitar is smaller than a Dreadnought...
and my right hand bends to accomodate hand location...bending at first knuckle--closest to the hand/palm area (so it's a more arched where the fingers start than (as I understand it) , is the classical ideal...where guitar fingerstyle bends mostly from the middle knuckle of the fingers. (???)

I like my Goodall...and people love their even smaller parlour size guitars, but it's been pointed out that I might benefit from going back to a larger guitar...
The forearm would set in a point farther back from the sound-hole, and hopefully I could flatten out the arch in my right hand...

For some reason, I find this "A" finger tends to be a little rebellious in articulating, execution and may be "hooking" too deep/over the top and into the string...(nail length factor?) ...it does tend to have more flesh than nail contact...

Are you planting your pinkie?? There is apparently a physiological connection between the pinkie and the ring (annular) which causes them to move together, and planting the pinkie then constricts movement of the annular.

As for size and hand position, I find the string spacing at the bridge to be a big factor. I prefer a very wide 2 3/8" (yay, Martin OM18V!!) but after several years of developing my fingerstyle chops I can now navigate 2 1/4" spacing fairly well. Narrower spacing, like the 2 1/8" common on dreadnaughts forces me to pinch my fingers together and leads to innacuracy and even cramping.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  2:11:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Are you planting your pinkie?? There is apparently a physiological connection between the pinkie and the ring (annular) which causes them to move together, and planting the pinkie then constricts movement of the annular.
quote:

Ah, the Pinkie and the Brain connection...no, I don't use the pinky anchor...
Without going to get a tape... the Goodall is 2 1/4' width (at the nut) I believe...
it is wider than the Martin dreadnoughts, but not as wide as some of the fingerstyle...
I do like a guitar that isn't totally geared to fingerpicking...and the extra wide necks seem to limit speed in strumming or chordal styles...

and width at the bridge has also been something I've tried to test at the Acoustic store here...
Many options...but trading around seems to cost money, and may not resolve problems of mysterious origins...

I'm slow to trade around and/or sell instruments to facilitate new purchases...and the Goodall was a big step up...at about half the prices in guitar stores...even after "discounts".
I believe the benefit of lessons with the right person could clarify and improve some problem areas...both guitar, adapting to my hands and body factors, and, of course... technique issues.

I have wealthy families who run out and buy expensive instruments, but won't get their kid into lessons...
So I teach what I want to learn! Teachers before any more shopping.

Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  11:26:49 AM  Show Profile
While reading the latest Acoustic Guitar I had another thought about guitar sizes. Most Dreadnoughts are actually set up for strumming and flat picking, since their derivation is as high volume backing instruments for Bluegrass bands. Again this would contribute more to the fingerstyle playability than the body size.
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  01:13:32 AM  Show Profile
There are some wider Martin's...more finger-style friendly...
but, for now I'm sticking to my Goodall...it works, although I've got a roaming guitar-eye...
and always looking for a comparable, less expensive "Island"/travel guitar...that ain't cardboard...
a friend has suggested Charval acoustic...with extra set-up work, maybe...but maybe it's
time to call shoppers anonymous.
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  11:37:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm currently in Honolulu [death in the family], carried-on gig-bagged vtg Martin 5-18. It's what I got, so it'll be what I use to play a coupla brief pieces at the service Friday using thumb + 3. A bit of adjustment needed, but no big deal [at least for the modest level I play at...]
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  07:26:49 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

There are some wider Martin's...more finger-style friendly...
but, for now I'm sticking to my Goodall...it works, although I've got a roaming guitar-eye...
and always looking for a comparable, less expensive "Island"/travel guitar...that ain't cardboard...
a friend has suggested Charval acoustic...with extra set-up work, maybe...but maybe it's
time to call shoppers anonymous.

I started on a Martin 00-18, then to a 000-28, which I loved. Economics forced me to sell it, and I got a D-18 on the rebound. Since I am 5'7" and have small hands, the D-18 is just too big for me to finger pick on, so I haven't played it much. That is a bout to be remidied: I have a new 000-28 on order. Watch out!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  11:27:25 AM  Show Profile
A "bout" to be remedied? Ha!
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000