Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Papa's Old Koa Guitar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  6:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
I was thinking about chia's reference to the host culture and it got me thinking. Somehow I thought of this story by Uncle Charlie Maxwell. Uncle Charlie is a wonderful man, very involved in human rights and cultural issues. But this story is a good one, as is Kevin Brown's from a while ago. Kevin's story was very touching, punctuated by wonderful comments from taropatch ohana, and also his son. Think I'll bump that one back up to the top ... what a thread to be read by those who might have missed it. Well here's the link:

http://www.moolelo.com/guitar.html

Imagine as a child listening to Lena Machado, John Almeda, and Joe Keawe performing in your home. What a lucky man.

After you check out the link you might want to "ho'iho'i" back to his main page and check out his other stories and articles. It's good to be reminded of the host culture, and seems like it belongs here.

aloha

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  6:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  11:52:21 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo David,

I had thought that Uncle Charlie was "off the air", but it is good to see that he is still on (or back on) the web. When Sarah and I went to Maui for the second time, I asked Uncle Charlie where we could find somebody who could tell us about slack key and he suggested Uncle Sol Kawaihoa at the Bailey House. After we had met Uncle Sol (and Kevin and Bill and Henry Meyer), Uncle Sol asked us how we had found out about him. Whn we told him that it was Uncle Charlie, Uncle Sol said "That's my `ohana!" He then launched into a series of stories about growing up on Upcountry farms that were interesting and *funny*. And, Henry, who lives in Kula, added some too. Makes me wish we were around then, when folks had lots of fun with very little in the way of material goods. All you need is a guitar... (And ono grinds...)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  11:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Aloha Reid,

You told a great story. It sounds like you and Sarah found some wonderful people, and hearing the upcountry stories ... what a very special thing to take home. Kula is a magical place, and the people are wonderful. In my collection I have an old and brittle ti leaf lei made for me by a lady there ages ago. I hadn't known her long at all, and the gift surprised me. She said "you deserve an ali'i lei" .. so cute her. I'll keep this one forever and always think of her, the aloha and Kula. And Uncle Sol has those sparkling eyes that I've seen there!! Oh, and guitar and ono grinds sounds good to me!!!

aloha
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000