Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 `Ukulele cases
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  2:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone tried the Hohner hardshell cases seen here? Just curious if they're any good.

Andy

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  3:15:39 PM  Show Profile
They look ok. In the pictures, they resemble the case Sandy McMaster uses for her Kamaka 6 string tenor. However the case for the baritone looks like a gig bag in the picture. Maybe Sandy can give us details on her case.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Tim M
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  11:48:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi! My first post here. Thanks for the nice site. I've got a soprano-sized one of those cases. They are light weight and big enough for a Kamaka soprano, and a lot better than a chipboard case for not much more money. To fly, I would still use a Harptone or similar.
TM
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  04:03:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
These look really nice! It is similar to the case I have for my tenor but it looks like the one on the website might be slightly better quality. I've been using this 'similar' case for over a year. It's great... lightweight... and provides good protection... but my case isn't really hardshell. I certainly wouldn't check it as baggage. I checked to see if there were any tags left on mine or in the pocket... unfortunately nada.

I do get caught in the weather here... a lot... and the inner lining has separated from the outer shell a bit on one side... but with the use I give it, it doesn't worry me. Way better protection than a gig bag... and still lightweight... which when you are carrying equipment 7 days a week becomes very important.

Thank you to my husband Doug who found this little gem of a case for me!

Hope this helps a little... I'm tempted to get one from the website even though I can't technically justify it at the moment. If I do, I'll let you know what I think!

A hui hou,
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  04:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
I was fortunate enough at a party this past week to get to see one of these cases. It's nicer than mine (mine's a lookalike)... the outside pocket is more spacious... the materials seem 'tougher'. Same light weight... and nice feeling of your uke being very well protected. I asked what he paid for it and he recalled $49.

When I get ready to spring for the next case... maybe for a new ukulele (dreams do come true)... I'll get one of these on-line.

A hui hou,
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  11:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address
I got one recently to hold the Lanikai Koa concert uke I bought for my son. It is very nice, well made and sturdy. The only problem I noticed is that the zipper bound a little due to the tension of wrapping it around the hard inner case. I expect it will loosen up as it is used.

Jim

Jim Ferguson
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page

enr1co
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  02:23:49 AM  Show Profile
I phone ordered one of the Pro-tec cases from Bounty music Maui last year.
It was actually drop shipped from a distributor in So
Cal and Bounty sold it to me discounted for about $85 including shipping since I purchased my Kamaka tenor from them five years ago.

The pro tec case is really nice- heavy duty zippers with compartments, heavy duty cordura exterior with lots of
interior padding, lightweight and the shoulder strap is
a nice feature.

enrico
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  12:53:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, is the pro tec case strong enough to check it in with your baggage?

Mahalo

Dana

Edited by - Dana on 04/28/2003 12:54:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  1:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I wouldn't do it. What size is your `ukulele? Seems to me a soprano or tenor `ukulele case qualifies as a carry on without a problem and I would want to keep it by my side.

Pro-tec cases are sturdy but it's not like a Calton. I mean, I wouldn't stand on my pro-tec case.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  8:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Is the harptone a good case?
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  8:52:26 PM  Show Profile
The harptone in an excellent case. It is a true arched top hardshell case and gives excellent protection. You should try your ukulele's fit before you buy or get a guarantee of a full refund if it doesn't fit. I got one for my Skip Rapozo tenor from T.T. Ukulele's in Hilo via mail order a couple years ago with such a guarantee.
http://www.ttukuleles.com/

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  9:55:44 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like the harptone it is! Mahalo for the link too!

Dana
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000