Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Honeys this afternoon
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  12:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage
Aloha,

We're going to Honeys this afternoon. If any of you folks are going, please come by our table and introduce yourself. The music is scheduled from 3:30 to 7 p.m.

A Hui Hou, the Abrigo Ohana

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  1:18:36 PM  Show Profile
My wife spotted the ad the other day. We're going to try to stop by Ko`olau Golf Club/Honey's before going to friends in Maunawili.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  10:41:56 PM  Show Profile
That is a wonderful place. I'd take up golf if we had golf courses like that here in Ohio. So beautiful with the Ko`olau looking like velvet corduroy right there as a back drop. Good grinz at Honey's -- not too expensive. The bread pudding for dessert is da bomb!

And the music --oh, wow. But we did not get to see Uncle Eddie, he was under the weather. But guess who I did get to see? Yep, that CUTE Ocean Kaowili!!!!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  08:26:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

That is a wonderful place. I'd take up golf if we had golf courses like that here in Ohio.

If you played there, you would give up golf. It is rated with some of the US' toughest courses. Nesteled in it's greenery are about 8 golf balls that once belonged to me; I think I dumped 4-5 trying to challenge the 18th. Thankfully, after the round, the spirits at Honey's helped ease the pain...and I don't mean `uhane. Beautiful views, though. I got to see a lot of the course and a lot off the course.

Side...I used to live across Kamehameha Hwy from the Old Honeys. Crown Terrace...Ohala Street...yeah, Peter?

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 11/10/2008 08:28:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  09:34:49 AM  Show Profile
Ocean played slack key acoustic [Atta's tuning, he told me] and sang. Another guy [didn't get his name] played Ocean's bass & sang. Paul Kim superbly played a Fender Double Eight lap steel and sang beautifully in the falsetto/yodel style. Dennis/"Blah" [didn't get last name] played elec gtr and sang. All were great singers individually and in 4-part harmony.

Eddie Kamae sat in, he's "still got it" for sure. Wonderful to see, hear, and eventully meet this legend.

The musicians were very friendly, kindly chatted during break. Dennis sat with us a bit, saw my guitar [didn't want to leave it in the car] and asked if I wanted to play. These guys are waaaay over my head in Hawai`ian music, I felt it best to say thanks but had to get on our way to dinner at friends' soon. As the saying goes:

"Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha."

The Abrigo family's great. Daughter plays uke/sings, older son plays slacked 12/sings, younger son [6 years old?] plays wash-tub bass with amazing aplomb. Good to meet Mom [Lanet] and hear the kids play.

It's well worth searching out this wonderful reincarnation of Honey's that used to be in Kailua for kanikapila on Fridays & Sundays. The Ko`olau Golf Club's a beautiful and secluded place, glad we found our way there!
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  10:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage
Oh, Honeys was fun last night! The wonderful gentleman on the bass is Mr. Analu Aina. He was the bass player for the legendary Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. He, like the rest of the band there are just fabulous. For some reason, when the children and I go there, we feel like we're right at home. Maybe because Uncles Eddie, Analu, Paul, and Mike (who wasn't there last night ) are SOOO welcoming to everyone. It was nice meeting Blah for the first time too. Jeff Au Hoy was in the audience too. We were so hoping he would play, he is another great, young steel guitarist. He often goes to the Marriott on Thursday evenings to play with the Keawe family.

Basilking, it was very nice meeting you and your delightful wife last night. Thank you so much for coming to the table and introducing yourselves. Hope you made it to Wal Mart today, and have a safe trip home tomorrow.

And wcerto, I'll let Ocean know he has another fan! He is a handsome devil isn't he?! And what a wonderful voice to go along with his great guitar playing.

~the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000