Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tunings?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  07:53:40 AM  Show Profile
I am relatively new to the magical paradise that is slack key guitar, and have almost exclusively played in Taropatch tuning my entire "career" in the Taropatch.

Recently, via instructional books and DVDs, I've begun to explore other tunings, such as F Wahine and C Wahine. I'm curious as to what tunings other slack key players are using, or have experimented with in the past, and their opinions, pros, cons, etc.

Any comments would be most appreciated!

Mahalo,
Ben Sterling
(Stuck in Standard Tuning Central Texas)

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  08:45:23 AM  Show Profile
I am particularly fond of the Leonard's F (CFCGCE) and Keola's C (CGDGBE) tunings for slack. I have played with some others and my favorite song to play is in an unfortunately unique tuning for which I only have that one song--E Ku'u Morning Dew in CGCGAD. Each tuning has it's particular voice, and if you play with several you will find that in many cases the intervals and chord shapes move from one set of strings to another, but stay similar. Therefore playing in more than one tuning doesn't turn out to be that strange or daunting. You can also come to find a sequence of tunings that allow you to change from one to another with minimal knob twisting on stage (e.g., two strings from Taro to Keola's and vice versa; two from Keolas to Standard, one from Keola's to Drop C (CDGDBD) etc.)
Keeping two guitars on stage, as Keola Beamer does, also helps minimize tuning in front of the audience. I have also found that different guitars sound sweeter in different tunings. Play with it. There are also some other cool, non slack, tuning like DADGAD that are fun to play with.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  09:27:58 AM  Show Profile
I also like Keola's C but I am especially fond of F Wahine. Problem is that hardly anyone else besides Keola writes for those tunings. On the positive side, he has a lot of songs for each.
Another one I like is Atta's C but there are so few done in that tuning. Johne Keawe uses it tuned to Bb(ref- Beautiful Hula Dancer CD).

I would not want play for an audience and do everything in G Major.
Playing music all in one tuning, like Taropatch--my favorite BTW, can make good tunes to seem so ordinary. G after G after G! Know what I mean? If you do one tuning all the time, think about Capo'ing up for a few songs here and there.

You can also tune down to F taropatch and capo up to G. Remove the capo for a few songs and everything is good again.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 01/09/2009 09:43:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  8:21:29 PM  Show Profile
I use taro patch almost exclusively. On a gig, it is fairly easy to play in D and, of course G. C is not difficult, either, but I will sometimes drop the 6th string to get the low C bass.
Go to Top of Page

vscotth
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  10:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit vscotth's Homepage
Hi Ben,

After Taro Patch, I think two of the more useful tunings to check out are G Wahine (D-G-D-F#-B-D), also known as Double Slack and Auntie Alice Namakelua's G Tuning; and Dropped C (C-G-D-G-B-D), also known as Atta's C.

If you're looking for a different slack key "sound" from a tuning, G Wahine will give you that. The signature sound of this tuning is the hammer on the third string first fret, going from the major 7th (F#) to the tonic (G). There's lots of material to practice in this tuning, and much recorded material to listen to for inspiration.

Some of my favorite examples:

1. Whee Ha Swing (a technique showpiece), Hawaiian Lullabye, and Malasadas by Sonny Chillingworth
2. Pailolo by Keola Beamer
3. Ki Ho'Alu by Led Kaapana
4. Paniolo Slack Key by Auntie Alice Namakelua
5. Punahele, Wa'ahila by Ray Kane

Dropped C tuning has the C root on the sixth string, with the rest of the strings the same as Taro Patch, so the chord shapes on the first five strings are the same. Some great songs in this tuning include:

1. Pua Lilelehua by Keola Beamer and Sonny Chillingworth
2. We O Ke Ani Ani by Sonny Chillingworth
3. Kaua'i Beauty by Gabby Pahinui, Paul Togioko, Jeff Peterson
4. Hi'ilawe by (everybody, but...) Gabby Pahinui, Cyril Pahinui, Ray Kane, Sonny Chillingworth, Sonny Lim
5. Hula Blues by Leonard Kwan
6. Aloha 'Oe by Ozzie Kotani

(Note: the attributions above refer to the performers, not authors)

Then, for grins, if you tire of slack key tunings, you can always revert to standard tuning (E-A-D-G-B-E) and try Punahoa Special, as written and played by Fred Punahoa in the key of A. This song was also recorded by Led Kaapana, among others.

Next, I'd suggest trying out the D Wahine tuning -- lots of available material there, and also the Mauna Loa tunings, with their characteristic sweet sound.

All of that said, Taro Patch still offers a significant range of musical sounds and chordal variations -- it doesn't have to be all G, C and D7. Case in point: listen to Michael Kaawa's "Sepania Slack" on "Hawaiian Slack Key Kings". It's played in G minor, a beautiful flamenco flavored piece in (I think) Phrygian mode. It's not classical slack key, but in this piece, Michael demonstrates some of the range of the Taro Patch tuning.

Closer to the slack key traditional style, Ozzie Kotani demonstrates the range and richness of Taro Patch in his album "To Honor a Queen, The Music of Lili`uokalani". Ozzie's arrangements involve chordal harmonies that range well beyond the major triads.

The best suggestion I can make is to listen to as much of the music as you can, and experiment with the tunings that sound best to your ear.
Go to Top of Page

slackkey808
Akahai

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  01:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Dropped C is also good for just figuring out "vocal" songs and putting them into intrumentals. You can even play "Canon" though I only know the beginning. Whatever sounds good to you, go for it.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  05:31:40 AM  Show Profile
not to be picky, but I believe Atta's C is C-G-E-G-C-E; at least according to Uncle Cyril.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 01/10/2009 05:32:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  07:45:00 AM  Show Profile
Chunk, you are correct. Dropped C (C-G-D-G-B-D) is "Leonard's C", after Leonard Kwan.

A brazen personal plug (but thank Craig), if anyone still cares:
http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/attasc.pdf

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

vscotth
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  12:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit vscotth's Homepage
Arrghh! (wiping egg from face...) Temporary lolo or something, but Dropped C is also "Leonard's C", and sometimes called "Taro Patch C', probably because it's so close to Taro Patch...

Also, Reid's paper (see previous post) on Atta's C is a must-read for anyone interested in this tuning. It's thorough and informative, and discusses both the strengths and weaknesses of the tuning.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000