Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Aloha `Oe, Peggy Chun
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  08:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I just received news from the Chun `ohana that artist Peggy Chun is gone. Peggy had lived with ALS since 2002, thanks to a dedicated and loving group of friends.

http://www.peggychun.com/

Peggy Chun was the inspiration for the Aloha Camp. Annie and I met her when we attended one of her famous "Beamer Raves." Keola & I had been discussing writing a book, and so we flew to Kona to meet him and his family. Little did we know what we were getting into.

There on the grounds of the Thurston estate in Kailua Kona we heard Kaliko and his friends speaking Hawaiian, made lei with Moana's mom Dorothy, watched people practice hula, sang and played `ukulele and slack key, listen to oli, painted watercolors with Peggy, and talked story with Aunty Nona.

I told Keola that we needed a way to share this experience with people who might want to buy the book we would write. Several years later, at another Beamer rave-- where we hiked the Alaka`i Swamp Trail dressed as insects -- we agreed to just that.

Peggy was able to attend a couple of our early camps -- I think every single person at Kalani Honua, including the dog, took her watercolor classes.

She had more life and spirit than one body could hold. She left life as she lived it, surrounded by love.

Warmest wishes for the Chun `Ohana.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200811190100/BREAKING01/81119087

Edited by - Mark on 11/20/2008 08:32:52 AM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  08:53:57 AM  Show Profile
Her book touched me profoundly. It was a Christmas gift last year, and after my heart problems and getting out of the hospital just in time for Christmas, it made my problems seem minor. What beautiful art and what a beautiful heart.

Aloha `oe.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  2:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Before you read Lee Cataluna's story on Peggy's final days, get the tissues handy.
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008811200367
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  6:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
We will dearly miss Peggy. We only got to spend a brief time with her at an early AMC but feel lucky to have met her. What a great teacher and amazing person. She will live on through our memories and her beautiful artwork.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000