Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 By Some Fluke...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  3:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
My slack key partner went to (true story) Antarctica for 5 months and without a guitar! I want to find a well-playable tenor uke, preferably a Fluke, for around $150 to mail to him to learn on during the COLD nights there. Used is fine and it doesn't have to be pretty except no cracks. But it has to play well and sound reasonable. Any suggestions as to where to find one? The ones on ebay are too expensive. Thanks!

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  11:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
My local shop sells Kala and Lanikai and they are pretty tough (dunno about 40 below zero). Plus they're cheap. The Kala tenors and baritones sound pretty good and the body is very light, so it ring well. I would replace the strings with low G strings. My 2 cents.

Jesse
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  9:38:28 PM  Show Profile
Sylvan Stringed Inst(ur)ments (for you Craig) in Santa Cruz.
I picked up a couple for far less than that a couple of years ago. $150.00 is way too much.

check out their web site, and buy online if able.

Cheers

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  6:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Thanks, guys. I ordered a Kala tenor with setup, hard case, low G string, Daniel Ho's book, a Led CD and mailing to Antarctica for less than $200. So I think I made out okay. Mike - it appears that Sylvan has increased its prices a lot. Thanks both for the help. I wouldn't have known what to do otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  10:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I think that uke will bring a lot of smiles to Antarctica.

Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  01:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
Wow, I'm thinking go with a fluke just because its mostly plastic. The wooden neck is thick and under very little tension, just thaw it out slowly when return! Pack extra strings just in case, not sure how quickly Musician's Friend can deliver to latitude 0!
Aloha, Doug

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page

drdanguitr
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  7:13:19 PM  Show Profile
Not really important, but I'm kind of a geography geek: Latitude zero is like the equator... Antarctica is more like Latitude minus ninety! A lot like the temperature there!

DrDanGuitr
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  2:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by drdanguitr

Not really important...
Maybe not exactly on-topic, BUT very important; thanks for the distinction (and in your first post, too!)
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  8:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Well, folks - the uke arrived in Antarctica and Andy, who has only played slack key guitar, already received compliments on his playing it. It was a great surprise to find it on his doorstep and he was delighted when he opened it and saw what it was. His email to me was just loaded with thank you's and mahalo's some of which certainly belong to the Taropatch ohana. So I pass them along to you along with my own. Sometimes we land on just the perfect gift and it feels so good to watch the effect. This was one of those times.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  07:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Hurrah! Thanks, Mark! We're all gonna jam together when he comes back to the (relatively) warm Northwest!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  09:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
That's a great ukulele Christmas story.

Jesse
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly