Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Music on maui over Christmas
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  9:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
I have some friends visiting Maui from Dec. 19 thru Dec. 30. ANyone know of hawaiian music events over that time period. They will be staying in Lahaina. Thanks

Karl
Frozen North

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  06:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Karl, it's zero down here. Wouldn't Maui be nice? How are things in North Pole, Alaska?

Jesse

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  09:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
21 below this morning, mi amigo. Chickadees, redpolls, gray jays, pine grosbeaks and hairy woodpeckers at the feeder, no moose in sight, Susan's dogs curled up around the wood stove. Sun's just coming up at 11 am, four inches new snow last night has everything draped in fluffy white; of course, that's the way this place looks from November thru April anyway, but new snow always is prettier than old.
I have hooked up with a gaggle of hawaiians from Oahu that live here and play music weekly. What fun! Have played a wedding, a luau, an office Xmas party with them, plus a few little gigs on my own.
I was thinking of draggin out the computer today and recording some stuff on garageband again. Maybe even a youtube excursion; your videos are great, Jesse.
I retired from vet medicine in August, 2006. I have been making some guitars and now ukuleles; each of my hawaiian buddies want one of the ukes, and my son visited for Thanksgiving and played mine the whole time, so i am building one for him for Christmas, too.
Keep up those great videos on youtube. and, why don;t you do a "real" recording??? You have a rapt audience on TPnet, that's for sure.
Aloha

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  3:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Hey Karl

We just got our first load of snow in NE California and we're supposed to have a low of 6 degrees tonight. Nothing like North Pole, or my days in Finland, but very pretty.

I'm envious of the music opportunities you have up there. A couple of orders of magnitude more than I can scrounge up around here. Although I did play for the local high school physics club dinner about a month ago. Very interesting experience.

I would love to here and see more of your music, BTW. You were threatening to send me some a long time ago. I've been working on a lot of stuff that I have wanted to record, but not done it quite yet.

Stay warm.

Aloha

Footnote: it is now 0800 the morning after I originally posted this and the temp is -5 degrees! A new high in low in my time here.

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!

Edited by - JeffC on 12/17/2008 06:14:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  3:42:46 PM  Show Profile
http://www.slackkey.com/schedule.htm

December 23rd, Kevin Brown w/GK.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  3:50:07 PM  Show Profile
Just got this one from Eric Gilliom:

Dec 20
WAILEA NIGHTS
Barry Flanagan & Eric Gilliom
Capische Restaurant - Wailea
7pm
Dinner concert - $100 pp
Reservations required - call 808-879-2224

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  12:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Mahalo everyone, they leave tonight with the information above.

Jeff, I guess i will have to record something and send it down. Been thinking of doing that recently anyway. And, i have to cash in the $300 recording studio gift certificate my wife and daughter (that's two different people, by the way) gave me for fathers day last year

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  3:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Back to the original query:

The Hula Honeys play every Monday nite in Haiku-- you may remember Robyn from the Aloha Camp. Her musical partner Ginger is the spice to Robyn's sugar-- I love the band!

I don't know Kevin Brown's schedule with Ola Hou, but they are not to be missed.

Stay warm!
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  10:09:55 AM  Show Profile
Eh, Karl! Good that you're jamming and building! How're da "nu ni's" doing?
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  11:35:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Back to the original query:

The Hula Honeys play every Monday nite in Haiku-- you may remember Robyn from the Aloha Camp. Her musical partner Ginger is the spice to Robyn's sugar-- I love the band!

I don't know Kevin Brown's schedule with Ola Hou, but they are not to be missed.

Stay warm!

Re-Jacking the thread!

Karl! Just what is a hairy woodpecker?

Curious minds want to know.

Stay warm
Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  11:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Maybe Kealani Kitaguchi and her group of Keiki Hula will do Christmas hulas through Christmas Day? Kealani's website doesn't exist anymore, but I remember this from it:

Lahaina Cannery Mall

First, third, and fifth Tuesday at 7:00 PM
Second Thursday at 7:00 PM
First, third, and fifth Saturday at 1:00 PM
Second Sunday at 1:00 PM

And I know they do shows at the Hale Kahiko but can't remember the days and times. Please send her an e-mail and tell her that 'Alika from Maine sent you.

hulagirlsmaui @ yahoo.com

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Edited by - alika207 on 12/21/2008 11:56:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  10:02:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Thumbs,
Da nu nis is doin great. Back to the handball couirt within 3 months of the operation, can do anything I want, except play a rugby game with my son, something I always hoped I could do. But, I can still ref his games and penalize the littlle bugger at every chance.

Piff,
A hairy woodpecker is a curious bird, approximately the size of a small donkey. A large, flightless bird (good thing, eh? "look up in the sky, it's a bird, its a plane, uh,oh, what's it doing???........aaaaahhhhhggggggg!!!!!) it has no need for feathers, and since it lives only in the coldest northern regions, carries a thick coat of fur, which, due to its length, often conceals the hammer, chisel, auger and spoon it often carries to dig bugs out of spruce trees...oh, did i tell you it has no beak, like a normal woodpecker? Weird stoke of bad evolutionary luck, that, but god gave him a brain, so he uses old fashioned hand tools.
For a better description of this anomoly of nature, check out the book "A Field Guide To Little-Known and Seldom-Seen Birds of North America" which includes such other delights as the Warbling Cormorant, the Southern Snake Strangler, Middle and Least Yellowlegs, Long-Range Target Duck, the Auger-Billed Clamsucker, Spoon-Billed Hummingbird, the Least Minitwit, Military Warbler, Greater Wandering Vagrant, and of course, the Eastern Narrow Sparrow

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  2:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Inquiring minds want (need) to know.
Eh, Karl, you coming Seattle sometime?
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  7:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Kory,
Sorry, no plans for immediate future for the NW.
When you and slippery Jack coming up here? I've got 5 jammin' hawaiians up here to play with
Just get here, stay with us; all yo have to do is teach me anew song to play :}

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000