Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Keola Beamer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  7:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I attended the Nov. 22nd show Keola and Maonoalani Beamer did in Antioch, Ca. It was nice to reunite with my classmate. It was a great show and at the end while he signed a CD, I asked him about tunings. I used the Kilauea tuned to C. He said that it was nice but to try C wahine. I settled for Keola's C. Now the problem, I had a pretty good repertoire of songs in C Kilauea. I have none in Keola's C. Any help with chords would be greatly appreciated. I can transpose to the songs that I have. I noticed that Keola's C can almost be used with uke chords, am I on the right track? MAHALOZ!

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  8:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
See if this helps a bit. http://www.taropatch.net/tunings_cwahine.htm

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  11:45:44 AM  Show Profile
You may have noticed that Keola's C has the same tuning of the first 4 strings as standard tuning. Therefore all of the one and two finger chords you learned when first picking up the guitar will work. It is a good starting point.
Aloha
Allen
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  6:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo, I'll try the chords out. Now do the uke chords really work or am I just delusional?
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  6:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by mpi_50

Mahalo, I'll try the chords out. Now do the uke chords really work or am I just delusional?

The ʻukulele chords work since the first 4 strings of Keola's C are the same as standard tuning. Compared to uke, the intervals are the same, but notes are different. The ʻukulele is as if you had a capo at the 5th fret of your guitar (tuned in standard.)

Andy
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  7:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
Ok, so I wasn't imagining anything. Thanks I had good success building arepetoire of songs in c kilauea, and I'm fighting the depression of starting all over again in an unknown territory.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  9:02:54 PM  Show Profile
It is ok to play in the C Kilauea, even if it isn't a common tuning. You just have to be a bit more careful on the basses.

Sonny Chillingworth often said that it was better to learn one tuning very very well rather than a bunch of tunings learned poorly. Of course, he was talking about Taro Patch. That was, btw, the first tuning Keola learned, too.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  7:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I should have gone with my gut instinct, that was my first choice, auwe!
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  7:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
RJS, I'm in Brentwood, No.Cal.; you said be careful on the basses, could you expand on that please.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000