Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 No. Calif. Uke Festival 2003
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  11:12:53 PM  Show Profile
April 27, 2003 (Sunday)
10th Annual 'Ukulele Festival of Northern California
Hayward Adult School, 22100 Princeton Street, Hayward
10:30 am - 5:30 pm
Adults - $5; Under 5 Years Old - Free
General Information: Hollis Baker (510) 793-1165
Vendor Information: Makamae Fangonilo (408) 238-7207
Vendor Coordination by P.I.C.A. (http://www.pica-org.org)

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  1:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Will anyone else be attending? Aloha Keleawe, the Hawaiian trio I'm happy to be a part of, will be performing. Our group consists of a vintage National guitar, vintage National Hawaiian steel Guitar played by Gary A, who contributes to this board (and whose playing is the highlight of our set), and me on my Morton tenor resonator uke.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  1:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi john,

hayward is too far of a drive from san diego, auwe. does your band ever make it down to SoCal?

that's a mighty fine resonator ukulele you have on your photo, by the way! i've never heard of a morton, are they contemporary or vintage?

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  1:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hi, Keith,

John Morton is an engineer who builds art grade resonator instruments as a sideline. Eric Schoenberg in Tiburon offers Mortons for sale. Here's a link to another tenor uke:

http://www.om28.com/es/snewguit/moruke.html

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  1:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
fran,

oh, they're beautiful. i'm sure glad that there's a long distance between eric schoenberg and my wallet...

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  7:40:22 PM  Show Profile
Yup, the Mortons are mighty purty. And mighty loud - I've taken to calling mine "Mighty Mo" or "The Mighty Morton."

Fran, are you attending? Are you going to Jumpin' Jim's thing the day before at Gryphon?
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  02:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Aloha John....
I'll lbe attending the 'Uke Festival, as are (I think) Julie and Diana and Lawrence and Cynthia.....yep, you know all those folks, eh?
What time are you up? Will be looking for you. I'll be with the Royal Hawaiian 'Ukulele band, up at 3:00pm. Ou hui hou.

Hey Fran - I work two days a week as the Switzer Gallery in Tiburon, right next door to Eric. Needless to say, his windows are covered with drool marks - mine. I'll go check out a Morton.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  07:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I'll be at the Uke Festival at least part of the day, but I hadn't heard about the Gryphon event, and Saturday is already booked up for me.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  01:10:04 AM  Show Profile
My kumu ukulele Michelle Kiba is putting all of her students on stage around 10:45, I believe. I think it will be more like a mob gone haywire...We are playing a paniolo medley and it should be quite a spectacle. Look out for the stampede! Hope to see some old friends there. Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  02:23:02 AM  Show Profile
Ooooh, Fran!
Walked into Eric's and picked up that Morton 'ukulele. Really nice to play, what a hoot it is, I imagine the songs of the 30's and 40's swing time even bettah for this one than Hawaiian music. Hope you get to try it soon.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  03:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Cathe, I stay away from that place as much as I can. I'm not buying any more instruments I'm not buying any more instruments I'm not ...

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  10:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Fran, you can try mine tomorrow. I think the one at Schoenberg's is John Morton's last one, at least for a while, as he's building other things right now.

I went to Jim Beloff's workshop today and had the opportunity to play a Flea - it's a great little instrument, and for only $109!

The resonator uke really keeps up with other resonator instruments. We're playing one Hawaiian song and a couple of Hapa-haoles tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  02:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
John, any idea what time you will be on?

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  02:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Fran,
John and I will be on at 1:45. We'll both be hanging around most of the day so I'm sure we'll see you.

Gary

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  5:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Well I guess I'm the first one back from the festival - we had a dinner date on the calendar so I had to cut it short, but I made sure to stay around for Aloha Keleawe. You guys sure had the audience buzzing with all those shiny instruments. I also ran into Cathe and Julie and Donley, and just roamed around with a big dumb grin on my face surrounded by ukuleles and Island sounds and wishing I could have stayed longer.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  9:42:53 PM  Show Profile
It was lots of fun. Too bad they were running EARLY - we went on a full 10 minutes before we were scheduled to, and my wife and a couple friends missed our performance. Nevertheless, it managed to end almost an hour late anyway.

There were some great ukes there - I played the new Flea, a "Northern" uke knockoff called a Triumph (the triangle-shaped guitar James Hill plays), and got to hear some great music - not all of it in the auditorium. The Cheap Suit Serenaders were set up in the shade and played for a couple of hours. John Morton (who made my uke) was playing with them, as well as several other folks. A great time!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000