Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Favorite strings for slack key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  6:01:29 PM  Show Profile
I'll soon be finished my Beamer style guitar based on the Martin 000 plan. It will be short scale (24.9"). I'm curious to know what your favorite strings are for slack key especially if you have a short scale.

Rich Smith

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  7:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Depends on so many variables that just naming a brand or gauge or alloy doesn't mean much. I play a half-dozen different guitars with some regularity, and there's no easy way of predicting which strings will work with any given instrument beyond recognizing that, say, my 1920 Martin really should have light ones and my Goodall Standard and Guild D-40 can take mediums (though I string both lighter to save my hands). On the whole I favor phosphor bronze, and I haven't noticed a lot of difference across the major brands (I tend toward GHS, D'Addario, and John Pearse but have used other brands when they're cheap). For my light-built instruments, I like silk & bronze lights (49-11, GHS or Pearse), and on the Martin it's Argentine extra lights (solid-core copper-wrapped, designed for Maccaferri-style guitars). But for sound and playability, you're best off experimenting--the guitar, your ears, and your hands will tell you what works.
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  8:24:39 PM  Show Profile
Russell Letson's caveats are wise and thorough. On my '20 0-18K[always left in C wahine] it's a different deal, but on my '50 000-28 it's D'Add mediums with an .059 big E substituted for the stock .056 one [that's reserved for gtrs that need lights, so I can bump up the big E by "one guage" there too]. The .059 holds well for me down to C, remainder of "std" med set seems to accept the ups and downs of most common "slack" tunings on the gtr in question. My version of Russell's wise words is:
"it's always individual to the guitar-in-hand and the hands-ears on the guitar".
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  04:09:51 AM  Show Profile
A Grimes? I would ask the Luthier for an opinion on that one.
String noise is an important diff between strings and
I'll bet that your Grimes is going to like using quiet strings.

Some have larger diameter wrap and smaller core, and others are smaller wrap with larger core. Not sure what really causes it but you will find a diff in finger noise and squeaks. Reject the noisy ones.

If noise does not bother you, try strings that have a lot of variations like from Martin or GHS. They both have selections from very bright to mellow.

I have tried many many other strings but always go back to Elixir Nano Webs.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  05:19:53 AM  Show Profile
Was a neat show on Discovery Channel "How Its Made" showing how wound strings are made. Very interesting, and surprises me that strings don't cost more than they do, what with all the technology going into making them.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  10:40:41 AM  Show Profile
Rich, I use D'Addario light phosphor bronze. I've found that individual body chemistry can affect strings. Back in my Bluegrass days, I knew a guy that liked the d'Addario "Reds", with a larger amount of copper. They really lasted for him. He had the chemistry that if he touched your guitar, the strings went dead. I do the same to nickel wound strings. One tune and they're dead. Homework is required.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000