Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Memorization
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  6:45:30 PM  Show Profile
Ah, that's better Kurt! I have used the CD-in-the-car learning technique too and it was really helpful. The trouble is now that I'm retired I'm not in the car alone enough to learn anything with that method any more!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  10:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage
Interesting to read that there are 2 distinct schools of thought, music that is played and music that is sung.

For those that can do both for countless songs on end have a gift and understand how to make use of both, and for the rest of us we can do some playing that may be of help.

My thought on posting this subject line was to see if there was more than what I am listing below. Please let me clarify that what works for one and has been tried and proven is great.

If your like me, I am hungry for ways to get more from playing music and understanding it so I can do better so maybe this might help someone who have an interest.

Awhile back I auditioned with Peter Curajio who was at that time the head master for UH School of Piano.

Was not good enough to get in their program as a walk on off the street. Age played a factor as well. Peter advised you can do it, but you don’t have enough time to make it worth the slot, so we want youth too.

Shocking to find at 38 you’re old!

So 2 ( 1 after the other over several months) of his students that take students on to teach the catechism of music took me on. They were paid and were graded for credit.

What I was introduced there was quite remarkable.

I was advised that practice (yeah, I said play? NO PRACTISE) of Scales and Chords For the Piano in all the Major and Minor Keys(G. Schirmers Library of Classic Music Vol. 392).

What playing of this work will do for ones playing of pieces is like getting high performance from hot rod engine rebuild for your daily drive or whatever turns one on.

The music is on 6 pages. The start is on C Major, A minor melodic, A minor harmonic, G Major, E minor Melodic, E minor harmonic and so forth. I found as I played the scales, proficiency comes along with ease of memory as well as allowing good chord transition.

It can take an intermediate player a few weeks to work their way through the work, and every day you play. When I started it took about a week or so to work through the first page or so. Playing was set to 20 minutes within a 60 minute set with other music too.

The music was played start to finish, and if you gained proficiency the result reward is this can take your playing in many directions.

What I am thinking about is the meaning to slack key.

This sets your mind up to impressions from the songs you play. This came from a book called the Pianist's Approach to Sight Reading & Memorizing - Beryl Rubinstein Author of 'Outline to Piano Pedagogy
This work is printed by Carl Fischer ID#03566.

The opening of the memorization section of this short soft cover covers command of the instrument and knowledge of the musical elements which make up the composition.

Boiling again through this little soft cover.... allowing the emotion of fear from not knowing sections of what is to be played take control jumping out like a monkey on ones back, especially when solo.

There is a ton more in this read and as well for those who want to get verses of verbiage down too. Their take is that the language (as was pointed out in one of the other posts) has meaning in that of which the mind can easily remember.

Then the sentence: ....learns to play without being taught or learning the object of playing it, which is unfolding of beauty & by significance by means of tones.

This is on pages 41-47. The beginning of this book is on mechanics and sight reading, how to stay ahead while playing in your reading.

After the piano, and seeing all the frets with the different tunings makes me realize that one could work for tons of years and not get through the tunings. It is rather quite amazing!

Enough for now for this keyboard, its fret board time!

Music and Ridin'

Edited by - RichM on 11/19/2008 10:08:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  12:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
Memorization is a great topic! I guess I use two methods. First, I listen ad nauseum to a recording. Getting the feel of it is everything for me. The phrasing, structure, rhythms, just the spirit of the song. This is the most important part to me.

The second part of learning lyrics in Hawaiian to me (I'm NOT a fluent speaker), is to understand the meaning of the lyrics. I look at the lyrics, attempt to understand the story, the imagery, the kaona. From this I link the meaning of the verses together logically in sequence in my melon based upon the storyline.

The techie part would be the second part which employs learning theory derived from clinical psychology. Clinical psychology is after all 4 things: perception, memory, learning, and emotion. Learning theory explains that chunking of similar information facilitates learning. Also, "interference tasks" (stuff not related to that material)should be avoided. You've all said it above perhaps more eloquently. So I'm not saying anything new. I also tend to practice/learn right before bed at night. Certainly this reduces interference tasks while learning occurs in an emotionally positive state. Even emotion of course effects encoding of info too.

Bottom line, it all makes me feel good so I sleep better and have something to show for it. Blah blah blah...Aloha all. Doug

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000