Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Kope - Good to da lass drop
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  01:52:51 AM  Show Profile
We jus got some Moloka`i kope. Mighty fine! Maybe bettah dan Kona kine.

And got da lilikoi jelly. Mmmm. And da Maui shuggah. I tought it might be good fo making Christmas cookes (yes I am making cookies and breaking all my diet plans -- its Christmas and I am making up fo last year).

Has anyone had Kona peaberry? Is there a difference in taste from the peaberry and the regular kine Kona? It is way expensive, but some times might be fun to splurge if there is a discernable difference.

As Paul says, "life is too short to drink bad coffee."

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  06:45:52 AM  Show Profile
Our trip to Hawaii Island two years ago ruined me for anything other than 100% Kona coffee. I drink a large mug a day and each time I grind the beans I think back on our visit. It is sooooo good! I get my coffee shipped to me from the small coffee farm that we stayed at in Captain Cooke.

We did go coffee tasting at a larger coffee farm just down the road, and we did sample the "peaberry". I didn't like it as much as others, but to each their own. The thing to make sure of is to get 100% Kona. Kona Blends are a joke, and in no way taste like the real thing. It's definitely worth paying the extra to get 100% Kona.

Here is the link for the place I get my coffee. It's a great place to stay when visiting Hawaii Island.

http://www.killino.com/coffee.html

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 11/30/2008 08:16:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  08:32:57 AM  Show Profile
We get our coffee from Maui Coffee Roasters. I have a regular every other month shipment of enugh coffee to last until the next drop shipment. We get the Maui cofee, but have also bought their 100% Kona. Matter of fact, I bought bags of it for Christmas gifts for Paul's mother and my daughter's boyfriend (I HOPE he gives her a ring for Christmas).

Next question - what is the thing about Maui potato chips? I've seen where you can buy like a whole case of them at a time. Are they significantly better than regular old potato chips? Also, what about Maui onions? Are they like Vidalias or WallaWallas?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  09:05:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Next question - what is the thing about Maui potato chips? I've seen where you can buy like a whole case of them at a time. Are they significantly better than regular old potato chips? Also, what about Maui onions? Are they like Vidalias or WallaWallas?
Well, there is a popular brand of "Hawaiian" potato chips that are made up here in the Seattle area, by the folks that created Tim's Potato Chips - thicker cut style - so while they are delicious, don't be fooled into thinking they are from Hawai`i.

Yes - Maui sweet onions are similar to Vidalias and Walla Walla sweets, as well as several other American "sweet" varieties. (Walla Wallas are Corsican in origin.)
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  09:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Shirley and I ran a bakery for years in Nederland, Colorado. Every time we came to Kona, we would drag an 80# bag of coffee beans back with us. The guys from the Nederland volunteer fire department were so upset because the cheap coffee at the gas station next door no longer did it for them...

In a cruel twist of fate, now that I live in the heart of Kona coffee country (Holualoa), I have my very own coffee tree. But drinking coffee gives me severe headaches, so I end up giving away all my coffee to visiting friends.

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  09:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
But drinking coffee gives me severe headaches, so I end up giving away all my coffee to visiting friends.

Gee, Bob... can't wait to visit.

Wanda, I share your love of Moloka`i coffee. And, Bob's personal coffee tree notwithstanding, I, too, prefer it to Kona coffee.

If you really want to go all out, check out Chef Elmer Guzman's Poke Kits:
http://store.elmerguzman.com/

All I want for Christmas is some ahi poke, some ahi poke....some ahi poke.

Edited by - Mark on 11/30/2008 11:53:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  09:49:31 AM  Show Profile
Gee whiz Mark, did you have to give us that link for Poke? How can you be so cruel. I'll be dreaming about tuna all night.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  04:49:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
For me it is the Tako Poke and I to love the Moloka'i Coffee but when in Kona drink Kona. And when on Kauai I drink Kauai ect gotta support the local economy! Actually Thanksgiving evening The Bizare Foods Guy on the travel Channel Andrew Zimern did a show from Hawaii not sure when it was taped but he showed a farm in Maui that raised Maui Onions they are beautiful. The farmer said that the Volcanic dirt ect keep them from developing the sulfuric compounds that other onions have. I know that Vidailas can not be grow anywhere other than Vidalia Georgia and still be that sweet guess it would be the same with Maui Onions. It is all in the soil. By the way I thought it was really funny when rather than let Andrew taste fresh Poi that they were making they gave him fermented Sour Poi now that must be an AQUIRED Taste for sure. I have grown to enjoy the fresh Poi but hmm not sure how I would do on the other?

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  09:26:40 AM  Show Profile
I wonder how the volcanic dirt can keep the onions from developing the sulfur compounds because on Big Island when we went Kilauea, there is plenty sulfur just laying on top da lava, places where you can just see open, emplty lava with sulfur on top far as your eyes can see.

That's whyonions and garlic are both natural antibiotics. Sulfa-drugs, you know.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  09:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Oh Duke PLEASE I will eat your portion of Opihi ANYTIME! Did not know how much I loved them till Music Camp local boys even got me to eat them with Poi. WHY it just covers up the flavor of the Opihi. But then I guess they are not far removed from Raw Clams and when we were in College we made money catching clams and many times Lunch was Raw Clams while working. Poi is OK I just think some people like to make a big Fuss about foods. I can eat most things vegetable and from the Ocean. Now Meat is another story. The Wild Boar hunt and dinner afterwards well I would rather pass on that thanks. Grew up on the farm and no longer wish to have to eat the lets say "stuff". Thank GOD Hawaiians no eat Scrapple and Head Cheese! Or maybe you do and just have another name for it.

As far as the Maui Onion goes this is what I found "Maui onions are grown in Kula on the slopes of Haleakala, where the altitude is high (about 3,500 feet above sea level), temperatures are cool, and the soil is rich and low in sulfur. This combination produces onions with less sulphur and more water than regular onions. "Maui" and "Kula" onions are trademarks owned by the Maui Onion Growers Association.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000