Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Taro Patch G revisited
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  2:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I have oficially given F Kilauea subjects a much needed reprieve; however I am revisiting G Taro Patch, again. As an afterthought; with all this playing experience here I'll inject the much used supposition: "If you were to start all over again and using your playing experience of all the known tuning(s); which would you reccomend for the novice searching for a tuning that will be the: (1)easiest to adapt to(from standard tuning), (2)adaptability (can be used for most/all music genre),(3) in the key of G, and (4) can be strummed or have the ability to play along when you are putting full emotion into your singing (I can Half-okole walk and chew gum at the same time; yet when I really want to hurry and focus on walking, the gum chewing stops).

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  2:25:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
(3) in the key of G

Gosh, that's a hard one. Ummm, wait, I think I've got it.... Taropatch????

Seriously-- I have used this as the entry point for students for many years. Why? Because of all the things you mention. Save #3--- which is actually a drawback for people playing with uke-a-bangers.

Taropatch lends itself to a quick immersion into the style. Students can progress as slowly, or as quickly, as they like and it always sounds good. It is a great introduction to bass/finger independence because you have the tonic & dominant basses right handy. Chords are a piece of cake.

That being said, I've been playing in this tuning for many, many years, and I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do.

FWI: When I was first trying to figure out how to play slack, I stumbled into what I now know are G6 (DGDGBE), D69 (DADF#BE) and "C major" (CGCGCE), among a few others.

Funny, because I'd played bottleneck (badly) in "Spanish" (G major - DGDGBD) for years--just never thought to try to find those slack key sounds I was looking for in it.

Edited by - Mark on 01/23/2009 2:27:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  4:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
Aha! I'm on to something, Bradda Kai said "truss da sensei", so sensei what next? Bradda Kai said to get the bass down and I have (to a degree, my wife say all she can hear is the bass, must be deaf, yeah?)My baby brother Pastor Wayne Cordeiro is an accomplished singer and guitarist (on you tube) whom I would like to be able to accompany. Anyway what should I do next.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000