Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 old song "malihini"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  2:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi all,

i've been buried in university work, but this song came up on my iTunes while i was trying to fix a broken programming assignment. it sure sounds like john pi`ilani watkins singing it. i tried copying down the verses, but i don't think i got it all right. does anyone know the actual verses? here's what i got:

-------

Malihini haole boy come from kaliponi
A makano ka`a blue eyed baby oh boy boy and how

(Visiting haole boy, come from California
automobile? blue eyed baby oh boy boy and how)

Malihini sailor boy ku`u pu`uwai
E honi honi nei ku`u pola oh boy boy and how

(Visiting sailor boy, my dear heart
Let's kiss here, my dear bowl/flap of malo?? oh boy boy and how)

Malihini solja boy e ho`i mai kaua
E hele `ia `oe ki`i `one`one a oh boy boy and how

(Visiting soldier boy come here
Let's go to the movies oh boy boy and how)

Ha`ina `ia mai ana ka puana
E makano ka`a blue eyed baby oh boy boy and how

--------

aloha,
keith

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  3:57:02 PM  Show Profile
Maybe iin first verse should be something about maka no ka blue eyed baby - the eyes of the blue eyed baby???

Maybe verse 2, pola should be polu -- blue eyes?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  8:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Keith,

I love this song, it's on my Vintage Hawaiian Treasures Volume 4 "Mele Hula -Hawaiian Style" CD, bought straight from Auntie Maria at mele.com. And it is John Pi'ilani Watkins, although I could swear it's a group of ladies having fun with this song!

Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 01/19/2009 8:18:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  02:28:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

hi all,

i've been buried in university work, but this song came up on my iTunes while i was trying to fix a broken programming assignment. it sure sounds like john pi`ilani watkins singing it. i tried copying down the verses, but i don't think i got it all right. does anyone know the actual verses? here's what i got:

I do love to see these obscure songs come to light again. But I always hesitate to join in the loose interpretations and attempt to decipher the Hawaiian. There is an 80/20 chance we'll get it wrong.

That being said, I have a tremendous interest in this song for a long time. It is John Pi`ilani Watkins' Malihini. I looked for the lyrics in the Bishop Museum Archives but came up empty. However, this song uses a number of common expressions heard in other Hawaiian songs with which we are probably all quite familiar.

I believe the first verse (and part of the last) is much like a verse in Noho Paipai and should read like this:

Malihini haole boy come from kaliponi
Ma ka nose kaua blue eyed baby, oh boy boy and how

(Visiting haole boy, come from California
But when we kiss, blue eyed baby, oh boy boy and how!)

The additional vowel you hear at the beginning of the second line - that "uh" (a ma ka nose...) - is probably not part of the lyric but just a form of personal expression in getting the lyric out. There are many such additional syllables I hear when different singers interpret (emotionally, not literally) the song - like the way Auntie Vicki sang Hali`ilua.

Ka`onohi o ka la ma-ha-la-ma-ha-la-ma-ha-la (for malamalama la)

The second verse is likely:

Malihini sailor boy ku`u pu`uwai
E honi honi nei ku`u poli oh boy boy and how

... "e honi honi nei ku`u poli" another frequently used expression.

I hope this helps.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  3:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
maika`i loa, thank you for the help!

i'd like to work this song into something, and i hate to sing a song without knowing what i'm singing (and what it should be).

bill, the line you were thinking of in Noho Paipai was maybe "ma ka ihu kaua kama`aina"? so, you're thinking that the english word "nose" is being used in place of "ihu"?

thank you again, aloha
keith

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  07:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

bill, the line you were thinking of in Noho Paipai was maybe "ma ka ihu kaua kama`aina"? so, you're thinking that the english word "nose" is being used in place of "ihu"?

Yes. In fact, I very rarely hear "ma ka ihu" despite that's what is written. I more often hear "ma ka nose" when sung/recorded by old timers (meant respectfully, not disparagingly).

This is, of course, a reference to the now long gone custom of touching noses when greeting each other rather than a kiss on the lips.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  9:33:09 PM  Show Profile
Keith,

Are you going to FEB AMC? If so, I'd love to work with you on this song. I love it as well...

Hugs, Julie
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  12:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi julie! i can't break my teaching schedule, so we're going to miss the february camp. it would be fun to work on this song with you - we need to plan a trip north...

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000