Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Coated strings, nanoweb, polyweb?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  3:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
The development of NanoWeb Coating was initiated by musician feedback. At a mere 400 nanometers thick, NanoWeb Coating is about 30% of the thickness of PolyWeb Coating -- the original coating technology featured on Elixir Strings. Substantial innovations by Gore in fluoropolymer technology have enabled the development of this ultra-thin coating that retains the exceptionally high durability that musicians have come to expect from Elixir Strings.
For Elixir strings, what's the difference between nanoweb and polyweb? That is, in english from a player's perspective.

Are you all out there using coated or uncoated strings? I've never used any of the coated strings before. I'm usually too cheap.

Andy

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  4:13:55 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Andy,

I can't answer your question
But ...
I've heard of a few really good players who used coated strings (Elixirs) and they swear by them, also saying that due to the coating they last longer, and thus are not in fact more expensive because they don't have to change strings near as often.

I've also heard that after a while the coating starts to fray and flake off. Don't know how bothersome this might be.

Reid and I are really happy with John Pearse strings, and we've found that GHS ones are also really good on certain guitars. Seems to me like one just has to try strings, because the nature of an individual guitar's sound is part of the equation.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  4:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Nanowebs have a finer coating. This gives the strings more output, but it slightly reduces the longevity. I've used both (poly and nono) on my RainSong, and I prefer the Nanowebs. I don't get as much tone out of the Polys. I like the coated strings better than the John Pearse. I know that D'addario makes coated strings also (I think the EXP models), and I'd like to know what others think of them. I liked, and always used, D'Addarios on my electric guitar and I used them on my Taylor acoustic until I found the John Pearse models, and then the Elixirs. I heard that Dean Markley was selling a coated string, but I haven't seen them.
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  4:57:57 PM  Show Profile
The nanowebs have a thinner coating giving you a feel more like a uncoated string, but the longevity of their original polywebs.

The Taylor I just bought came with the Nanowebs so I got to try them and they sound good, but only having played with uncoated strings to this point, they feel different. Not sure if it is good different or bad, just different. I am also not sure if having been tuned for a few months at standard made a difference once I tuned it down to taro patch. I spoke to the guys at taylor and the tech I spoke to explained that they shipped all of their guitars with the elixers because of the longevity so that a potential customer does not test drive with dead strings. Seems like a strategic selling policy more than anything else and in no way did I get the impression that they promoted the elixers as the best strings to put on their guitars. The tech actually suggested that I try DR strings after asking what kind of music I would would be playing, which I will be installing tonight. I will also be trying the John Pearse, GHS and Diaddarios to see which ones I like best.

The shop I bought the guitar from gave me some good advise by suggesting that I write the date that I change the strings on the package and how I liked them.

It also seems that different strings would play differently on different guitars. I would say try them and a few others. They may cost twice as much as a uncoated string, but if you like them and they last 3-5 times longer you made up for the extra cost.

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  5:53:23 PM  Show Profile
It seem like we went over this before. However, I get decent tone from polywebs and they make playing slides MUCH easier. They also squeak a lot less.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  6:06:25 PM  Show Profile
What do people do with their used strings. Can they be recycled or does one just throw them away.
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  10:26:42 PM  Show Profile
Personally, didn't/don't like the Polys; but recently tried out the Nanos (still strung on my 0-sized guitar) and like them a lot better.

However--again, a highly personal and subjective opinion--I prefer the feel and sound of uncoated strings: I use GHS (light gauge, with a medium-guage high D on my taro-patch/drop-C guitar [000-size], and medium-guage 2nd string [A] on my C6 guitar [dread]).

I also like the feel/sound of really old strings, perhaps as a result of being chronically destitute, and tend to use them for at least 6 months. Of course, I try to keep them as clean (corrosion-free) as possible, and occasionally treat them with a really light application of GHS "Fast Fret." As such, when I'm pau with them, they're really pau.

-dean
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  01:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by cdyas

What do people do with their used strings. Can they be recycled or does one just throw them away.

I think Guitar Center will take them...they use them to string their demo guitars. Just kidding...I toss mine, although if you're much more creative than I am you could use them to create some really cool abstract art pieces that wealthy wanna-be musicians would pay a fortune for.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  03:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
Can't resist... love Elixirs... as working musicians... playing every day for hours... they haven't been beat. Much easier on the hands and fingertips and fingernails (for sandy anyway... doug uses fingerpicks). Quiet on the slides.

And for finances... they last and keep their tone much longer than regular strings... prior to these little gems, we would go through minimum one set of strings per day... and depending on the weather (Kona winds phooey) or number of gigs, could be more. Run the numbers... it's a BIG difference.

I've seen Doug go a month with the same set of strings (might have to change top two that are uncoated)... and this never, ever happened in the 25+ years we've been together.

They do eventually start to fray... especially G string... and especially with picks... but given all the advantages... not a problem.

They make them for nylon/classical too... I want to try for the ukulele.

A hui hou!
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

konavet
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  12:29:54 AM  Show Profile
I never used the coated strings 'til I moved to Hawaii. In this climate, they're a godsend. This climate oxidizes and corrodes strings faster than one can break them in. The coated strings never seem to have that "new" sound, but that doesn't last long anyway. They seem to keep a good "almost new" sound for an incedibly long time. Yes, they do eventually shred, but for fingerpickers they last a long time. And they're easier on the fingers and reduce string noise, as many have said. If I was recording, I would probably throw on a set of regular phos/bronze, but for everthing else, give me Elixirs or EXPs.

Dr. Pat
Go to Top of Page

kamalu70
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  4:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Send kamalu70 a Yahoo! Message
I've tried Polywebs...they sounded kinda dead to me, and they do peel...like the skin off the back of a Waikiki tourist. Tried the coated D'Addarios, they seemed very rough to the touch, was hard on my fingers, and the coating almost seemed to attract moisture - especially on the unwound strings, turning them black fairly quickly. Heard some good things about John Pearse strings but never tried them. I always seem to come back to my old standby - D'Addario Phosphour Bronze in the evironmental pack. Been using 'em for almost 30 years with never a dead string out of the package. The strings come in a sealed plastic bag into which some kind of gas has been injected to prevent premature corrosion. In Hawaii, I've found that when buying any kind of new strings that come in those paper envelopes, often times they are starting to corrode on the shelf in the store. With the D'Addarios, I can buy in bulk, save some $$$ and have them sitting in my house for over a year with no adverse effect. String noise? Yeah there is string noise depending on the condition of my calluses, but I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. Maybe I'm just old school, but to me there ain't no sound that can compare with a new set of uncoated strings, and the finger noise?....that's just gravy.

play on,
kamalu
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  2:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll have to try a set at some point to decide for myself.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000