Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 I've got two gigs!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  3:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
fran, i just saw this thread. yow! have fun!

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  5:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Fran,

I enjoyed your "Rick Ruskin in Walnut Creek" review at the 13thfret. Tried to reply over there but was having trouble.

Sounds like it was a great time, but how was the opening act?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  5:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Andy,

The Rick Ruskin show was one of those good news | bad news things for me. The good news, I got through my material with less choke factor than usual, and it's always useful to get to practice my "rap" for introducing the tunes. The bad news that Rick has such a compelling concept and delivery that I want to quit playing.

But I guess with all the bent wood I have around the house that's not really an option <g>.

Rick gave me time to do three tunes, so I opened with "Ku`u Ipo Onaona," then I was able to debut my second composition, a waltz that I'm calling "Ku`u Lina" for my sweet sweetie. I hope to get an mp3 up on my site someday. I finished up with "Waialua Slack Key" and all three tunes got a warm reception from the nice folks in attendance.

The Cyril/Patrick gig coming up is great motivation to do a lot of practicing, I gotta tell you.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  7:34:39 PM  Show Profile
Fran,
I have problems with stage fright and have recently used a hypnotherapist. I think it has been a big help.If you're interested, drop me a note. Good luck at hukilau.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  01:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Fran,

I hear you. I've seen people play and say to myself, "We're not playing the same instrument! What am I doing trying to play this thing?!?!"

But from your good news, it sounds like a success. Luckily Rick Ruskin is not playing slack key, yeah? I had the pleasure of speaking to Patrick Landeza by phone last week. Sounds like your coffee house playing and other 'public' playing is really helping your playing/performing. Good for you! It's an inspiration for me to get out of my own livingroom every now and then.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  4:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Start now Andy!!!!HA!!

Patrick

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  10:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
My kumu gets the credit for my progress, Andy. Patrick has been so very generous in encouraging me and inviting me to play alongside him that it inspires me to keep pushing. One of my peak moments of musical joy was playing his "Monorail Slack Key" in front of him when he was doing a coffeehouse gig in San Francisco. Another big step for me was taking a set at one of his restaurant gigs and having him nudge me to really cut loose. It's so inspirational to have an artist of his caliber offering his support.

I remember when I first came to Patrick for lessons, I was hoping to find someone who could keep me from going astray, help me learn to stay true to the spirit of the music. He certainly did that, but he has done so much more.

Mahalo nui loa, Patrick, you know I'll always owe you big,
Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  02:13:37 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Fran....
Best of luck with your second gig - wanted to come to the Hukilau, but have a Board meeting first Tuesdays <sigh>
Mahalo for your help at the 'Uke Festival Sunday - wasn't that a hoot? Sure hope Lynn will come nex' year.

cathe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000