Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Saw Led and Iz [...] a week ago
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  1:16:10 PM  Show Profile
We've been on O`ahu finalizing funeral arrangements for my Hawai`ian mother-in-law this past week. Went to the cemetery where Dad had arranged/paid for his and Mom's funerals in 1960; we just had to sort a few details. My wife incidentally asked about arrangements for folks wishing to be cremated [and scattered, our wish] so we were shown a beautiful, fairly new section where both niches and memorial markers are available.

We noticed by mere chance a beautiful flat marker below a tree [a few leis hanging on branches] which read "Israel Kamakawiwo'ole". So we "saw" Iz... though his ashes were scattered off Makaha I believe.

Later that day, relatives in tow, we went to Kona Brewing Co in Hawai`i Kai to see Ledward Ka`apana along with Mike Ka`awa & a few other guests sitting in. Great music!!!!

Led said he and Mike would be away, appearing in WA and OR this week or I'd be dragging everybody out again tonight to see him. Highly recommend seeing him and Mike if you're anywhere near where they're playing on the mainland.

Though mainly a sad journey, this trip's been fulfilling. Seen lots of family and friends, all events went well. I even played a litte slack key [literally "little": my Martin 5-18, short medley of Mom's favorite 2 songs] at the service.

My wife said at the end of her eulogy that Mom's "story" has a happy, peaceful ending. Given the circumstances we're still having "good" time in Hawai`i. Lotsa "ono grinds", got to meet a local slack key friend I'd only known via internet and play a bit while watching his daughter's outrigger canoe practice off Ala Moana.

My wife's heading out for a while to be with her thoughts and get a cup of coffee. I'm going upstairs [lucky break to stay w/friends in Nu`u anu Pali area] to feel the breeze, play those pieces for Mom again. She lived a long and fulfilling life, is now next to her husband again in time for their next anniversary.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000