Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Software for tabbing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Joel
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  5:43:32 PM  Show Profile
Whats a good free or low cost program for writing tabs?
Got too many notes in my head, gotta write em down.

Joel

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  5:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Check in the "Search" link. This has been covered a few times before. I happen to like G7.

dog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  06:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The only free tool I know of is Power Tab: http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php
I use Tabledit which is $60: http://www.tabledit.com/index.shtml

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  07:18:25 AM  Show Profile
I have G7 as well. Good tool. I even create wav then mp3 files to hear how it is written -- kinda dry and unemotional :-)

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  08:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Tabledit for me too.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  04:00:38 AM  Show Profile
I have heard that G7 is a good one.
Take a look at UltimateGuitar.com or other free tab sites thought. They offer lots of tabs for Power Tab, Guitar Pro, and a few others. I bought Guitar pro ($70)a year ago and it looks to be the second most popular on these sites.
Most tab software will convert to all the other types but if you buy one that is used more frequently on free tab sites, then you get more to work with when you download them. If you don't already know, these free tab sites have tons of music. UltimateGuitar.com for instance looks like a rock/metal only site but if you search for classical or jazz, you would be amazed at the selection.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  05:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The latest version of Guitar Pro looks pretty good...they seem to have fixed a lot of the shortcomings that turned me away from it when I last looked at it. Most of the apps will import files from the others, so tab format shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 05/08/2008 05:17:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

karlow34
Aloha

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  08:57:15 AM  Show Profile
TuxGuitar is free, although I haven't seen how easy it is to change the key.

http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/download.html

Karlow
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  09:44:10 AM  Show Profile
There is a program I have been using called Musedit from Yowsa Software in Berkely. It is a pretty comprehensive music writing/editing package. It is very easy to set up different tunings and it will make automatic transpositions if you have the notes. It writes either in notes or in tab and translates one from the other. Not terribly expensive. Available at www.yowsasoftware.com.
Disclaimer--I have no connection to this company, nor have I received any compensation from them to advertize. I have just used it for about 5 years.
Aloha,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  11:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The correct link for Musedit is http://www.musedit.com

Craig
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  5:33:48 PM  Show Profile
I've used Musedit for a number of years and find it a good and useful tool. Easy to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  07:34:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the correction to the weblink. I pulled my link from an older email from the owner about a new update. Sorry 'bout dat!
Allen
Go to Top of Page

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  09:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage
I've started looking at these programs as I have tons of music for keyboard that would work well into slack key.

MusEdit is hard on the eyes as these eyes are not as young anymore. I am trying to connect the midi to my system to be able to input from the electric key board side, well gee, it is almost like one needs a class on setting everything up to execute. The Roland MX7 uses a floppy disc that one can move the midi file to computer, but the computer I am on does not have a floppy drive. So now the issue is to go back a generation of computer systems to find a portable floppy drive to input the midi file to my Vista system that is using XP on a seperate USB 2.0 universal drive adapter. This appears to be the easiest set up to go to at this point and try to use MusEdit.

I have not bought any system and am on their trial program. Over the weekend I spent seveal hours working on inputing a piece with the MusEdit trial version. Beware, don;t get too complicarted if you try it, it will frustrate the heck out of you due to its small memory size. It works well, but inputing as mentioned prior with the small widnow in the trial program is difficult to do. Those who have the offical version, does the staff lines get larger so you can see easily where the cursor is at? I tried the keyboard but the trial version is limited for what type of notes can be inputed from the trial version. I would believe that is overcome in the paid for version.

Basically, if you trial version MuseEdit, don;t plan on trying anything of more than perhaps a few bars if your inputing bass and melody.

When I went to get the Roland/ Edirol drive and cords the guy at Easy Music in Pearl City showed me Sibelius (G7 is another version) and said all you have to do is scan your sheet music, the program can read the scan and transition it to tab and what ever tuning. So I thought and said wow thats great and the big question how much?? 6 dead presidnets!! I was like what??? He said it is the top of the line for programs, can do this, that, blah, blah, blah.....and I am thinking 6 dead presidents? Since I do play with/without sheet music and am often inventing songs both on the guitar and piano, I can understand the reason for the need of a lot of features, such as midi input. But for 6 dead presidents and for something that will be used as non professional it is hard to justify.

Anyone know of a version of program for less $ that one can scan and then convert to tab with th efeature of midi input too? Anything out there that connects to the input of an amp system that can pick up the signal to tab to as well?

Music and Ridin'
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  11:13:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RichM

I've started looking at these programs as I have tons of music for keyboard that would work well into slack key.

MusEdit is hard on the eyes as these eyes are not as young anymore. I am trying to connect the midi to my system to be able to input from the electric key board side, well gee, it is almost like one needs a class on setting everything up to execute. The Roland MX7 uses a floppy disc that one can move the midi file to computer, but the computer I am on does not have a floppy drive. So now the issue is to go back a generation of computer systems to find a portable floppy drive to input the midi file to my Vista system that is using XP on a seperate USB 2.0 universal drive adapter. This appears to be the easiest set up to go to at this point and try to use MusEdit.

I have not bought any system and am on their trial program. Over the weekend I spent seveal hours working on inputing a piece with the MusEdit trial version. Beware, don;t get too complicarted if you try it, it will frustrate the heck out of you due to its small memory size. It works well, but inputing as mentioned prior with the small widnow in the trial program is difficult to do. Those who have the offical version, does the staff lines get larger so you can see easily where the cursor is at? I tried the keyboard but the trial version is limited for what type of notes can be inputed from the trial version. I would believe that is overcome in the paid for version.

Basically, if you trial version MuseEdit, don;t plan on trying anything of more than perhaps a few bars if your inputing bass and melody.

When I went to get the Roland/ Edirol drive and cords the guy at Easy Music in Pearl City showed me Sibelius (G7 is another version) and said all you have to do is scan your sheet music, the program can read the scan and transition it to tab and what ever tuning. So I thought and said wow thats great and the big question how much?? 6 dead presidnets!! I was like what??? He said it is the top of the line for programs, can do this, that, blah, blah, blah.....and I am thinking 6 dead presidents? Since I do play with/without sheet music and am often inventing songs both on the guitar and piano, I can understand the reason for the need of a lot of features, such as midi input. But for 6 dead presidents and for something that will be used as non professional it is hard to justify.

Anyone know of a version of program for less $ that one can scan and then convert to tab with th efeature of midi input too? Anything out there that connects to the input of an amp system that can pick up the signal to tab to as well?

I've been using Finale for several years. It does a lot, but it is pretty expensive and cumbersome. Musedit looks like it does everything that Finale does for a whole lot less dough. What is the "easy on eyes" problem? Anyone able to compare the two?

keaka
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  11:46:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RichM

The Roland MX7 uses a floppy disc that one can move the midi file to computer, but the computer I am on does not have a floppy drive.
You could use an inexpensive external USB floppy drive. I have one that works just fine on my floppy driveless system.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  12:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
But for 6 dead presidents and for something that will be used as non professional it is hard to justify.

I suppose that would depend on the president. A half dozen Washingtons doesn't sound all that bad. And weren't they going to put Reagan on a penny?

"Well, I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent
Ev'rybody loves those dead presidents..."

Where's Willie Dixon now that we need him?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000