Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Sad News about Aloha Music Camp
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  08:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
No worries, Allen. Someone would have posted it sooner or later. As I said, we do not wish to make a general announcement at this time; but we will be doing so soon.

quote:
perhaps we can convince Puget Sound Guitar Workshop to run a Slack-key track at their summer camps? Mark, have you considered that?

PSGW is a wonderful camp-- and I have been trying to convince them to hire someone to teach slack key for about ten years. I believe one year they did so.

At any rate.... sure Rich (et al), pester 'em at PSGW. If enough people do so maybe they'll get on the stick. I suddenly find myself free this summer....

FYI: There are several North American camps w/ slack & Hawaiian music already: Lark Camp has the most developed program, w/ Kevin Brown, Robyn Kneubuhl and me, plus there's a great local scene to jam with and a big luau to end the week in Caspar.

California Coast Music Camp has had ukulele and singing w/ Michele Kiba; and Patrick Lendeza has often taught at Swannanoa and/or Augusta on the East side. I'm sure there will be some more-- many camps are just now announcing their staff.

Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  09:05:48 AM  Show Profile
Mark, consider it done. I cc'd you on my email to PSGW.

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  09:49:22 AM  Show Profile
All you slackers in the NW interested in a slack key track at PSGW contact Flip at info @ PSGW.com.

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  10:42:40 AM  Show Profile
Mark, got an email from Peter Langston requesting you contact him to explore the possibilities at PSGW. I've sent you his email.

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  12:29:57 PM  Show Profile
The latest flier from The Swannanoa Gathering came last week, and Patrick Landeza will be returning. As will the "now traditional Saturday Luau, hosted by Patrick Landeza." Look for Guitar week on the web site. It won't be a Hawaiian music only event, as most traditional styles of guitar playing will be represented. But a contingent of Aloha-laden musicians with Hawai`i in their hearts can make nearly anyplace better. http://www.swangathering.org/
I haven't heard from The Augusta Heritage Workshops yet, but details should be out soon.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  2:34:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rich_Smith

All you slackers in the NW interested in a slack key track at PSGW contact Flip at info @ PSGW.com.

Thumbstuck, Noeau & me have gone to PSGW Winter Retreat over President's Weekend in Feb, and we're going again (unless Noeau is in Hawaii). We play Hawaiian music almost all weekend, and there is a growing attraction for it. I'll also put in a good word to Flip Breskin, who runs the camp. Mark - if you're around then, you ought to come, too. It's a jam camp - no lessons, just good food, good pickin' & good eats!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  5:15:48 PM  Show Profile
So where can I find out more about PSGW? Puget Sound, right?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  8:00:46 PM  Show Profile
PSGW.com

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  03:49:44 AM  Show Profile
Puget Sound is an amazing camp. I went there before discovering Aloha Music Camp. They run three one week sessions, and if they want to put in a slack key class, they should put it in the week where James Hill is teaching 'ukulele there! The year I went, I jammed all Hawaiian with James Hill and we had a blast.

Puget Sound is a beautifully run camp in the woods of the Pacific Northwest. They have great classes, great people, tons of jamming, and the price is really reasonable. The only reason I stopped going was that I discovered AMC.

I will email Flip too. I was in the cabin next to her last time and used to play slack key on the porch, which she liked.

Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  03:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
OH NO I am in a state of shock. My savings account for next years camp will continue in the hope that the economy will improve and the camp will happen again. I will at least go down in Feb and say Aloha. Only wish I was able to attend in FEB.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

Edited by - NANI on 12/10/2008 04:00:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  04:36:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Julie H

So where can I find out more about PSGW? Puget Sound, right?

Julie

http://www.langston.com/PSGW/

is a start.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  04:36:54 AM  Show Profile
I was just about to send in my deposit for June AMC when I got the letter. The letter made me so sad. Camp with the Beamers, Kevin Brown, Mark Nelson and all the others was the highlight of my life. I can't go to the February camp, because I am a single mom and can only attend camp myself in the summer,when my kids are in their own sleepaway camp. I know others are in a similar boat regarding February - teachers, for example, could only attend the June AMC, when school is out for the summer.

I know it must have been a wrenching decision to make for Keola and Mark. I fervently hope AMC can rise again when conditions improve. And when they do, I will be first in line to sign up.

Although PSGW is lovely, and I have been very tempted by the week at Lark, Aloha Music Camp remains the pinnacle for me.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  11:05:09 PM  Show Profile
Claudia,

If you're thinking of going to Lark, I will be there. This is absolutely the one camp I won't miss. It is within driving distance of my home. (Well, 7 hours or so.) Not only does the place hold special memories for me, it is the one camp where I can try all kinds of genres. There is music day and night. Swing, Jazz, Hawaiian, Mexican, etc. One night last year there was a Tuba Jam at 3:00 AM! Right outside our RV! OUCH!

It is so much fun. We sit around the campfire long after most folks have gone to bed, and suddenly a jam breaks out, and the whole camp rings with the sound of music and laughter.

Julie

PS. But of course, I really love AMC and as long as there is the possibility of a continuation in the future, I will be there!

Edited by - Julie H on 12/11/2008 9:48:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  08:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by NANI

OH NO I am in a state of shock. My savings account for next years camp will continue in the hope that the economy will improve and the camp will happen again. I will at least go down in Feb and say Aloha. Only wish I was able to attend in FEB.

Likewise! And unfortunately, I will be on Moku O Keawe starting on the last day of the camp... aloha no!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000