Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 SF Bay Area Event
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  02:47:55 AM  Show Profile
FYI - I've been asked by our South Bay Guitar Society to do an evening workshop on Slack Key -- Will be Sat eve May 10. Three parts: 1) Intro to the art form and looking at different styles (use of recorded excerpts and VCR tapes) 2) Short "recital" - probably 2 or 3 songs by others in my arrangements and I might play for first time in public a 4 song "suite" I wrote. 3) Hands on workshop -- intro to taro patch fretboard layout, 2 or 3 TABS. This will be mostly an introductory level, but I hope it will be enjoyable and informative. (Bay area people - you know the "Bay Area May Day" fete in also May 10 at the PLeasanton Fairgrounds - not to be missed.)
Raymond Stovich
San Jose

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  11:58:59 PM  Show Profile

Aloha Raymond - sounds like you've put together a great program, thanks for sharing.
Ummm, I've lived in the Bay Area just forever, and don't know a thing about the May Day Fete <blush> can you say more? Mahalo.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  02:15:22 AM  Show Profile
May Day is lots of fun. No Cal Kumu Hula Assn. puts on a great show at the Pleasanton Fairgrounds. Typically there about a half dozen or so halau each doing a few numbers. I've seen some very impressive, beautiful and moving hula there. Kahiko and 'Auwana, groups, not much solo on this day. In between, there are performances by local Hawaiian style musicians and groups. Add to that the usual selection of vendors and the food section -- usually local groups selling home made stuff -- had some incredible poke last time. It's a great place to hang out, and soak up some "culture." You pay for parking and a couple of bucks to get in. Makes it a little cheaper than flying to Hawai'i, but not quite as nice.
By the way, if you don't know about it, the Assn. sponsors a two day contest in the fall. Each year the halau are getting better and better. Last year some of the performances matched the quality we saw at Merry Monarch the spring before.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  02:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Raymond, thanks for the info. I go in the fall but did not know about the May date. I hope to go then. Cathe, if you're there, we should meet over a plate of laulau or something like that! Yum! Julie
Go to Top of Page

Crotalus
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  01:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Crotalus's Homepage
I think the May one is usually free but you pay for the Fall entrance to watch because it's a competition.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000