Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 No. Calif. Uke Festival 2003
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  01:11:13 AM  Show Profile
Yo, I just dragged my tired body away from the dinner table to say that today's festival was just great fun. Impossible, though, to look through all the vendor's ukes, listen to the impromptu kanikapilas outside, eat the ono grinds AND catch all the great music inside. I only caught Aloha Keleawe for their last song. I did get to see Cynthia and Lawrence Bryant onstage with Hiram Bell. I have to say that Hiram is doing some great things with his classes, I was very impressed with the fingerpicking. (I'm still trying to remember all the basic chords!) I also got to meet Fran, and see Cathe and her sister Elizabeth, Diane, and Donley. Such fun to see far-away friends.

Michelle Kiba, my kumu ukulele, is a great entertainer, and we sure had fun doing several paniolo numbers this morning. If you saw some whacky folks with comboy hats on, that was my group! Yawn.... tomorrow I start practicing for the next gig. Aloha, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 04/28/2003 01:18:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  01:14:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh, by the way, I think I may get one of those "fleas" for traveling to Hawai'i. It should not have any trouble with humidity and it actually had a great sound for a little tyke. Jim Beloff says it might take a while, but I should get on the list. Oh, that dusty lime green color should go well with most any outfits! Julie
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  2:35:35 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I wasn't sure which of the 38 people onstage for your performance was you. Interesting selection of songs - the best version of "Rawhide" since the Blues Brothers movie! The two hula dancers were very good as well.
Go to Top of Page

Crotalus
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  2:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Crotalus's Homepage
This was great fun, even for us ki'hoalu players. I so full because of the supah dupah chicken teriyaki/kalbi plate. I didn't have room for dinner!
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  02:26:46 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou.

It was great fun to see you all up there onstage, John and Julie and Cynthia - you'll all remember me in the audience, I was the one shouting "hana hou"! <G> "Nex' yeah look for me wit' the Royal Hawaiian Band...
Dat festival is da kine. I have the T-shirt to prove it, too.
Looking forward to the kanikapila and seeing you all again...

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  09:31:32 AM  Show Profile
Gee whiz, I forgot to mention the San Jose Uke Academy! Cynthia, were you playing lead most of the time? From my seat WAY WAY in the back (2nd row from the end) it looked like (1) you were picking out most of the solos (which sounded GREAT) and (2) you were really enjoying yourself. Lawrence, you seemed to be having a good time yourself. And of course, the young girl who will be playing at the festival in Hawaii this year was wonderful - it's great to see someone take an interest in uke so young, and play so well!
Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  5:36:05 PM  Show Profile
Aloha John,
You are right; I was enjoying myself surrounded by 1500 people who love Hawaiian music, 'ukuleles and food. Heaven! And they served delicious vegetarian pasteles!

All of us in the San Jose 'Ukulele Academy played different parts in our 1st song thanks to Hiram's talent at arranging. The other 2 songs we played together and perhaps if we'd had more mics, that would have been more obvious. Glad you liked the music. I'd love to see Catherine and Hiram play at the festival on Oahu.

Too bad your family missed your performance! You, Gary and Jim sounded like you had been playing together a long time! Let us know when you'll perform again. It was great to meet you.

Aloha Julie,
Michelle's group was too cute! (John, Julie was the one with a black hat sitting in front of Larry who wore a red bandana around his neck.) I liked how your whole group took off their hats at the end. Your hula dancers stole the show!

Aloha Cathe,
We'll be looking for you next year for sure!

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000