Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 minor theory test/ Halloween chords and shapes.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  2:23:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey, before the Yuletide tunes...
how bout some nice dabbling in MINOR?
Ghostly Galleons of taropatch minor shapes...
kinda fun to explore late at night...with minor i and iv chords...but dominant V7's (flat 9's ok)...
...but I'm not aware of many Hawaiian minor tunes...which is a Minor Drag.
one chord minors, but make the V7 a regular dominant 7...
or add some diminished and smashed pumpkin chords ....

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  05:34:42 AM  Show Profile
Three songs in minor keys off the top of my head:

Wahine Holohio (verse, not the chorus)
Kawika (verse, not the chorus)
E Manono

I think these are all based on chants.

Bill Wynne had other suggestions in a previous thread: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6566

"quote:

Originally posted by hapakid

As far as the major/minor alternating keys, you hear it in the classic Johnny Noble arrangement of the Hawaiian War Chant, or Kaua I Ka Huahua'i, which a few guys still perform today. Sometimes it is major-to-relative minor and sometimes it minor-to-major in the same key.

There are a few of this type of song:

Ka Hua I Ka Huahua`i
Wahine Hololio
E Lili`u E
Mahai`ula
Hula (seldom heard, composed by Bina Mossman)
Kipikoa
Moku Kia Kahi
He`eia
Waimea Fantasy/Pu`u Ohu

But it should also be pointed out that many of the chants were in a minor tonality, as well. The chants that contain only two notes are based on a root and a perfect fifth. But many which have three notes are based on the root, the fifth, and either a minor third or a minor seventh. (Of course, that probably makes them some mode that I am not thinking of, but the ear is hearing minor - not major.)"

Edited by - Momi on 10/29/2008 05:50:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  05:35:07 AM  Show Profile
Ko Ma`i Ho`eu`eu is in a minor key and changes keys within the song.

I think also the mele made from the chant Kawika.

One of my favorite poems...
And still of a winter's night, they say, when the wind is in the trees,
When the moon is a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,
When the road is a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor,
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

And on Bla's website www.pahinui.com you can hear the "Monster Mash"

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  01:03:11 AM  Show Profile
The Highwayman, by Alfred Noyes....I'd forgotten which rusty vault I'd scaped the cobwebs out of to find that memorable phase.

When Captain Cook and other ships first appeared around Hawaii, it must have seemed a "Ghostly Galleon" ....
and dream-like to the men on the ship too.

And thanks for the tune possibilities...otherwise, I'm only 'doing my own thing...not true Hawaiian or slack...
Kawika...I'd forgotten about that one down in the rusty song vault. The Brothers Cazimero do nice mixing of moving between parallel major and minors and the chant, but being a mainlander, the first version I knew was the Ka'u Crater Boys.
So I usually try that on Ukulele...still trying to get better thumb and finger "aggression" for those "leads"....but the strumming is the real support for the vocal on KCB version.

It seems more of the old tunes are natural minor, minor based modes, instead of the classical like use of a dominant V7 in Harmonic or Melodic minor...but Harmonic does have a more gypsy or spooky tendency. But I think maybe the gypsies got voted off the Island.
Next time, let's lose the real-estate grabbing business conglomerates.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 10/30/2008 01:05:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  10:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
My impression is that unless the minor mode is consciously or unconsciously lifted from the ancient chant style, most of the minor scales you hear in "golden age" Hawaiian music are from the arranger, not the composer. A song like "Kaua i ka Huahua'i" is sung the way Johnny Noble arranged, alternating major and minor with same root, e.g., G and Gm. It definitely gives that song a spooky feel, despite the words being erotic. It's probably the same with some of the other songs mentioned. Each era of music had its off-island influences and artists that brought things into the musical vernacular. I just made a youtube of "Sweet Memory", which is a song from the 1970s, marked by maj7 chords and IV>IVminor changes from that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0smWmMhzfuA

Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 10/31/2008 10:11:36 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000