Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Favorite strings for slack key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  4:57:16 PM  Show Profile
I'll soon be finished my Beamer style guitar based on the Martin 000 plan. It will be short scale (24.9"). I'm curious to know what your favorite strings are for slack key especially if you have a short scale.

I´m reposting this cause I posted it in the wrong section a few days ago.

Rich Smith

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  10:04:56 PM  Show Profile
I use Elixir lights nano web. Sometimes I also use Thomastic-Infeld lights as well. Somebody just gave me a set of Pearse Slack Key strings. The gauges are light except for the High E , Low E and A which are a little bigger so when they are tuned down they have more mass to present a better tone. I like the Elixirs for longer string life but I like the tone of the Thomastiks.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  05:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Got some feedback from Martin guitar forum. Some use Pearse mediums and some D'Addario mediums with [.059-.060] for the big E. I am curious about the Pearse Slack Key set.

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
521 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  08:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
As part of a workshop at the 2006 AMC, primo luthier Dennis Lake gave each attendee of a set of the Pearse slack-key strings. They had medium gauge bass strings - because you tend to tune those down for ki ho'alu -- and standard light treble strings. I liked them for both tone and playability. The heavier string seems to drive the bass harder, producing more tone. A true medium set leaves the treble strings with a fairly hard feel. The lower overall tension of taro patch is almost equal to the tension of standard tuning with light gauge strings. (On certain guitars I use mediums for standard tuning down one step, or D-D, and it gives roughly the same tension).

You can get the same thing with most brands by getting the "bluegrass" set. Same basic concept. Bluegrassers want a lot of bass when they flatpick, so they use heavier gauges on the three bass strings.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  09:01:10 AM  Show Profile
I used to use John Pearse strings when I did bluegrass flatpicking. They were great for that application. However, since I started playing slack key, I switched to Elixir polywebs. I couldn't abide the squeaks with the Pearse's. I don't like the nanowebs as much as the polywebs.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  10:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I switched out to Mediums for slack key and feel they give a more rounded sound. Usually nanos or polys. For the short scale, I would definitely use mediums. Made a big difference on my short scale Martin. Slack key = less tension on the guitar so mediums should be safe - as they require more tension - for most guitars in slack key tuning. You'll notice a little better quality bass and a little more sustain.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000